December Dragon & Dungeon - the Hiatus begins

Warunsun

First Post
Who thinks the mags will be relaunched and not just retired?

There is a strong possibility that they would be retired in-favor of a new digital delivery format. They aren't magazines anymore and during most of the digital lifespan they were treated as separate articles appearing in bits for those that were interested. There is however a strong nostalgic memory footprint from days of the real Dragon & Dungeon magazines. Since 5E marketing is tied to this nostalgic angle there is also a good possibility that they would return as digital issues. I think this is less likely but possible. I think it is 100% certain that they will not return as real periodicals. Wizards isn't in that kind of buisness. Only the magic of TSR made it happen.

Jeremy E Grenemyer

Feisty
Supporter
My subscription was set to expire at the end of December. I bought it for content in Dragon and Dungeon only. I'm disappointed WotC failed to release the December issues in freaking December.

Not feeling very accomplished for having paid for a month's worth of nothing.

Complaining aside, I hope they return to a print format and that their content spans ALL editions of the game.

Dungeoneer

First Post
Print ain't coming back, kids.

At this point there are few print magazines in ANY market that are profitable. Dungeon and Dragon ain't TIME, Sports Illustrated or The Economist.

Last edited:

Jan van Leyden

Adventurer
My subscription was set to expire at the end of December. I bought it for content in Dragon and Dungeon only. I'm disappointed WotC failed to release the December issues in freaking December.

Ummh, have you tried accessing DDI after your subscription ran out? It might be worth a shot.

Scrivener of Doom

Adventurer
I hope Chris Perkins's new role means he's overseeing adventures... and those responsible for Keep on the Shadowfell and Pyramid of Smelly Stuff are not.

Two issues are almost out. (snip)

Damn, I lost a bet. My money was on these being released on 15Jan14.

(snip) Who thinks the relaunched mags will be available in print?

No way.

WotC has destroyed whatever goodwill they once had in the distribution channels for their mags. Anyway, I'm sure they're doing better financially offering them as PDF only.

Who thinks the mags will be relaunched and not just retired?

Honestly? It would not surprise me at all if it's announced after Next (or whatever it is called) is released that there is a new wave of retrenchments and, as a result, they won't be providing the mags anymore. I do not think they have yet worked out their revised business model for the new edition other than that it's going to be different to the model they have used in the past.

Right now their statements that the mags are on hiatus don't carry a lot of weight.

Dungeoneer

First Post
I hope Chris Perkins's new role means he's overseeing adventures... and those responsible for Keep on the Shadowfell and Pyramid of Smelly Stuff are not.

Sadly, one of the people who wrote KotS was... Mike Mearls.

Honestly? It would not surprise me at all if it's announced after Next (or whatever it is called) is released that there is a new wave of retrenchments and, as a result, they won't be providing the mags anymore. I do not think they have yet worked out their revised business model for the new edition other than that it's going to be different to the model they have used in the past.

Right now their statements that the mags are on hiatus don't carry a lot of weight.

I somewhat agree, but I think if they're going to continue to offer DDI as a subscription service they will need ongoing content to make that subscription attractive. And that content might as well be called "Dungeon" and "Dragon".

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases