Designing an Epic Spell

Greenfield

Adventurer
Some have suggested that our current campaign continue to Epic levels, so I thought I'd take a poke at designing my first Epic spell.

I'd call the spell Common Knowledge. The effect is that the caster can plant an idea or simple piece of information in the mind of one or more people, and it would spread via close proximity/contact for a set period of time, say a few days.

This wouldn't be a compulsion, in that nobody is forced to believe or act on the information, it's just something that they think they heard, but can't quite remember where. Sort of a telepathically contagious rumor.

It's a subtle spell, not a world shaker. I'm not 100% sure, in fact, that it has to be Epic. The "spread for a while" part isn't like anything I've seen in any non-epic spell, but then I don't see any factors, conditions or modifiers in the Epic Level Handbook that would allow for it either.

I'm thinking that it should start with the Contact seed, but I'm not sure where to go from there.

I've never designed an epic spell before, so any help or suggestions would be appreciated.

steenan

Adventurer
I don't think that you need an epic spell for that. It doesn't force anybody to do anything and only spreads a simple piece of (true or false) information. I'd give it level 7 at most, and maybe even 5, depending on specifics (how many people it affects initially, how far and for how long it can spread, if the rumor stays in affected peoples' minds after the spell ends or if it disappears).

If you want an epic spell, think big. :)

RUMBLETiGER

Adventurer
I second that this doesn't sound like an Epic spell. In fact, it sounds like a spell that might be high on a Bard list, so likely not even a 9th or 8th level. Figure a reasonable duration and distance for the spell, knowing the use of metamagic can expand that duration and distance.

the Jester

Legend
It might make a good epic spell if it did something like permanently implant the rumor/thought/whatnot in everyone within a mile, and then automatically "catch" anyone who makes contact with the subjects for the rest of their lives. And remain contagious from the secondary targets, too.

Greenfield

Adventurer
Okay. let's consider a duration of two hours per level, and an initial infection of one target per three caster levels. Will Save negates, naturally, and SR applies.

It would an Enchantment (Mind affecting) spell. Range would be Short or Touch? (I'm thinking short), with an infection rate not to exceed one person per D4 rounds.

The "idea" wouldn't vanish after any set time, but it would fade as any normal memory would fade.

Total area would depend strictly on population density, and how mobile the population is. Which is to say, "DM's discretion".

The "short message" of the idea could be hard to define. I'd limit it to a single subject, with a few details.

For example, "There's trouble brewing tonight. Better stay inside, and put a few days food and water aside, just in case.", or "The Minstrel is going to be at the Axe and Flagon next week. He's pretty good."

Perhaps modify the Save depending on the complexity or length of the "common knowledge" you want to spread.

What level do you think that should be?

Greenfield

Adventurer
Okay, how's this?

Not-The-SRD said:
Common Knowledge
Enchantment (Sonic, Mind Affecting)
Level: Bard 4, Wizard/Sorcerer 6
Components: V,S,M
Casting time: 1 Round
Range; Short (25 ft. + 5 ft per 2 caster levels)
Target: Single creature/special (See text)
Duration: 1 hour per caster level
Saving Throw: Will Negates
Spell Resistance: Yes

By playing or singing a suggestive tune, you implant a piece of information in the mind of a single person. The message/knowledge must be brief, a few sentences, no more, all on a single subject, and in a language the target/recipient understands.

On a failed Will Save, the recipient will begin to idly hum, whistle or sing that same tune, passing the knowledge to those around them. Every D4 rounds it will drift into the ear and mind of some other suitable subject within Close range of a previous recipient. The melody will be infectious, and the knowledge will seem like something they'd heard somewhere, but can't quite recall where.

Note that the spell imparts a message or bit of information. It in no way compels anyone to act on it, nor even to believe it. It will simply seem like common knowledge that the melody just reminded them of.

The Common Knowledge will continue to spread for one hour per caster level, with each prospective recipient being entitled to a Save v Will. A failed Save means that the knowledge is imparted, and that recipient can in turn pass it along. A successful Save means that, although they will now have the knowledge, they wont be humming or singing the infectious tune, nor passing it on. Note that the knowledge can be passed along as normal gossip. The caster and anyone who has made the Save can't be affected again by this same casting of the spell.

The exact extent to which a given piece of knowledge can spread will be determined by the DM, since it will depend on population density and how far and fast people travel.

Overly complex tales or rumors may cause the spell to fail, if only because recipients might not even understand it. Similarly, flatly unbelievable Common Knowledge may grant the recipient a bonus on their Save, or prevent the spread of the knowledge at all.

Material component is the feather or tongue of a raven or mocking bird

So comments on color text, spell level, effect, anything?

GX.Sigma

Adventurer
Whoa, there's a spell just like this in a third-party "ritual book" for 4e.

Memetic Sending

Level: 1
Component Cost: 10 gp
Category: Exploration
Market Price: 50 gp
Time: 5 minutes/1 hour
Key Skill: Arcana
Duration: Special

This ritual allows you to seed an area with a meme – a catchy idea that expresses itself in every facet of society for a brief time. The meme appears as a design etched on goods, as doodles in the margins of books, graffiti on walls, as a topic of conversation... it is inescapable. The area covered is dependent upon your tier.

Heroic: A town, or district of a larger city
Paragon: A city, or a portion of a larger country
Epic: A country

This ritual only takes effect in civilized areas such as villages and towns, since it depends upon the presence of thinking creatures to manifest and propagate. The actual casting of the ritual is brief (five minutes) but it takes a full hour for the effects to appear. Apart from the ability to seed an idea across a wide area, this ritual also allows you to embed a message within the meme that can only be deciphered by a single person named by you during the casting. Upon first coming across the meme the target immediately and instinctively understands the message you embedded within it. The complexity of the embedded message and the duration that the meme persists for is dependent upon your Arcana check.

19 or lower : 1 hour : 10 words
20-29 : 6 hours : 20 words
30-39 : 24 hours : 30 words
40 or higher : 1 week : 40 words

Memes may persist long beyond their original duration, depending on the whims of society. However, their forced ubiquity and magical message fade when the duration expires. After that they are just interesting designs or catchphrases.
I got that at level 1 and never used it. Such is the fate of 4e rituals.

Greenfield

Adventurer
The usability of a spell or ritual like this really depends on the type of game you're in. If it's combat heavy, spells like this are a waste.

If it's more RP oriented, where you're getting involved in political theater, the ability to spread a rumor or infect an area with an idea has great potential.

PureGoldx58

First Post
I concur that his is not an epic spell, even if it were to affect large populations in short times. Now something similar that can undermine everyone's personal beliefs and experiences, that would epic.

Like for instance, make them forget that a certain race ever existed and if they actively see that race, they forget about them a moment later, or if you can implant an idea throughout time and space that follows a race or person. (Both really Dr. Who related because that spell makes me think about that show)

Rituals are almost always a waste as they generally slow down even roleplaying by taking up a large amount of time shopping and preparing the ritual only to have it be interrupted by the random encounter table! (Personal experience)

​Bad Wolf

Remove ads