D&D 5E Deleting Bonus Actions

Xeviat

Hero
Two Weapon Fighting could have been balanced without the bonus action. The only classes that would overly benefit from this are the Monk and Rogue. TWFing would become the default melee style, more so than it is now, since it wouldn't compete with the bonus action for aim or cunning action.

TWFing could have also scaled with extra attack. I've suggested this before but it usually gets overlooked:

Greatsword is 2d6+Str
Two shortswords is 1d6+Stat +1d6. There's an advantage of being able to split attacks, so that's something.

If the TWFing style didn't give stat to offhand, and, say, let you two weapon fight with nonlight weapons, then the style would be equal to the +2 damage from duelist (I'd suggest changing Great Weapon Fighting to +1d4 damage, so that it multiplies on a crit and so it's the same for 2d6s and 1d12s).

But what about magic weapons? "TWFing can stack magic weapons" you say. If you're talking about basic magic weapons, it's not a big deal and just make sure you're giving out items equally (Joe has a +1 sword and a +1 armor, Jill has a +1 sword and a +1 shield, and Jane has two +1 swords). If you're talking about special weapons, you have attunement caps and the great weapon fighter can stack a belt of giant strength and a magic greatsword so it's fine.

Rogues and monks would need to be addressed. Flurry would need to be +1 attack, martial arts would basically always be on. You'd have to accept rogues would not have to choose if they use cunning action, and you might need to do something like give the rapier no shield rogue a +2 to hit (I want that style anyway, I've done the math it's ok and cool).

auburn2

Adventurer
Two Weapon Fighting could have been balanced without the bonus action. The only classes that would overly benefit from this are the Monk and Rogue. TWFing would become the default melee style, more so than it is now, since it wouldn't compete with the bonus action for aim or cunning action.

TWFing could have also scaled with extra attack. I've suggested this before but it usually gets overlooked:

Greatsword is 2d6+Str
Two shortswords is 1d6+Stat +1d6. There's an advantage of being able to split attacks, so that's something.

If the TWFing style didn't give stat to offhand, and, say, let you two weapon fight with nonlight weapons, then the style would be equal to the +2 damage from duelist (I'd suggest changing Great Weapon Fighting to +1d4 damage, so that it multiplies on a crit and so it's the same for 2d6s and 1d12s).

But what about magic weapons? "TWFing can stack magic weapons" you say. If you're talking about basic magic weapons, it's not a big deal and just make sure you're giving out items equally (Joe has a +1 sword and a +1 armor, Jill has a +1 sword and a +1 shield, and Jane has two +1 swords). If you're talking about special weapons, you have attunement caps and the great weapon fighter can stack a belt of giant strength and a magic greatsword so it's fine.

Rogues and monks would need to be addressed. Flurry would need to be +1 attack, martial arts would basically always be on. You'd have to accept rogues would not have to choose if they use cunning action, and you might need to do something like give the rapier no shield rogue a +2 to hit (I want that style anyway, I've done the math it's ok and cool).
I think it is pretty balanced as is though.

auburn2

Adventurer
It was nova when you first wrote your post. I see that since I responded, you edited it to make it an MC'd Bladesinger-Arcane Trickster. Probably would have been nice for you to mention that.

Except your previous turn was basically wasted casting Flaming Sphere for a paltry 2d6 damage, and you immediately lose it when you cast Shadow Blade. This whole setup is a complete waste. It's literally less powerful than just casting Shadow Blade the first round at 3rd level and attacking with it every round, no exploits attempted whatsoever.

Non-nova - a 5th level Monk with PAM and dual wielder can make 5 attacks every turn, without using a single ki. spear, spear, offhand attack, martial arts, butt of spear. If he spends a ki he gets another.

This really breaks the action economy. Even just a single class, take the bladesinger for example; the game is balanced around the idea that casting shadow blade and bladesong is going to take 2 turns. That means it is round 2 until that character is full on ready for melee and that is assuming you don't use a BA on something else. Being able to use both of these the first turn of combat is a HUGE plus, it gets the character online and in the fight much quicker, and a wizard is not even a class with a ton of bonus action options.

Last edited:

DEFCON 1

Legend
Supporter
At the end of the day it doesn't matter at all what any of us say here. The only thing to do is to actually put your rules into place, run and playtest them at your table, and then see if it helps your players or only makes things worse.

My guess would be that if your players are really so blase about learning or remembering the difference between Actions and Bonus actions-- plus not actually creating for themselves a short list of like the 1-5 Bonus actions they actually have available to them so they always have that list at hand-- any rules changes or action name changes you make aren't going to help.

Personally... if I had players that refused or were unable to remember Bonus actions... I'd just not allow them to take any features that used them. "No, you can't take that spell. It uses a Bonus action and you've proven over these last 7 years you can't be trusted with them. Take a different spell." ;)

NotAYakk

Legend
So, because I want them in one place, here are proposed rules:

Bonus Action Unlimited

On your turn you can do as many bonus actions as you want, with certain limits. Only one of your bonus actions can grant an attack, and for each class feature or feat you can only do one bonus action granted by it. So a Rogue's Cunning Action permits the Rogue to Dash or Disengage as a bonus action on their turn, not both, but it does not interfere with other Bonus Actions like two weapon fighting.

Bonus actions granted by all spells count as being granted by the same feature for this purpose; so only one bonus action granted by spells on a given turn, even if you have 2 spells that both let you take a bonus action for some purpose.

As an additional rule change, you can only cast 1 spell with a level of 1 or greater on a given turn, so you cannot cast a bonus action healing word and a cure wounds spell on the same turn. This replaces the complex and confusing rules around bonus action spellcasting.

Examples:
You are a level 2 fighter/level 3 sorcerer/level 6 bladesinger using two short swords.

You cannot quicken booming blade (bonus action) and use the two-weapon fighting feature, because both are bonus actions that grant an attack. Nor can you action surge then cast fireball twice, which you could do before this rule change.

You can, however, enter bladesong, quicken fireball, do an attack action where you booming blade and attack with a short sword, then bonus action two weapon fighting attack with your offhand short sword, second wind, action surge, then greenflame blade and do another short sword attack, all on the same turn.

Prior to this rule change the bladesong bonus action would block your TWF, quicken fireball and second wind abilities that turn. Of these, only TWF wasn't using "rest reset" resources, so while the nova is slightly higher, the total daily power budget doesn't change much.

Similarly, a Moon Druid 6/Berzerker 3 can wild shape, rage, frenzy and attack on the same turn. The next turn they can do a frenzied attack in their wildshape (they can't use the frenzied attack on the turn they frenzy, only because the rules for frenzy specifically disallow it).

A gloomstalker 5 using a pair of scimitars can move up, hunter's mark a foe, and attack 4 times on the first turn of combat. If the foe dies, they can even move the HM once to another target.

A Rogue 2 gets to dash or disengage every turn of combat. If they are two weapon fighting, they can move in, attack twice, then disengage and get out for free.

Last edited:

At the end of the day it doesn't matter at all what any of us say here. The only thing to do is to actually put your rules into place, run and playtest them at your table, and then see if it helps your players or only makes things worse.

My guess would be that if your players are really so blase about learning or remembering the difference between Actions and Bonus actions-- plus not actually creating for themselves a short list of like the 1-5 Bonus actions they actually have available to them so they always have that list at hand-- any rules changes or action name changes you make aren't going to help.

Personally... if I had players that refused or were unable to remember Bonus actions... I'd just not allow them to take any features that used them. "No, you can't take that spell. It uses a Bonus action and you've proven over these last 7 years you can't be trusted with them. Take a different spell." ;)
Truth. Some players just won’t take the time to understand their character’s abilities fully no matter how we as DMs try to encourage it. In whatever way we reskin a bonus action, some players just won’t use the full suite of abilities for their character. They are at the table to have fun and socialize but, as a player, may just not be thinking about D&D most days to the extent that most DMs do. Or, like, at all until game day.

At our table, the DM tries to ask the player “anything else [your PC] wants to do this turn? Bonus action, move, whatever...”. If they don’t have an idea, sometimes we suggest something and sometimes we just conclude their turn and move on to set the scene for the next player in the initiative order.

This thread should be name Transforming bonus action into free action.
It will be a delight for optimizers! They are starving since the launch of the 5ed.
For now what I see will result into an orgy of actions at every single turn.

NotAYakk

Legend
This thread should be name Transforming bonus action into free action.
It will be a delight for optimizers! They are starving since the launch of the 5ed.
For now what I see will result into an orgy of actions at every single turn.
The thing is, I see non optimizers running into bonus action traps more than optimizers.

Optimizers know not to play a ranger.

Maybe after removing them the optimizer exploits it more?

meltdownpass

Explorer
I see no problem with bonus actions conceptually. The question is whether bonus actions are suitable for who the game is targeting. Since my group is full of old school players, we don't see a problem with it. If your target audience is a little newer to TTRPGs or more inclined towards other play styles then it may not be great for you or your group.

Remove ads