Desert of Desolation rarity distribution

occam

Adventurer
I bought a sealed case of Desert of Desolation minis, and there's something wonky with the distribution. When I've bought (non-Huge) cases in the past, I could count on getting 4 of each Common mini, 1-2 of each Uncommon, and 0-1 of each Rare.

In this case of DoD, I've got 3 of some Commons, 4 of others, and even 5 of some (merchant guard, rot scarab swarm, and drow blademaster). I've got 3 of one Uncommon (spined devil), and none of others (astral stalker, ravenous ghoul). And I've got 2 Rare rage drakes!

What's going on? Has WotC changed the rarity distribution formula to mix things up more? For anyone else who's bought a case, are you seeing (or not seeing) something similar?

jodyjohnson

Adventurer
Wizards doesn't guarantee the distribution.

It was probably a production error, some dropped boosters here, maybe a crushed and replaced booster and the distribution would be off by about that amount.

For example, just one exchanged booster in a case means a 11 in 24 chance of getting a duplicate rare and the 3 possibly-'miscased' uncommons and 4 'miscased' commons would generate those kinds of variance.

It's random and stuff happens.

Corathon

First Post
My friend and I each bought a case of Desert of Fesolation. We each got the standard distribution of figures (4 of each Common, 1-2 of each Uncommon, 0-1 of each Rare).

Normally I buy by the case but I can't this time. I have bought 9 boosters and so the distrubution of common/uncommon/rare seems correct.

Maybe you did get a freak box

playing the part of the devil's advocate however-

In my nine boosters taken from two seperate cases I still don't have any Astral Stalkers, Dwarven Brawlers, Guardian Mummies, Ravenous Ghouls, Thundertusk Boars, Tiefling Clerics or Teifling Rogues which are ALL listed as Uncommons.

That seems odd.

occam

Adventurer
Corathon said:
My friend and I each bought a case of Desert of Fesolation. We each got the standard distribution of figures (4 of each Common, 1-2 of each Uncommon, 0-1 of each Rare).

OK, probably just my case, then. That's good to know. I was concerned that even the relative predictability of buying sealed cases was getting more random.

megamania said:
playing the part of the devil's advocate however-

In my nine boosters taken from two seperate cases I still don't have any Astral Stalkers, Dwarven Brawlers, Guardian Mummies, Ravenous Ghouls, Thundertusk Boars, Tiefling Clerics or Teifling Rogues which are ALL listed as Uncommons.

That seems odd.

It may seem odd to you but I am sure that it is within statistical probability, especially since you got your boosters from 2 separate cases.

Olaf the Stout

cthulhu_duck

First Post
There's a number on the bottom of each booster (20310760000001 for the last set for example) which ends in a 1, 2 or 3. I've found there's typically 4 boosters for each number. The only time I've not got the expected frequency is one case where there was a 5/4/3 split.

I tend to order through my FLGS, who have in the past let me open the case in store and check the boosters within.

Remove ads