• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Delaying taking a feat

kreynolds

First Post
Shard O'Glase said:
My assesmnet that it isn't going to unbalance things enough to worry about it obviously is a value assesment which others obviously disagree with.

Careful. If you say "assessment" or "obviously" much more in a single sentence, you'll twist your tounge into a knot. ;) I myself don't alloy players to hold feats. If you want a feat, wait until you qualify. Nobody has complained so far, so I guess I'm lucky.

Voadam

Legend
I've tried to find explicit rules on this in the PH and DMG as well and the closest seems to be the "this is the order you do things when you advance" sections. They don't seem explicit to me and the optional training rules in the DMG give sort of an out. If you need to train to get a feat and say you gain a level but never stop adventuring to train, and you gain more levels then train, you will have effectively saved up your feat slot.

Crothian

First Post
Voadam said:
I've tried to find explicit rules on this in the PH and DMG as well and the closest seems to be the "this is the order you do things when you advance" sections. They don't seem explicit to me and the optional training rules in the DMG give sort of an out. If you need to train to get a feat and say you gain a level but never stop adventuring to train, and you gain more levels then train, you will have effectively saved up your feat slot.

Not really. I'm a first level fighter and we go on a huge adventure that somehow allows me to get enough XP for fourth level. I have to spend my feat I gain at second level, when I advance to second level. I have to do everything that requires me to advance to second level before I can advance to third and then do everythign required at third before I get fourth.

I do not treat myserlf as a 4th level fighter for all 3 of my feats I'd be getting.

Voadam

Legend
Crothian said:

Not really. I'm a first level fighter and we go on a huge adventure that somehow allows me to get enough XP for fourth level. I have to spend my feat I gain at second level, when I advance to second level.

I do not treat myserlf as a 4th level fighter for all 3 of my feats I'd be getting.

This is the part I can not find explicit references to, the rules seem to just say it is something you do in this order when you advance levels. Under the optional DMG training rules you do not get your feat until you train. In your example when you train you are 4th level. Not second, third, and fourth. When you are training you meet the prereqs of feats you might not have met at lower levels.

Requiring you to be treated as lower level seems only to be so that it seems like you gained them at the lower levels when you first could have (with proper training). It seems an unnecesary limitation on someone who already lost out on three levels of having these feats.

kreynolds

First Post
Voadam said:
This is the part I can not find explicit references to, the rules seem to just say it is something you do in this order when you advance levels.

You just mentioned the explicit reference. It is something you do in this order, so, no mucking up the order.

Voadam said:
Under the optional DMG training rules you do not get your feat until you train. In your example when you train you are 4th level. Not second, third, and fourth. When you are training you meet the prereqs of feats you might not have met at lower levels.

Well, since the training rule is a variant rule, you can handle it however you feel is best. Myself, I would still require you to train for each level one by one. Meaning, I won't let you start practicing Spring Attack when you haven't trained for Mobility yet.

Voadam said:
Requiring you to be treated as lower level seems only to be so that it seems like you gained them at the lower levels when you first could have (with proper training). It seems an unnecesary limitation on someone who already lost out on three levels of having these feats.

Which is why I don't use the variant rule. It's a cool rule, but it sucks when you're in the middle of a massive dungeon.

Crothian

First Post
Voadam said:

This is the part I can not find explicit references to, the rules seem to just say it is something you do in this order when you advance levels. Under the optional DMG training rules you do not get your feat until you train. In your example when you train you are 4th level. Not second, third, and fourth. When you are training you meet the prereqs of feats you might not have met at lower levels.

So, you think people with the experince can jump from 1st to fourth level? Using the training rules, though, wouldn't you train to be ome second, then train to beocme third, and finally train even more to become fourth?

Isn't there a rule that you can only gain one level at a time?

Voadam

Legend
There are two optional training rules in the DMG, one is that you train for class levels, one is that you train for skills and feats. It says not to combine the two options. (at least that's how I remember it). So you could advance in levels but not get your discretionary training needed skills and feats until you got training.

Holding out on taking a new feat will also make some feats NEVER get used.

I have often said that if you find a character with perfect chains of feats that odds are that character was created at a higher level than 1.

Example. Joe the average fighter works through 1st and 2nd level and really learns to HATE clerics and their hold person spell. So at 3rd level he takes Iron Will. At 10th level he still has that Iron Will feat which really doesnt do much for him he couldnt easily duplicate with some magic. On the other hand if you create a 10th level fighter there is little chance you will pick Iron Will or any of the other Saving Throw bonus Feats.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads