D&D General Delisting titles on the DMs Guild

LegendaryGames

Adventurer
Publisher
DMsGuild takes 50%, DriveThru takes 35% (or 30% if you're willing to make your product exclusive to DriveThruRPG, but tbh one of the main reasons you'd use DriveThru is NOT to give exclusivity).

There are reasons besides just the access to IP that creators would choose DMsGuild over DriveThru for a 5e product. DmsGuild's visibility is way higher, and WotC promotes its existence. If you're not already an established name, your overall sales of a 5E product are likely to be higher on DMsGuild than on DriveThru - enough to offset the less favorable revenue split.
It depends on how many places you want to sell things. If you're ONLY using Drivethru (either the full site or the DMG sub-section of it), then the difference is not that large. However, if you want to sell things on your own website, Amazon, as print products to sell directly to game stores, other online stores like the Open Gaming Store (or even Paizo's store), or using any form of crowdfunding, DMG does not allow that. It only allows you to sell on DMG and nowhere else.

It's all in how deep you want to get in marketing your material. If it's just for snack-and-dice money, it doesn't matter much. If you're going further--especially in terms of hiring others to work for you--DMG looks like a progressively worse deal the deeper you go.

Bupp

Adventurer
I've a few minor things on the Guild that I'll be leaving there. Like others, I make maybe a couple hundred dollars a year. Usually whenever there is a pdf I want, I can get it, and cash out some when I want to buy some Magic cards. I use it as a side hustle to subsidize my hobbies.

Will I be adding anything new? Probably not.

Remove ads