Defenders of Daybreak, The Early Years.

Welverin

First Post
Sialia said:

In the days of the Comet Cycle, the Defenders were being hunted by a whole lot of high level Unholy Assasins of Toraz (ptooie.) And the little jerks were spying on us ALL the time. It was really irritating.

Good story. I have one question though, would you mind explaining the Comet Cycle a bit? Thanks.

thatdarncat

Overlord of Chat
Sialia said:
(PS: This thread will continue to be used to fill in long digressive bits of backstory like this, as long as folks keep asking for them and letting me know which stories they want to hear and aren't particular about what order things happened in. If we ever get enough notes together to begin a new chronologically accurate backstory, we'll start a new thread. This one is long enough as it is!)

You do realize that there will not be an end to our questions until you all sit down and figure out everything that can be remembered and write it all down?

Speaking of which.... you keep mentioning the being buried in sand bit.... so explain? :p

Negative Zero

First Post
Sialia said:
...nobody especially suggested anything that would be for the Greater Dylrath. ...

now that line is just PRICELESS!!! awesome story. the more i read aout you guys the more jealous i am of your game! *sigh* ;)

~NegZ

Sialia

First Post
Ok, it's definitely getting way too late for this. I'm beat. I don't think my brain can hold any more, guys.

Damned if I know whether I'll pass that exam, but you did the best you could with what you had to work with. Let's call it a day.

I owe ya' one. What's your pleasure? You want something simple tonight, or something extravagant after I've passed the exam and had a chance to sleep it all off? Look, Htarlyd's snoring in his frame, maybe we oughta wait until after. You know I'm good for it.

A what? A story? You're kidding, right? Stories aren't payment, they're practically free. I gotta million of 'em. Most of the time I gotta buy somebody a couple of rounds before anyone wants to sit through one of my yarns. Sure. How about the one about Claris and the Tree full of Ravens? No? The Auction in Sigil? No?

Oh.

That one.

Look, truth, I've never had any contract with the Bard's Hall. I get caught selling stories, I could be in a lot of trouble. Whaddya say we just wake Htarlyd up and go check in on the ladies dressing rooms at the Legerdemain and call it square, hey?

Right.

All right all right, deal's a deal.

"Buried up to the Neck in Sand." Sheesh. How does word of this stuff get around? Fine. But if I don't pass this test, everybody's gonna know who prepped me for it.

Right. We were walking. We walked a lot in those days, don't ask me why. We got ambushed a lot, too, in those days. Part of the fun of walking. And there was this girl--I don't remember her name. Clit, or something like that. Honest, we hardly paid any attention to her. A bunch of thugs attacked us, we fought 'em off, Master Deltarion got nailed with some kind of rod that sucked some of the life outta him, and we dealt with the lot of 'em.

I dunno who killed her--Nolin, maybe? I remember she went down headfirst in the stream . . .right, right--Nolin nailed her with one of his insatiable thirsts, only, when she hit the water she was too wounded to swim, and we let her drown and figured good riddance.

And we squashed the rest of the crew, too, but I don't remember how they died. Apart from the soul sucking rod, it was pretty routine.

Skiltor--that's right--a mage named Skiltor Rhun we'd pissed off sent them after us. A buncha flunkies. She was one of them. The frog headed mook was more interesting really, and Nolin got this great wand offa him that had the coolest activation word ever, but nobody thought twice about her. She just picked the wrong day to be an assasin for hire, that's all.

Arcade really had his nose out of joint about that combat for the longest time. Said the damned rod took ten years off his life. Said there wasn't anything anybody could do about it, even Velendo. Yadda yadda whine whine.

Anyway, a while later, we chased a Super-Dopple-Mimic to Oursk--you sure you don't want to hear the story of the Great Showdown with Ambassador SuperDopp instead? Greatest death of any of Tao's dogs ever, really, really gory . . . right, another time then.

Right right, I'm getting to the buried in sand part. All this background stuff is important, really.

There was this list of stolen books and instructions we got out of the saddlebags of Ambassador SuperDopp, after we pulped him and he drizzled away into the ground.

And that list was really important.

We didn't know what the Brotherhood of Night were up to, in those days. We knew they wanted to eradicate the sun, but we figured they were a bunch of psychos and we weren't taking them real seriously.

We had this list, "Top Ten Ways to Get Rid of the Sun: 1. Put a bag over your head. The sun will go away. 2. Stare at the sun without blinking for ten minutes. The Sun will go away."3. Place a sharp object into the center of each of your eyes. The Sun will go away . . ." and so on. So sue me. It seemed funny at the time.

Anyway, the stolen books were all kinds of prophecies and astrological crap. "My duck, his beak is as wide as a riverway!" and a whole lot of other nonsensical ravings.

But the list also had an itinerary, and some notes about a rendezvous point, passwords, contacts, and stuff like that. And a really disturbing little list of some of our friends and relations.

So we decided to look into it. Keep the Ambassador's appointment's for him, as it were.

And then there was all that business with losing Htarlyd in the Wild Magic Zone--yeah, and the room, too and everything in it--which included all our backup supplies and stuff . . .

Sigh.

Busted holy bricks, it's late. Tell you what. How 'bout I finish this tomorrow? It got kind of complicated from here and I'll want to check my notes when I can see straight again . . . you know I'm good for it, right? Cut me a few hours slack so I can get some sleep in before the exam, and I'll throw in some audio visuals, free.

Some of them visuals, they're worth seeing.

Last edited:

Sialia

First Post
Interlude. A few spells Dylrath worked up for his midterm exams.

*Dylrath's Blatant and Irresponsible Misuse of Magik
Creates a little illusiory lady (about three inches high) who dances on a floor or tabletop. If you can tag her without squashing her, she exposes anatomy, briefly and then starts dancing again. Lasts a few rounds. You can tag her lots of times, but if you squash her, the dweomer ends. No limit to number of players permitted. She moves faster as the spell nears duration.

* Gotcherfoot
Grabs target by one foot and hauls that foot to a height of six feet. May be laid as a glyph or cast directly onto a target.

* Spelly Watermelon
Requires one piece of fruit as a component, prefereably a melon. When cast the spellcaster decides on a time delay up to 1 day per level of caster. When time expires, the fruit explodes. Messily.

* Glomp
Spellcaster makes a gesture like blowing a kiss. A small magical dweomer with the texture of a fleshy object flies to target and affixes itself over the target's mouth, or nose and mouth, preventing breath, speech, or the passage of objects through the orifice.

* Locate Eggplante
Replaces one random spell in target's memorized arsenal with a spell that tells them the location of the nearest eggplant

* Rain of Fish
Causes 100 pickled herring to fall out of the sky onto target.
Actually, 100 of anything, but the caster has to swallow the prototype item whole without chewing. Chewed items are too nasty. The conjured items last a couple of rounds and then vanish.

* Dylrath's Bucket
Cast the spell on a bucket (or similar object--kettle, cauldron, chamber pot, etc.) and leave the item lying somewhere (such as in a room where folks aren't supposed to be snooping).
When someone steps into a five foot radius of the object, they become unaware of the item's existence until they have inexorably been compelled to place at least one foot (or other limb) into the bucket, whereupon the item sticks. It hangs on until a dispel magic or remove curse is cast, or the bucket fails a structural strength check. There is no reason the bucket has to be empty at the time of casting. Makes one hell of a mousetrap if you bait it with peanuts.
Also works fine falling from on top of a half-opened door onto someone's head.

Last edited:

Sialia

First Post
I would looove it, but you have to post it somewhere and stick a link to it here, ok?

I didn't post alll the doodads about the spells, 'cause I wrote 'em back in second ed, and haven't a clue about 3rd ed spell design reqs. Your 3rd ed translations would save me a lot of work.

Hey, and time I don't spend doing my own spell resarch is time I can spend spinning yarns, right? So it's right in the spirit of things.

Also, if you get to use 'em in gametime, I wanna hear about it!

More story to come soon.

Maybe more spells, too, if there's interest. I got a million of 'em!

KidCthulhu

First Post
I've always liked Rain of Fish. Much better than Reign of Fish, which is icky.

Hmm, but the question is can one swallow a poodle whole?

Sialia

First Post
Hey! I've got an Arcade style verbal component for one of my spells. It just came to me in a flash:

"Spelling melon,
Melon dwelling.
Melon swelling ,
Rebelling, propelling, expelling, shelling.
Melon smelling."

Whadya think?

Jobu

First Post
Sialia said:
Skiltor--that's right--a mage named Skiltor Rhun we'd pissed off sent them after us. A buncha flunkies. She was one of them. The frog headed mook was more interesting really, and Nolin got this great wand offa him that had the coolest activation word ever, but nobody thought twice about her. She just picked the wrong day to be an assasin for hire, that's all.

Other memorable events in the ambush were: Tom Tom with the metal pot glued to his head, Nollin getting possesed by a weapon, Tao kissing Nollin to stop his casting while being possesed, and this battle is where Rule #2 comes from "No gloating before striking".

I don't remember what type of weapon it was but Nollin was Bye-Bye. He tried to attack the party with and Tao grabbed him and head-butted him, when that didn't work she planted a big kiss on him so he couldn't say his verbal components.

Back in 2e Psions couldn't use thier powers through metal so putting a pot on Tom Tom's head was the "flunkies" idea of taking him out of the combat. Which is also the situation that caused us to stop gloating before attacking. One of the "Bad guys" had Tom Tom flat on his back with single diget hit points and had something taunting to say before he attacked....and fumbled horribly.

Remove ads