Degrees of Success / Failure

Relique du Madde

Adventurer
I know the concept of Degrees of success/failure* appears in Mutants and Masterminds (explicitly in M&M 3e), but does anyone know where it originated from?

I ask since I'm creating a dice roller app and I was thinking about including functionality that displays a roll's degree of success/failure and I figure that I might need to include the source of this mechanic as part of a ogl statement.

* For those who are not sure what the concept of degrees of failure/success is, its the notion that for 5 you roll above a DC, your success count for more (ie, you gain additional bonuses to a roll's outcome), and conversely, your failure is magnified for every points you roll under the dc.

Last edited:

ValhallaGH

Explorer
It's been around since the begining of D&D 3.0, though it wasn't explicitly called anything. It showed up for a couple of different skill and ability checks.

It's probably an older concept, but I've only been in the hobby for about 10 years, so I never messed with AD&D or its contemporaries.

I believe that specific presentation was new for 3E but the concept has been around quite a while. The AD&D pick pockets ability used the concept. A marginal failure meant nothing is gained but the thief remains unnoticed and may try again. A bad failure indicates the thief is caught red handed.

It would be interesting to find out what the earliest rpg implementation of the concept was. :)

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
Classic Deadlands has an analogous mechanic, and even has a specific name for it - every five you get over your target number, you get a "raise".

The original (faserip) Marvel Superheroes had this in spades: percentile rolls were made on a universal chart, and you could get white, green, yellow, and red rolls, with rising efficacy. And that was published back in 1984. So, the concept is pretty old.

Well

It was certainly around as far back as RuneQuest, which had the concept of fumbles, successes, special successes, and critical sucesses on pretty much all rolls.

Ken

Remove ads