• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Demon lord in Dragon magazine?

Geoffrey

First Post
Within the last one or two years, there was an article in Dragon magazine that detailed a demon lord that was something like a giant slime-creature. I can't remember its name or the specific issue it was found in. Does anyone remember this bad guy?

MythosaAkira

Explorer
Geoffrey said:
Within the last one or two years, there was an article in Dragon magazine that detailed a demon lord that was something like a giant slime-creature. I can't remember its name or the specific issue it was found in. Does anyone remember this bad guy?

I believe the name is "Juiblex" (AD&D MM, Book of Vile Darkness) or "Jubilex" (?). Not sure which issue of Dragon it's detailed in, though.

Geoffrey

First Post
OK, I found it:

THE EBON MAW
By Ari Marmell
Turglas the Insatiable was once a demon lord as great and terrible as Orcus or Demogorgon. You’ll learn about Turglas’s powers, his fiendish tools and spells, his servants, how his devoted servants operate, and how he plots to regain his place in the hierarchy of demon lords.

(found in Dragon magazine #312, Oct. 2003)

Anyone else think that Turglas the Insatiable is awesome?

BOZ said:
i bet mouseferatu does. ;)

Well, yeah, but I was trying not to say anything. I'm just a tad bit biased. ;)

BTW, even though issue #311 said "Turglas" in its Previews section, it's actually "Turaglas" in the article in #312.

I'd love to do more articles that are similar in scope, but I don't (at the moment) have ideas for new demon lords or dukes of hell that I think would stand up in quality next to that article. Maybe a new altraloth or something...

Geoffrey

First Post
Mouseferatu, thank you for such an evocative article. There is very, very little that I find inspirational (or even interesting) in Dragon since the magazine's switch to 3rd edition, but Turaglas gave me that sense of both wonder and horror indicative of the best D&D has to offer.

BTW, what is the correct pronunciation for Turaglas?

Last edited:

BOZ

Creature Cataloguer
Mouseferatu said:
Well, yeah, but I was trying not to say anything. I'm just a tad bit biased. ;)

BTW, even though issue #311 said "Turglas" in its Previews section, it's actually "Turaglas" in the article in #312.

I'd love to do more articles that are similar in scope, but I don't (at the moment) have ideas for new demon lords or dukes of hell that I think would stand up in quality next to that article. Maybe a new altraloth or something...

maybe not new ones, but didn't you say something about, oh, proposals for a certain recent recurring feature? ;)

Geoffrey said:
Mouseferatu, thank you for such an evocative article. There is very, very little that I find inspirational (or even interesting) in Dragon since the magazine's switch to 3rd edition, but Turaglas gave me that sense of both wonder and horror indicative of the best D&D has to offer.

That's quite the compliment. Thank you. :D

BTW, what is the correct pronunciation for Turaglas?

Well, it'd obviously be easier if I could just speak it to you, but...

The "U" in the first syllable rhymes with "u" from "sure" or "lure."

The two "As" in the second and third syllables are both somewhere between "Ah"--like what you say when the doctor asks you to open up so he can look at your throat--and the "og" in "frog" or "bog."

Emphasis is on the second syllable: tuRAGlas.

Remove ads