Death in the party

Janx

Hero
That is the basic conflict here. I think for a couple of the players, it would become a rather constant reminder that he wasn't in his chair at the table. If they group were not already pulling close to dealing with the BBEGs, it wouldn't jump readily to mind - but as it is I have the thought that pulling it more quickly to a close might be better than adding more BBEGs for the future. Every good story has a beginning, a middle, and an end, and it may be that we want to end this one, and start a new one.

Well, go with your gut. You don't score points for self flagellation.

If nothing else, maybe put it on hiatus, and come back to it in a year or so you guys can vanquish some evil in your friend's memory.

Talk to you crew. You knew that already. And the good thing about hiatus, is it has no expiry. Maybe y'all will pick it up again, maybe not.

Whirligig

First Post
Our group went through this a few years ago. Our friend, NGRI, passed unexpectedly due to a blood clout from surgery due to a pinched nerve. After a few weeks of hiatus, we sat down as a group, talked about it together and decided to honor his character by creating a proper complete resolution and reason for his character's departure from the team - not dead, but off on other exciting adventures. We continued to play the campaign, not by forgetting him/or his character but by smiling every time his character was mentioned.

Also, every year at Gencon, we raise a glass to him and some of our other gamer friends as a way to continue to celebrate them.

Honestly, talking to the group is probably the best course of action and then doing what you all feel is appropriate.

I'm sorry you are going through this. :(

I also want to express my best wishes to you and your friend.

We unexpectedly lost my brother-in-law in 2000 (%#$&ing diabetes), and he was such an integral part of our gaming group that two members walked away from the hobby altogether and haven't played since.

The campaign ended at that point, but a year or so later I rebooted the campaign world and wrote an ending to their story. A century had passed in-game, and the PCs from the old campaign were now heroes of legend. Tony's character in particular went out in truly heroic fashion, defeating an invading demon lord in an epic one-on-one duel, saving the elven homeland from certain destruction at the demon's hands. It may not seem like much to anyone else, but for my sister (his widow, one of the two who hasn't gamed since) and I it was something to talk about and smile, knowing how much he would have liked it.

Scrivener of Doom

Adventurer
We had a couple of deaths in a close-knit group of friends in our late teens (suicide, drunk driving) and gaming was ignored for a year or so afterwards. (I'm 45 now.) Reality bites... and suddenly gaming just doesn't have the same hold on you. Sadly, boozing does... which probably explains why I am a teatotaller now.

CSwizzy

First Post
My best friend and original DM passed away 8 years ago at the waaay too young age of 28 from Cancer after serving in the military. Our core group hasn't really been the same since. We still hang out all the time and even try to start up a campaign here and there but they've always fallen apart and no one has ever permanently taken up the DM role. I think this is for a couple of reasons:

1. Family life has gotten in the way
2. I think that my deceased friend was the glue that kept the gaming group focuses and together.
3. I think my deceased friend left incredibly big shoes to fill as a DM because he was amazing at what he did.
4. It just doesn't feel the same without him.

I have finally taken it upon myself to step up to the DM role, which I have never done before. I did a trial campaign last year and I think things went really well but my work schedule got in the way. I fully intend to start up another campaign (now that I have a set schedule) when 5th ed comes out and it should go by even smoother considering I learned a LOT from my trial campaign. The thing I learned is I can't try to do things exactly like how my deceased friend did. I know that he would have loved to see me take up the DM mantle, but he would have wanted me to do things my way. I do get a lot of inspiration from how he ran things, but I definitely put my own spin on things.

But to be completely honest, it still hurts from time to time. Anytime I do anything involving RPGs, I always think of him because he's the one who introduced me to everything. The thing that gets me through it is knowing that he would be happy just to see any of us continuing to play.

If I can't get a campaign going with the old group, I will start with a new group of people. If the absence of my friend has affected things the way I think they have, I will need to move on and game with another group. My deceased friend said before he passed that no matter what game it is or who you're playing with, keep gaming, don't let his death stop that at all.

I just wish it didn't take 8 years for me to finally realize this, but reading this post and seeing someone else go through what I did definitely made me think things out.

So TLDR: It will probably hurt to carry on without your friend but just think about the good times and if need be find another group to get away from it for a while.

Remove ads