Design idea for "customization" of characters.

the Jester

Legend
Jester, if you tweak a rogue to be an inferior wizard, he will obviously e an inferior rogue as well.

I'm actually talking about tweaking the wizard to be a superior rogue. The problem I am pointing at is that with a point/buyoff/trade in system, it's often possible to take a few things from one class but give it everything that another class gets in return.

Again, I'm thinking of Skills & Powers, where I discovered the problem- I literally did this about half a dozen times before throwing my hands up and banning the class customization stuff. It was just too easy to break the classes like this.

Light Knight

First Post
The "Buy the Book" supplement earlier suggested is turning out to be the perfect thing I am looking for. Though with slight modifications. I like the idea of using a caste system/concentration. If you are a fighter, fighter stuff is a bit cheaper, and non fighter is more expensive..etc...

But again thanks for all the responses.

howandwhy99

Adventurer
Class actually defines both the focus as well as the target area for successful play of a D&D game. There are many, many other game systems where things like Class, Race and Levels are dropped for a more free form approach. However, other games almost always have categoricals in them too. The nice part about D&D is it allows for quick understanding and play of the game without requiring the players to spend endless hours on tinkering with mechanics. Pick a class, a race, rolls some scores, and voilà, you have a fully functioning and balanced character to the challenges of the game world. Customization happens through play.

Remove ads