BiggusGeekus

That's Latin for "cool"
griff_goodbeard said:
Breakfast Club

yeahthat.gif

Dark Jezter

First Post
Movie I'd watch if I could only pick one to watch: Conan the Barbarian

Movie that I feel best defines the 1980s: Ferris Bueller's Day Off (Honorable mentions for Breakfast Club and Fast Times at Ridgemont High)

Other movies that are very 1980s in terms of including 80s pop culture, hairstyles, social commentary, etc:

Red Dawn
Footloose
Risky Buisiness
Weekend at Bernie's
Sixteen Candles
Wall Street
Back to the Future trilogy
National Lampoon's Vacation
Rocky IV
Flashdance
Tron
Top Gun
Highlander
The Secret of My Success
The Karate Kid
Star Trek IV
Rambo: First Blood Part 2
Rambo III
The Goonies
E.T.

Last edited:

Angcuru

First Post
DUNE

The one put out by Artisan in 2000 is a far better representation of the story, but the '84 version is still a damned good movie. In fact, I think I'll watch it now. *yoinks off of shelf*

driver8

First Post
CarlZog said:
I'm inclined to agree about St. Elmo's Fire and your assessment of '80s culture, but I went with The Big Chill, just 'cause the narcissism of the boomers confronting adulthood resonated more broadly and had a bigger impact than that of the college kids coming of age at the same time.

Carl

I actually disagree with the whole verdict of St Elmos Fire. That movie was about growing up, all the characters were obnoxious. They were all archetypes of a sort of 80s types but I dotn think it was necessarily indicative of the whole decade.

Im more disposed to agree with Carl Zog. If you want a sense of what the 80s were like, watch the Boomer movies.Their culture dominated mostly. From the Big Chill, the 60s culture was replayed over and over all through the decade. There were wagonsloads of Vietnam movies, or movies set in the 60s. The 80 s were about 60 nostalgia and dealing with the demons of the Vietnam era (and refighting the culture battles).

The stuff you see in the Wedding Singer is wrong IMHO. The 80s were the Oliver Stone decade.

Darkness

Hand and Eye of Piratecat [Moderator]
Moved to the Movie Forum. Also, please don't have too many of these threads active at once. Thanks.

demiurge1138

Inventor of Super-Toast
The most defining movie of the decade: Ferris Bueller's Day Off.
The best movies of the decade: Aliens, Empire Strikes Back and Raiders of the Lost Ark. So good, I can't just pick one.

Demiurge out.

Remove ads