• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Demilich peeve

nijineko

Explorer
i recall discovering a third way of insta-killing acerarak from within the tomb. there is a particular gem which will grant a wish, much in the fashion of the monkey's paw. one hidden stipulation of the gem is that it will destroy (without save or chance of resurrection, iirc) anyone named in the wish. if you have some willing soul who would sacrifice themselves in order wish for something and name a certain someone....

domino

First Post
Given that it's a demilich, I don't think "equipment" is very far up on the list of "Things I Worry About."

:D
Yeah, that +6 Dex isn't the same level of threat as, say, Trap the Soul, or any of the other spells he's got. But it does argue that more than just the spells listed as exemptions to Magic Immunity can be used to affect the demilich.

nijineko

Explorer
Yeah, that +6 Dex isn't the same level of threat as, say, Trap the Soul, or any of the other spells he's got. But it does argue that more than just the spells listed as exemptions to Magic Immunity can be used to affect the demilich.

now all you have to do is figure out a way to convince the demilich to cast the spells against itself....

Eldritch_Lord

Adventurer
Would magical immunity affect his equipment as well? Gloves of dexterity, or a headband of intellect, for example?

Again, going by SR inheritance, "A creature’s spell resistance never interferes with its own spells, items, or abilities."

Given that it's a demilich, I don't think "equipment" is very far up on the list of "Things I Worry About."

:D

Oh, it's up there. Or did you forget about this:

SRD said:
Phylactery Transference (Su)

Headbands, belts, rings, cloaks, and other wearable items kept in close association with the demilich’s phylactery transfer all their benefits to the demilich no matter how far apart the demilich and the phylactery are located. The standard limits on types of items utilized simultaneously still apply.

domino

First Post
Yeah, but we're not talking about spell resistance, we're talking about outright Magic Immunity, which may or may not be the same thing.

kitcik

Adventurer
Yeah, but we're not talking about spell resistance, we're talking about outright Magic Immunity, which may or may not be the same thing.

Does it make sense that spell immunity would be worse than spell resistance 100%?

It doesn't to me...

My logic is this:

1. Spell Resistance prevents other people's spells and spell-like abilities from working on you, unless they beat a specific DC with a caster level check. It never affects your own spells, items, or abilities.

2. Spell Immunity is the same as Spell Resistance Infinity, which means that the person casting the spell or using the spell-like ability will never be able to beat the caster level check.

Therefore: Spell Immunity does not prevent a creature's own spells, items, or abilities from working.

3. Magic Immunity is the same as Spell Immunity, except it also affects supernatural and other magica effects, not just spells and spell-like abilities (with a couple riders for specific spells).

Therefore: Magic Immunity does not prevent a creature's own spells, items, or abilities from working.

If you buy the logic, it hangs together pretty well. The only issue is that Magic Immunuty = Spell Immunity++ is never explicitly stated, but it seems to be a logical ruling.

Remove ads