• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Designing the Perfect D&D

AN interesting system, a bit hard to read here on the forum. Many things that have come to me are part of your goals, so it has tweaked my interest. Good luck and I will be keen to see it down in a document. :)

the Jester

Legend
Tomorrow I'll try to add the sections on combat and advancement if time allows.

Note that this system uses group initiative rerolled every round.

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
Starting everyone at 1st level in an ongoing campaign seems a bit harsh.

That said, it seems your first level characters have a lot going for them right out of the gate - my concern here would be there's too big of a gap between a 1st level adventurer and a commoner; this is one of my bigger issues with 4e design as well.

A commoner should be able to become an adventurer - at least a Fighter or other simple class - just by doing it, and there needs to be some sort of progression to reflect this. In 4e, the gap between 0th level (or non-levelled) and 1st level is far greater than the gap between any other two levels; to me this is wrong.

The only other thing I'd take a long hard look at is whether your Fighters are still too complex. There needs to be a simple class for new players to cut their teeth on, and for experienced players who don't like the complexity.

Other than that, you're on an interesting track here.

Lanefan

NoWayJose

First Post
Jester, while I don't know much about various systems and therefore don't have much to compare to, I love the stances and fighting styles and the old-school formatting... also, when I read the rules, the simulation intuitively sings to me (for me, this is very important for feeling like I'm roleplaying a "real" character).

I think your thread title ("the Perfect D&D") is somewhat of a misnomer, since the definition of perfect is so subjective, but then again, it probably attracts much more views/clicks than if you had titled it something like "House Rules Designing yet another variation of D&D".

A commoner should be able to become an adventurer - at least a Fighter or other simple class - just by doing it, and there needs to be some sort of progression to reflect this. In 4e, the gap between 0th level (or non-levelled) and 1st level is far greater than the gap between any other two levels; to me this is wrong.

I agree about the 4E disparity between 0 to 1st level. On the other hand, I find it believable to have some significant gap. Only in cheesier fantasy movies, can a 13 year old learn the art of swordfighting in a few weeks and duel with veteran warriors. And in today's world, kids seem to grow up with a sense of self-entitlement that they can do anything they dream about... but how about the hard work, the sweat and blood and tears, that is truly required to achieve that level of excellence?

For that reason, I interpret the rules of a 1st level character as modelling the x years of training and hard work invested into that class/role. I can also imagine that, in fantasy fiction, there is the rare genius or prodigy that reaches 1st level without much training at all.

If 0-level Joe the Pig Farmer took up a sword and shield, and he's not a prodigy and he didn't spend x years fighting in a war or whatnot, then I find it believable and consistent that he faces a gap between his skills and those of a 1st level fighter (comrade or opponent) and that the rules reflect this gap.

The only other thing I'd take a long hard look at is whether your Fighters are still too complex. There needs to be a simple class for new players to cut their teeth on, and for experienced players who don't like the complexity.
Couldn't Jester's system easily accomodate a simpler "basic" version where you just offer less rules and stances and fighting styles? Also, isn't his fighter class relatively simple to play after choosing your stances, etc.?

the Jester

Legend
First of all, thanks to everyone for their comments and feedback, it's all appreciated even if I don't specifically respond (or if I dismiss your concerns).

Another of my design goals, one which I'm not sure that I have achieved, is 15-minute character creation. That assumes that either you know how to use the system already (and have it all in front of you) or I am there helping with the needed info. So the comment about the fighter being too complex concerns me a little- what, specifically, do you think is too complex? Too many choices during character creation and leveling up, or does it look too complex in play?

Basically, in play, the fighter picks his stance and style every round and maybe decides to use Power Attack. He can try tricky things (same as anyone) like tripping or maneuvering his enemy, but those are part of the combat system itself rather than the fighter.

Regarding commoners- I haven't statted any up- it hadn't occurred to me to bother- but now that you mention it, it's prolly a good idea.

I see a commoner as a no-style, no-stance 0-level option with a 1d4 Hit Die. (Everyone that's small or larger gets 1/3 Con as a kicker at first level, too.) I don't see why a commoner couldn't advance into 1st level; in my system, a 1st level dude isn't that much better than a 1st level commoner. The difference is closer to 1e or 3e than to 4e in this respect.

the Jester

Legend
Combat

HOW YOU CAN DIE

There are several ways to die. These include being reduced to a negative hit point total equal to your Constitution score plus your level. However, hit point loss never kills you until you reach -10, even if you have a lower combined Con + level.

Another way to die is through lethal ability damage. Constitution damage is always lethal; other ability damage specifies when it is lethal, and otherwise is nonlethal. If an ability score is reduced to 0 via lethal ability damage (or drain), you die.

You can also be killed outright by certain effects, such as high severity critical hits, death magic, drowning, etc. The dm must adjudicate these on a case by case basis- for instance, decapitation will kill a human or orc, but won't kill a golem.

NONLETHAL DAMAGE

Most attacks deal lethal damage (unarmed strikes are generally an exception). However, when you make a melee attack, you may take a -4 penalty to attack in order to do nonlethal damage instead.

Nonlethal damage works essentially as it did in 3e: You keep a running total of nonlethal damage, and when it exceeds your present hit points, you lose consciousness. Nonlethal damage is recovered at a rate of 1 point per ten minutes if you are resting; if you are active or unconscious in an uncomfortable place, it instead returns at a rate of 1 point per hour. If you are affected by a healing power or effect while you have nonlethal damage, your nonlethal damage heals first at a rate of two points of nonlethal damage per point of healing.

ABILITY DAMAGE AND DRAIN

Similar to 3e, your ability scores can be damaged or drained. The difference is that drained ability scores do not return on their own. Ability damage heals at the rate of 1 point per damaged ability per day of complete rest. If you do not take a day of complete rest, ability damage will not heal on its own.

RECOVERING DAMAGE

Every time you take an extended rest, you recover 1 Hit Die worth of hit points. (You roll your highest type of hit die when checking this, so a fighter/wizard regains 1d10 hit points after an extended rest.) As stated, nonlethal damage is recovered at a rate of 1 point per ten minutes if you are resting; if you are active or unconscious in an uncomfortable place, it instead returns at a rate of 1 point per hour. If you are affected by a healing power or effect while you have nonlethal damage, your nonlethal damage heals first at a rate of two points of nonlethal damage per point of healing. Ability damage heals at the rate of 1 point per damaged ability per day of complete rest. If you do not take a day of complete rest, ability damage will not heal on its own.

ACTION POINTS

Each character starts with one action point. A character can only have one action point at a time until he is 5th level; then he can have two at a time. Once he is 10th level, a character can have three action points at a time; at 15th level he can have four at a time; etc. A character cannot spend another action point until he rolls a recharge check (action point use recharges on an 16+); however, a character can regain an action point long before he can spend it. A character regains an action point in any of the following ways:

Cleric: Drop an enemy, cast a prayer with a positive effect on an ally
Fighter: Hit an enemy
Rogue: Drop an enemy, sneak attack an enemy, succeed at a skill check
Wizard: Drop an enemy, hit an enemy with a spell

A character may spend his action point in three ways:

-Take an extra action: The character spends his action point during his turn to take an extra standard action.

-Make an extra saving throw or recharge roll: The character rolls one extra recharge roll or saving throw.

-Second wind: Once per day a character can spend an action point to take a second wind. This allows you to roll regain hit points equal to one hit die of your highest type.

Monsters and Action Points: In general, a group of monsters has a pool of action points equal to the number of monsters in the group. Tiny creatures, swarms and creatures that have an initiative penalty do not provide action poitns to the pool, while those with an initiative bonus of +2 or higher provide 2 action points.

Monsters can use their action points to take extra actions or make extra saving throws or recharge rolls. Since they share a pool of action points, they don't have to roll to recharge their action point use, but the group of monsters can only use 1 action point per round (so only one monster per round can use an action point).

A group of monsters regains an action point whenever they drop an enemy. Some groups of monsters may have other specific conditions upon which they regain action points.

DEFENSES

Base defenses for a creature are:

AC: 10 + armor bonus + shield bonus + helm bonus
Fortitude: 10 + 1/3 Constitution score
Reflex: 10 + 1/3 Dexterity score
Will: 10 + 1/3 Wisdom score

Magic, class bonuses, etc. can all improve (or sometimes worsen) these.

OPPORTUNITY ATTACKS

If an enemy lowers its guard while you threaten it, you may make a free melee attack against it as a reaction. Two things typically trigger opportunity attacks: moving (not shifting) out of a threatened space and making a ranged attack or a spell attack at range.

STACKING

Everything stacks (except with itself). Absolutely everything... except things that say they don't. That said, you can only be in one stance and one fighting style at a time.

THE COMBAT SEQUENCE

Combat is broken up into rounds, each of which is approximately 6 seconds long. Unlike 3e and later, initiative is per side and is rerolled each round.

INITIATIVE: Each side rolls for initiative (players should take turns). Initiative is rolled on 1d10, and each side adds all appropriate modifiers for each creature on its side.

TIMING: Combat is fast and furious. If a creature can't decide what to do in ten seconds, it holds its action. If it has not gone by the start of its next turn, it loses its held action. Likewise, if a character can't decide on stance and fighting style within 10 seconds, it remains in its current stance and fighting style.

Each person's turn goes like this:

1. Beginning of round effects
2. Make recharge rolls
3. Choose changes to stance and fighting style, if any
4. Roll initiative for the round.
5. Take actions
6. End of turn effects
7. Make saving throws

Beginning of Turn Effects: Some effects happen at the start of your turn, including ongoing damage. If you have multiple beginning of turn effects on you, you choose which order to apply them.

Make Recharge Rolls: Roll a recharge check for each applicable power. This is a 1d20 roll; if a power requires a recharge roll, it specifies the DC.

Choose Changes to Stance and Fighting Style: You must decide whether to change stance or fighting style now, since it can affect your initiative modifier. If you cannot decide within 10 seconds, your stance and fighting style remain the same as they were the last round.

Roll Initiative for the Round: One person from each side rolls for initiative for their side. The roll is 1d10; all modifiers that any member of that side have apply. (For example, if a group of pcs fight a group of three ghouls that each have a +1 initiative bonus, the ghouls' initiave has a +3 bonus.)

There are sometimes more than two sides to a fight, and sometimes one or more creatures will switch sides in the middle of a fight. In all cases, initiative works the same. When a creature switches sides, it uses the other side's initiative, and adds any bonuses or penalties to initiative it might have to that side's initiative as normal. If a combatant betrays its side but does not join another, it may end up being its own side in the initiative. However, as long as creatures are fighting on the same side, they should use the same initiative.

Take Actions: The winning side goes in whichever order they prefer, one at at time. Each creature may take either a full action, which uses up its entire turn, or one standard, one move and one minor action in a round. A character may trade its actions down; for example, a creature can use a minor or move action in place of a standard action, or a minor action in place of a move action, but not vice-versa.

A creature may also hold its action, in which case it defers its turn until later. It can take its turn at any point later before its next turn, even interrupting another creature's actions; however, it cannot take a full action and may only take two actions (a standard and a move).

Once the winning side goes, the next side goes, and so on until all sides have gone.

Actions are discussed in more detail below.

End of Round Effects: Some effects take place (or expire) at the end of the round. Those happen now. As with start of turn effects, if you are subject to multiple end of round effects, you decide in what order they apply.

Make Saving Throws: Make any appropriate saving throws. (Note that you may not make saving throws until after all other end of round effects have been applied.)

Actions

SUSTAINING

Many effects allow you to sustain them by spending an action, often a minor action. Typically, each power or effect that you wish to sustain requires its own action. Many actions state that they last until the end of the next round and also mention that you can sustain them until the end of the next round. Typically, the user spends the sustain action the round after activating the power; thus, the power lasts an extra round. A creature may sustain a power as long as it has the actions to do so, but over a long period (such as an hour) this becomes fatiguing and difficult to maintain. The dm must use common sense to adjudicate this.

ACTION TYPES

There are seven types of actions in D&D Jazz: free, minor, move, standard, full, interrupt and reactions. On its turn each round, a creature typically can take either a full action or three actions- one each standard, move and minor- and may “trade down” a standard for a move or minor action or a move for a minor action.

Interrupts and reactions can happen at any time. There is no limit on how many interrupts or reactions you may take at a time, though you can take only of each for each trigger. (For instance, if you have two reactions that trigger on being hit and an interrupt that triggers on being hit, when an enemy hits you you can use the interrupt and then one of the reactions.)

An interrupt happens before the trigger, and can conceivably negate it. For instance, if you have a power that lets you shift 15' as an interrupt when an enemy makes a melee attack on you, if you get to a position where the attacker cannot reach you with that attack, it automatically misses you. A reaction happens after the trigger.

Free actions are often triggered, but not always. A creature can take any number of free actions in a round, subject to common sense (after all, a round is only six seconds long!).

Here are some examples of actions:

MINOR ACTIONS

Open or close a typical door
Draw a weapon
Sheath a weapon
Ready a shield

MOVE ACTIONS

Walk
Run
Shift
Crawl
Stand up

STANDARD ACTIONS
Attack
Charge
Maneuver
Trick attack

Movement

Walk: You move up to your speed. For simplicity, when using a battlemat, count every other diagonal as 2 squares.

Run: You move up to double your speed. Until the end of the next round, you grant combat advantage and suffer a -4 penalty to attacks.

Shift: You move 5' without provoking opportunity attacks.

Crawl: You must be prone to crawl. You move 5'.

MOVING THROUGH OTHER CREATURES

You can always move through the space of prone creatures or creatures 2 or more sizes bigger or smaller than you. You can also move through other creatures' spaces unless they choose to contest you. If a creature contests you, you may use a trick attack (see below) to try to force your way through, but unless you are shifting, the creature will get an opportunity attack at the least. The trick attack takes your standard action, but it takes place in the midst of your movement; this is one of only a very few instances in which you can resume an action (your movement) when you have spent an action other than an interrupt or reaction in the middle of it.

Attacks: What Can I Do?

In combat, characters usually have various options they can try involving their fighting styles, stances, spells, etc. But sometimes they want to get tricky- instead of killing the goblin, they want to knock it unconscious; instead of defeating the death knight, they just want to knock him down and get past him; instead of killing the barbarian chieftain, they need to humiliate him by knocking him down.

Charge: When you charge, you move up to your speed (minimum of 2 squares) in a straight line and make a melee attack with a +2 bonus against a creature within reach at the end of your charge. Until the end of the next round, you grant combat advantage.

Maneuver: Sometimes it pays to move your enemy instead of attacking him. You must be adjacent to an enemy to maneuver him. Make opposed attack rolls; if you win, you may move the enemy 5'. If you win by 5, you may move the enemy 10'. If you win by 10, you may move the enemy 15'. If you win by 15, you may move the enemy 20'. At the end of the maneuver, you shift adjacent to the enemy.

If you attempt to maneuver an enemy into terrain that will harm it, such as a raging fire or off a cliff, the enemy receives a saving throw (succeeds on a 10+); if it succeeds, it instead falls prone in the last square before it enters the hazardous terrain.

Trick Attacks: Characters attempting such creative attacks use the Trick Attack mechanic. The character describes the attack he is performing, the dm assesses which defense it attacks, the attacker rolls and if he hits makes an opposed roll against the target to successfully pull of the trick attack. Trick attacks usually inflict a significant disadvantage against the enemy but are hard to pull off and don't deal damage.

Four examples of trick attacks are the disarm, feint, pass through and the trip attack.

Disarm: A successful disarm causes an opponent to lose its weapon, implement or similar object. It is hard to disarm an enemy, as retaining one's weapon is a very basic consideration in combat. It is also harder to disarm a target holding a weapon in both hands. Make a melee attack vs. Reflex; if you hit, you and the target make opposed attack rolls (the target gets a +4 bonusn and an additional +2 if it is holding the weapon in both hands). If you win, you cause the enemy to drop its weapon in its square. If you beat the enemy by 5 or more, you may knock the weapon 5' away from it; if you beat it by 10, you may knock the weapon 10' away from it; and so on.

Feint: A successful feint causes the enemy to misdirect its guard for a short time. Make a melee attack vs. Will; if you hit, make a Charisma check opposed by the enemy's Wisdom check (you choose the dice). If you win, the enemy grants you combat advantage until the end of the next round.

Pass Through: A successful pass through lets you move through the space of an enemy that is contesting your movement (see Moving through Other Creatures above). This takes your standard action, but it takes place as an interrupt triggered by a creature contesting your movement through its space. Make a melee attack vs. Reflex or Fortitude, your choice; if you hit, you and the target make opposed checks, each of you choosing Strength or Dexterity against the other (you choose the dice). If you win, you may move through the enemy's space with the rest of your move action. You must be able to reach an unoccupied space with your remaining movement. Note that this is a very rare case in which you can start your move, take a standard action and then complete your movement.

Trip: A successful trip attack knocks the enemy prone. Make a melee attack vs. Reflex; if you hit, you and the target make opposed Dexterity checks (you choose the dice). If you win, the enemy falls prone.

Conditions

There are quite a few possible conditions that one can suffer in D&D Jazz. These, along with their effects, include the following:

Dazed
A dazed creature can take only one action on its turn and may not take a full action. It cannot take interrupts or reactions.

Dying
A creature reduced to 0 or fewer hit points is dying. While dying, each round the creature must make a death saving throw; this succeeds on a 10+ and stabilizes the character on a 20+. If the creature fails three death saves, it dies. It must continue to make death saves every round until it dies or stabilizes. A creature can be stabilized by an ally that makes a 1d20 Wisdom skill check to apply first aid. If this check fails, the dying creature still gets a +2 bonus on its next death save. A dying creature also stabilizes if it regains a hit point.

Helpless
A creature is usually helpless because it is unconscious or paralyzed. A helpless creature is unable to defend itself. Enemies gain a +5 bonus to melee attacks against it and can spend a full action to perform a coup de grace on it. A helpless enemy counts as granting combat advantage.

Immobilized
An immobilized creature cannot move from its space (but can be maneuvered). It can still take other actions normally.

Paralyzed
A paralyzed creature cannot move its body. It cannot take any actions that require even the slightest mobility, but if it has any actions that are strictly mental, it can still use those. A paralyzed creature is helpless.

Prone
A prone creature takes a -4 penalty to attacks and grants combat advantage to adjacent enemies. It gains a +2 bonus to AC and Reflex against attacks from non-adjacent foes. Sometimes an effect will make prone a creature that, on the surface of it, does not seem like it should be able to be knocked down. In these cases, the prone condition actually consists of the victim being tangled up in itself and unable to move properly without spending a move action to right itself. When you are prone, you can crawl but not walk or shift.

Slowed
A slowed creature moves at half speed and grants combat advantage. All of its movement modes are affected.

Stunned
A stunned creature drops what it is holding and can take no actions, even strictly mental ones. It grants combat advantage.

(NOTE: I have more conditions to work up, obviously... neither blinded nor deafened are up there yet.)

the Jester

Legend
ADVANCEMENT

Characters advance 'one level at a time', similar to 3rd Edition. A character that starts as a 1st level fighter and then takes a level of rogue is a 2nd level character who is a fighter 1/rogue 1. However, it is worth noting that you gain noticeably more as a 1st level character than you do for taking a 1st level in another class.

When you gain a level, you can choose to advance a base class you have, to gain a racial paragon level or to take a level in a prestige class. If you wish to take 1st level in a base class you do not have, you must first train in that class- a process that takes a month and costs 1000 gp.

In addition to the basic classes and racial paragon classes, characters can take levels in prestige classes. Prestige classes are usually 3 levels long, but a character might have one (or more) levels in many prestige classes, and each offers new ways to customize a character.

Several things are worth noting in discussion advancement. First, it is more difficult to gain a new base class at 1st level than any other sort of level. This is because base classes are fundamental. Once a character has gained a base class, not only do further levels in that class open up, but it offers access to many possible prestige class options.

A second thing to note is that racial paragon paths generally give a character the most hit points, as they accrue at every level. However, they advance your stats at a more specialized but generally lower rate than other classes.

Prestige classes offer ways to replicate many traditional character types from D&D's history, as well as offering flavorful ways to specialize your character in new and unusual ways. Some have tough entry requirements, while others are very easy to enter. Generally speaking, prestige classes advance your hit points and attacks slowly, while they tend to advance your defenses relatively quickly. Each prestige class offers unique abilities and options.

GAINING HIT POINTS
Whenever you gain hit points by gaining a level, roll all your Hit Dice and take the total rolled if it is higher than your previous hit point total; otherwise, keep your previous total.

PRESTIGE CLASSES

Abjurer
An abjurer learns ever greater forms of magical protection. To become an abjurer, you must already be a mage of the abjuration school (and thus have access to the 4th valence of that spell's schools).

ABJURER ADVANCEMENT
When you gain an abjurer level, add 3d10% to your Wisdom and 2d10% to your Constitution. Once this reaches 100%, your ability score increases by one point.

Level --- Attacks --- Defenses --- Hit Points --- Features
1 --- None --- +1 Will --- None --- Archmage of abjuration
2 --- None --- +1 Will --- None --- Abjurer's stance
3 --- +1 spell --- None --- +1d4 --- Expert abjurer's stance

Archmage of Abjuration: You gain access to the 5th valence of the abjuration school's spells.

Abjurer's Stance
You gain a +2 bonus to all defenses.
Expert: When you cast an abjuration spell that gives the target a bonus temporary hit points or resistance to damage, the bonus, temporary hit points or resistance increases by 1.

Acrobat
An acrobat is a master of balance and tumbling. To become an acrobat, you must have a +2 base Reflex defense.

ACROBAT ADVANCEMENT
When you gain an acrobat level, add 3d10% to your Dexterity and 2d10% to your Strength. Once this reaches 100%, your ability score increases by one point.

1 --- None --- +1 Ref --- None --- Acrobatics
2 --- None --- +1 Ref --- None --- Defensive tumble
3 --- +1 melee --- None --- +1d6 --- Offensive tumble

Acrobatics: You get a +2 bonus to skill checks involving balance, jumping, acrobatics and tumbling.

Defensive Tumble (recharges on a 17+): Trigger (interrupt): An enemy moves adjacent to you. Effect: You shift half your speed.

Offensive Tumble (recharges on a 13+): As a move action, you shift your speed. You gain combat advantage against enemies adjacent to you at the end of this shift.

Archer
An archer focuses on the bow. To become an archer, you must be proficient in bows, must know the missile weapon fighting style and must have a base ranged attack of at least +1.

ARCHER ADVANCEMENT

When you gain an archer level, add 3d10% to your Dexterity and 2d10% to your Wisdom. Once this reaches 100%, your ability score increases by one point.

1 --- None --- +1 Ref --- None --- Expert missile attack
2 --- None --- +1 AC --- None --- Rapid shot
3 --- +1 ranged --- None --- +1d8 --- Rapid shot improves

Expert Missile Attack: When you use your missile weapon fighting style, all the bonuses it gives you increase by 1.

Rapid Shot: As a full action, you may make two ranged attacks with a bow at a -2 penalty. At 3rd level, you may instead make three ranged attacks with a bow at a -2 penalty.

Assassin
An assassin is trained to kill by stealth and surprise. Becoming an assassin requires that you kill someone for your master as an initiation. You must also have the sneak attack ability.

ASSASSIN ADVANCEMENT
When you gain an assassin level, add 3d10% to your Dexterity and 2d10% to either your Strength or Intelligence. Once this reaches 100%, your ability score increases by one point.

1 --- None --- +1 Ref --- None --- Death attack
2 --- None --- +1 Ref --- None --- Stealthy
3 --- +1 melee or ranged --- None --- +1d6 --- Poison master

Death Attack (recharges on a 17+): If you have combat advantage, you may make a death attack as a standard action. Make a melee or ranged attack vs. Fortitude. If you hit, you deal double damage and the target is dazed until the end of the next round.

Stealthy: You gain a +2 bonus on skill checks involving being sneaky or stealthy.

Poison Master: You never risk poisoning yourself when you handle poisons. You gain resist 1 poison. Enemies take a -2 penalty to saving throws to throw off the effects of your poisons.

Axeman
An axeman focuses on axes (some axemen call themselves “halberdiers” or the like instead). To become an axeman, you must know the axeman's stance.

AXEMAN ADVANCEMENT
When you gain an axeman level, add 3d10% to your Strength and 2d10% to your Constitution. When this reaches 100%, your ability score increases by one point.

1 --- None --- +1 Fort --- None --- Axe brute
2 --- None --- +1 AC --- None --- Aggressive move
3 --- +1 melee --- None --- +1d10 --- Devastating blow

Axe Brute: You get a +1 bonus to attacks and damage with axes.

Aggressive Move (recharges on a 13+): As a move action, you move up to your speed. If any creatures take opportunity attacks against you during this movement, you may make a melee attack as a reaction against one of them.

Devastating Blow (recharge 18+): As a full action, make a melee attack vs. AC with an axe. If you hit, you deal triple damage.

Bard
Bards are master musicians. They can use their magic to inspire their allies. Bards are jacks of all trades; to become a bard, all of your base attack bonuses must be +1 or higher.

BARD ADVANCEMENT
When you gain a bard level, add 3d10% to your Charisma and 2d10% to one other ability score of your choice. Once this reaches 100%, your ability score increases by one point.

1 --- None --- +1 primary --- None --- Bardic music
2 --- None --- +1 secondary --- None --- Song of glory
3 --- +1 to any one --- None --- +1d6 --- Song of endurance

Defenses: When you take your first bard level, decide whether your primary bard defense is Reflex or Will. The other is your secondary.

Bardic Music: You get a +2 bonus on skill checks involving music. In addition, as a minor action, you can sing or perform, giving yourself and allies within 60' of you a +1 bonus on attacks, damage and defenses until the end of the next round.

Song of Glory (recharges on a 16+): As a standard action, you can sing a song of glory about one creature within 60'. Until the end of the next round, that creature gains a +4 bonus on attacks, resist 5 all and its critical range doubles.

Song of Endurance (recharges on a 16+): As a standard action, you can sing a song of endurance about one creature within 60'. That creature gains 10 temporary hit points and a +2 bonus on all defenses until the end of the next round.

Battlepriest
A battlepriest is a cleric who chooses to emphasize the Battle domain. To become a battlepriest, you must have access to the third valence of the Battle domain.

BATTLEPRIEST ADVANCEMENT
When you gain a bard level, add 3d10% to your Strength and 2d10% to your Dexterity. Once this reaches 100%, your ability score increases by one point.

1 --- None --- +1 Fort --- None --- Battle competence
2 --- None --- +1 AC --- None --- Battle domain advances
3 --- +1 melee --- None --- +1d8 --- Battle domain advances

Battle Competence: You get a +1 bonus to melee and spell attacks.

Battle Domain Advances: You become a priest of the Battle domain at 2nd level (gaining access to the 4th valence of the domain) and a high priest at 3rd level (gaining access to the 5th valence of the domain).

Berserker
Barely able to tell friend from foe, berserkers let the red rage overtake them and don't even notice the wounds that they take, taking superhuman amounts of punishment. To become a berserker, you must know the Reckless Offense stance.

BERSERKER ADVANCEMENT
When you gain a berserker level, add 3d10% to your Strength and 2d10% to your Constitution. Once this reaches 100%, your ability score increases by one point.

1 --- None --- +1 Fort --- None --- Rage stance
2 --- None --- +1 Fort --- None --- Expert rage stance
3 --- +1 melee --- None --- +1d12 --- Master rage stance

Rage Stance
Special: You cannot use this stance if you are unwounded. You may not end this stance if an enemy is within sight. If no enemy is within sight at the end of your turn, you may attempt a save to end this stance (10+ succeeds). If you roll a 5 or lower, on your next turn you attack or charge the nearest creature instead.
You gain temporary hit points equal to your Constitution score that last until the rage ends. You grant combat advantage until the rage ends. On your turn, you must attack an enemy if possible. If you cannot reach an enemy, you must double move towards the closest visible enemy.
Expert: You get a +3 to melee damage and +1d6 severity to crits your inflict.
Master: You gain resist 3 bludgeoning, piercing and slashing.

Blood Magus
Wizards who specialize in the dagger as an implement can learn to use blood magic, sacrificing their own vitality for enhanced magical effects. To become a blood magus, you must have a base spell attack bonus of +1 and a Constitution score of 13.

BLOOD MAGUS ADVANCEMENT
When you gain a blood magus level, add 3d10% to your Constituiton and 2d10% to your Strength. Once this reaches 100%, your ability score increases by one point.

1 --- None --- +1 Fort --- None --- Blood magic
2 --- None --- +1 Will --- None --- Blood magic improves
3 --- +1 spell --- None --- +1d6 --- Blood magic improves

Blood Magic: When you cast a spell while you wield a dagger as an implement, you may deal 1d4 damage to yourself in order to gain a +3 bonus on spell attacks, spell damage and spell and metamagic recharge rolls until the end of the next round. At 2nd level, you only need to deal 1d3 damage to yourself. At 3rd level, you only need to deal 1d2 damage to yourself.

Cavalier
A cavalier focuses on mounted combat. To become a cavalier, you must have a mount that is trained for battle.

CAVALIER ADVANCEMENT
When you gain a cavalier level, add 3d10% to your Strength and 2d10% to your Dexterity. When this reaches 100%, your ability score increases by one point.

1 --- None --- +1 AC --- None --- Cavalier style
2 --- None --- +1 Ref --- None --- Expert cavalier style
3 --- +1 melee --- None --- +1d10 --- Master cavalier style

Cavalier Style
When you are mounted, you and your mount gain a +2 bonus to AC and to melee attacks. If you charge, your critical range doubles.
Expert: When you are mounted, you and your mount gain a +2 bonus to melee damage.
Master: When you are mounted, your mount gains a +1 bonus to initiative and a +5' bonus to speed, and you and your mount gain a +2 bonus to Fortitude, Reflex and Will.

Crusher
A crusher focuses on bludgeoning weapons (some crushers call themselves “maulers,” “macement” or the like instead). To become a crusher, you must know the crusher stance.

CRUSHER ADVANCEMENT
When you gain a crusher level, add 3d10% to your Constitution and 2d10% to your Strength. When this reaches 100%, your ability score increases by one point.

1 --- None --- +1 Fort --- None --- Avalanche strike
2 --- None --- +1 Fort --- None --- Clear the way
3 --- +1 melee --- None --- +1d10 --- Bell ringer

Avalanche Strike (recharges on a 16+): As a standard action, make a melee attack vs. Fortitude with a bludgeoning weapon. If you hit, you deal normal damage and knock the target prone.

Clear the Way (recharges on a 17+): As a full action, make a melee attack vs. Fortitude with a bludgeoning weapon against each enemy within reach. Each enemy you hit takes normal damage and is knocked prone.

Bell Ringer (recharges on a 17+): As a standard action, make a melee attack vs. Fortitude with a bludgeoning weapon. If you hit, the target takes double damage and is stunned (save ends on a 6+).

Dagger Master
A dagger master focuses on light blades (some dagger masters call themselves “knife masters” or the like instead). To become a dagger master, you must know the knife stance.

DAGGER MASTER ADVANCEMENT
When you gain a dagger master level, add 3d10% to your Dexterity and 2d10% to your Intelligence. When this reaches 100%, your ability score increases by one point.

1 --- None --- +1 AC --- None --- Swift blade
2 --- None --- +1 Ref --- None --- Swift throw
3 --- +1 melee or ranged --- +1d10 --- Lethal skill

Swift Blade: While you wield a light blade, you gain a +1 bonus to initiative and Reflex.

Swift Throw: As a full action, you can make two ranged light blade attacks. If both hit the same target, you gain combat advantage against it until the end of the next round.

Lethal Skill: Your critical range doubles with light blades, and when you score a critical hit with a light blade you gain a +1d8 bonus to severity.

Dragonslayer
A dragonslayer is an adventurer who has survived an encounter with a dragon and subsequently dedicated himself to slaying them. To become a dragonslayer, you must have a +1 base melee attack bonus and a +1 base Reflex defense, and you must have survived an encounter with a dragon.

DRAGONSLAYER ADVANCEMENT
When you gain a dragonslayer level, add 3d10% to your Strength and 2d10% to your Constitution. When this reaches 100%, your ability score increases by one point.

1 --- None --- +1 Ref --- None --- Dragonslayer stance
2 --- None --- +1 AC --- None --- Expert dragonslayer stance
3 --- +1 melee --- None --- +1d10 --- Master dragonslayer stance

Dragonslayer Stance
You gain a +3 bonus to attacks and defenses against creatures with the dragon keyword.
Expert: You gain immunity to fear effects produced by dragons.
Master: You gain resist 10 against the breath weapons of dragons.

Druid
A druid is a priest of nature, whose reverence is more for the sky and trees than for the gods themselves. Animals and spirits are a druid's concern, rather than people and souls. To become a druid, you must either have the wilderness lore ability or have access to one of the following domains: Animal, Plant and/or Weather. Additionally, you must undergo a period of meditation, purification and initiation that takes 1 month and requires 100 gp in various sacrifices to the spirits of nature.

DRUID ADVANCEMENT
When you gain a druid level, add 3d10% to your Wisdom and 2d10% to your Constitution. When this reaches 100%, your ability score increases by one point.

1 --- None --- +1 Fort --- None --- Nature domains, nature's tongue, nature's vow
2 --- None --- +1 Will --- None --- Wilderness lore
3 --- +1 spell --- None --- +1d8 --- Nature domains improve

Nature Domains: You gain access to two of the following domains: Animal, Plant and/or Weather. If you already have access to one or more of these domains, you may instead advance it to the next level. At 3rd level, the two domains you chose at 1st level advance. (If you already have access to the fifth valence of one or more of them, you instead gain access to, or advance, the domain you didn't choose at 1st level.)

Nature's Tongue: You learn the Druidic tongue.

Nature's Vow: As part of the initiation into druidism that you undergo, you foreswear metal armor. If you wear metal armor, you suffer a -4 penalty to spell attacks and all defenses.

Wilderness Lore: You gain a +1 bonus to skill checks involving the wilderness. If you already have wilderness lore, this stacks.

Enchanter
An enchanter delves deeper into the mysteries of the school of enchantment. To become an enchanter, you must already be a mage of the enchantment school (and thus have access to the 4th valence of that spell's schools).

ENCHANTER ADVANCEMENT
When you gain an enchanter level, add 3d10% to your Charisma and 2d10% to your Intelligence. Once this reaches 100%, your ability score increases by one point.

1 --- None --- +1 Will --- None --- Archmage of enchantment
2 --- None --- +1 Will --- None --- Enchanter's stance
3 --- +1 spell --- None --- +1d4 --- Expert enchanter's stance

Archmage of Enchantment: You gain access to the 5th valence of the enchantment school's spells.

Enchanter's Stance
You gain a +2 bonus to spell attacks with enchantment spells. Enemies take a -2 penalty to end effects you impose with enchantment spells.
Expert: You gain a +4 bonus to the recharge rolls of your enchantment spells.

Evoker
An evoker is a master of the lore of the evocation wizard school and is able to unleash devastating magical energies. To become an evoker, you must already be a mage of the evocation school (and thus have access to the 4th valence of that spell's schools).

EVOKER ADVANCEMENT
When you gain an evoker level, add 3d10% to your Constitution and 2d10% to your Strength. Once this reaches 100%, your ability score increases by one point.

1 --- None --- +1 Fort --- None --- Archmage of Evocation
2 --- None --- +1 Will --- None --- Evoker's stance
3 --- +1 spell --- None --- +1d4 --- Expert evoker's stance

Archmage of Evocation: You gain access to the 5th valence of the evocation school's spells.

Evoker's Stance
You gain a +2 bonus to spell attacks with evocation spells, and your evocation spells deal one extra die of damage. (If an evocation spell doesn't deal dice of damage, the latter effect does not apply.)
Expert: You gain a +4 bonus to the recharge rolls of your evocation spells.

Exemplar
An exemplar focuses on skills. To become an exemplar, you must have the skill mastery ability.

EXEMPLAR ADVANCEMENT
When you gain an exemplar level, add 3d10% to your highest abiltiy score and 2d10% to your lowest ability score. Once this reaches 100%, your ability score increases by one point.

1 --- None --- +1 Fort, Ref or Will --- None --- Skill exemplar
2 --- None --- +1 Fort, Ref or Will --- None --- Skill exemplar improves
3 --- +1 melee or ranged --- None --- +1d6 --- Skill exemplar improves

Skill Exemplar: Trigger (interrupt): You roll a skill check and don't like it. Effect: Reroll the skill check. You may only use this ability once per hour. At 2nd level, you can use it twice per hour. At 3rd level, you can use it thrice per hour.

Guardian
A guardian is a cleric who chooses to emphasize the Protection domain. To become a guardian, you must have access to the third valence of the Protection domain.

GUARDIAN ADVANCEMENT
When you gain a guardian level, add 3d10% to your Wisdom and 2d10% to your Constitution. Once this reaches 100%, your ability score increases by one point.

1 --- None --- +1 Will --- None --- Guardian aura
2 --- None --- +1 Fort --- None --- Protection domain advances
3 --- +1 spell --- None --- +1d8 --- Protection domain advances

Guardian Aura: Allies within 10' of you (but not you) gain a +1 bonus to all defenses and to saving throws.

Protection Domain Advances: You become a priest of the Protection domain at 2nd level (gaining access to the 4th valence of the domain) and a high priest at 3rd level (gaining access to the 5th valence of the domain).

Healer
A healer is a cleric who chooses to emphasize the Healing domain. To become a healer, you must have access to the third valence of the Healing domain.

HEALER ADVANCEMENT
When you gain a healer level, add 3d10% to your Charisma and 2d10% to your Wisdom. Once this reaches 100%, your ability score increases by one point.

1 --- None --- +1 Fort --- None --- Master healer
2 --- None --- +1 Will --- None --- Healing domain advances
3 --- +1 spell --- None --- +1d8 --- Healing domain advances

Master Healer: You get a +1 bonus to skill checks involving healing. Whenever you use a prayer that restores hit points or nonlethal damage, you restore an extra 4 points.

Healing Domain Advances: You become a priest of the Healing domain at 2nd level (gaining access to the 4th valence of the domain) and a high priest at 3rd level (gaining access to the 5th valence of the domain).

Hunter of the Dead
Hunters of the dead are dedicated to slaying undead. To become a hunter of the dead, you must have suffered terribly at the hands of the undead- either been rendered unconscious, killed, paralyzed, suffered a critical hit or abilty drain, etc. You must also be able to turn undead (usually through the second valence prayer of the Sun domain).

HUNTER OF THE DEAD ADVANCEMENT
When you gain a hunter of the dead level, add 3d10% to your Charisma and 2d10% to your Wisdom. Once this reaches 100%, your ability score increases by one point.

1 --- None --- +1 Will --- None --- Undead slayer
2 --- None --- +1 Fort --- None --- Resist necrotic 5
3 --- +1 melee --- None --- +1d8 --- Radiant burst

Undead Slayer: You get a +2 bonus to attack, damage and all defenses against undead.

Radiant Burst (recharges on a 17+): As a full action, you can unleash a burst of radiant energy in a 20' radius around yourself. Make an attack vs. Reflex against each enemy in the burst; on a hit the target takes 2d10 radiant damage. A miss deals half damage. Undead that you hit are also blinded (save ends on a 12+).

Iconist
An iconist is someone who focuses on their holy symbol, mastering it in order to boost their mystical powers. Some iconists call themselves by names appropriate to their deity's symbol (for instance, some Dexterite iconists call themselves “blind priests” because they use a blindfold as their symbol).

ICONIST ADVANCEMENT
When you gain an iconist level, add 3d10% to your Wisdom and 2d10% to your Constitution. Once this reaches 100%, your ability score increases by one point.

1 --- None --- +1 Will --- None --- Holy symbol expertise
2 --- None --- +1 Will --- None --- Holy symbol expertise improves
3 --- +1 spell --- None --- +1d8 --- Holy symbol expertise improves

Holy Symbol Expertise: While you wield a holy symbol, you gain a +1 bonus to spell attacks and AC. At 2nd level, you also gain a +4 bonus to recharge rolls of your prayers. At 3rd level, you also gain a +2 bonus to saving throws and a +1 bonus to AC and Fortitude.

Impositionist
Wizards who specialize in the orb, seeking to ensure that their spells cling to enemies, are called impositionists. To become an impositionist you must have a base spell attack bonus of +1 and you must be proficient in the orb.

IMPOSITIONIST ADVANCEMENT
When you gain an impositionist level, add 3d10% to your Wisdom and 2d10% to your Intelligence. Once this reaches 100%, your ability score increases by one point.

1 --- None --- +1 Will --- None --- Imposition
2 --- None --- +1 Will --- None --- Spell tenacity
3 --- +1 spell --- None --- +1d4 --- Imposition improves

Imposition: Enemies take a -1 penalty to saving throws against effects imposed by your spells when you wield an orb. At 3rd level, this penalty increases to -2.

Spell Tenacity (recharges on an 18+): Trigger (interrupt): An enemy within 30' makes a saving throw against an effect imposed by one of your spells while you wield an orb. Effect: The enemy must reroll that saving throw.

Iron Mage
An iron mage focuses on the rod as an implement. To become an iron mage, you must be proficient in the rod and you must have a +1 base spell attack.

IRON MAGE ADVANCEMENT
When you gain an iron mage level, add 3d10% to your Constitution and 2d10% to your Strength. Once this reaches 100%, your ability score increases by one point.

1 --- None --- +1 Fort --- None --- Iron strike
2 --- None --- +1 Fort --- None --- Iron thunder
3 --- +1 spell --- None --- +1d6 --- Master of the rod

Iron Strike (recharges on a 12+): When you hit a creature with a spell attack using your rod, you deal an extra 1d6 bludgeoning damage.

Iron Thunder (recharges on a 10+): When you hit a target with a spell attack using your rod, you also deal 1d6 points of thunder damage to each creature adjacent to the target.

Master of the Rod: While you wield a rod, you gain a +1 bonus to initiative and to Will.

Martial Artist
A martial artist focuses on unarmed combat, learning to fight with surprising skill with no weapons. Becoming a martial artist requires six months of dedicated training.

MARTIAL ARTIST ADVANCEMENT
When you gain a martial artist level, add 3d10% to your Dexterity and 2d10% to your Strength. Once this reaches 100%, your ability score increases by one point.

1 --- None --- +1 Ref --- None --- Unarmed combat style
2 --- None --- +1 Fort --- None --- Expert unarmed combat style
3 --- +1 melee --- None --- +1d10 --- Master unarmed combat style

Unarmed Combat Style
When you fight unarmed, you gain a +3 proficiency bonus and deal 1d8 bludgeoning damage with your unarmed strike.
Expert: When you fight unarmed, you may make a melee attack as a minor action (recharges on a 6+).
Master: When you fight unarmed, you may shift 10' before or after each melee attack you make.

Monk
A monk focuses on physical and mental mastery of himself, becoming more and more impervious over time. Becoming a monk requires six months of dedicated training.

MONK ADVANCEMENT
When you gain a monk level, add 3d10% to your Wisdom and 2d10% to your lowest score. Once this reaches 100%, your ability score increases by one point.

1 --- None --- +1 any except AC --- None --- Physical and mental mastery
2 --- None --- +1 any except AC --- None --- Physical and mental mastery improves
3 --- +1 any --- None --- +1d8 --- Physical and mental mastery improves

Physical and Mental Mastery: Your mastery of yourself gives you a +2 bonus to saving throws (including death saves). At 2nd level, you gain resist 2 against ability damage and drain. At 3rd level, you gain a +1 bonus to all defenses.

Necromancer
A necromancer is a master of the lore of the necromancy wizard school and is able to manipulate the power of death itself. To become a necromancer you must already be a mage of the necromancy school (and thus have access to the 4th valence of that spell's schools).

NECROMANCER ADVANCEMENT
When you gain a necromancer level, add 3d10% to your Constitution and 2d10% to your Wisdom. Once this reaches 100%, your ability score increases by one point.

1 --- None --- +1 Fort --- None --- Archmage of Necromancy
2 --- None --- +1 Will --- None --- Ritual of animation
3 --- +1 spell --- None --- +1d4 --- Command undead

Archmage of Necromancy: You gain access to the 5th valence of the necromancy school's spells.

Ritual of Animation: You learn a ritual of animation that you can use to animate zombies and skeletons of up to half your level. Each animation requires an onyx worth 50 gp plus components worth 100 gp per level of the creature to be animated. The ritual requires 4 hours for each animation. Although each skeleton or zombie you animate must be half your level or lower, you can control a total number of skeleton and zombie levels equal to your Wisdom score plus your level. If you animate more creatures, you lose control of some at random.

Command Undead (recharges on a 15+): As a standard action, you issue a command to an undead creature within 30'. Make a spell attack vs. Will against the target; if you hit, it takes a standard action of your choice.

Orator
An orator focuses on persuasion. To become an orator, you must have a Charisma of 13 or higher.

ORATOR ADVANCEMENT

When you gain an orator level, add 3d10% to your Charisma and 2d10% to your Intelligence. Once this reaches 100%, your ability score increases by one point.

1 --- None --- +1 Will --- None --- Oratory
2 --- None --- +1 Will --- None --- Oratory improves
3 --- +1 any --- None --- +1d6 --- Oratory improves

Oratory: You get a +2 bonus on skill checks involving oratory, including verbal persuasion, bluffs and intimidation. At 2nd level this bonus increases to +3, and at 3rd level it increases to +4.

Paladin
A holy warrior who fights for a sacred cause, a paladin generally sees himself as a heroic figure. Depending on the faith he follows, however, others might view him more darkly. To become a paladin, a character must have a base melee attack of +1, a base spell attack of +1 and must know the paladin fighting style.

PALADIN ADVANCEMENT
When you gain a paladin level, add 3d10% to your Charisma and 2d10% to your Strength. Once this reaches 100%, your ability score increases by one point.

1 --- None --- +1 Will --- None --- Lay on hands
2 --- None --- +1 AC --- None --- Protective aura
3 --- +1 melee --- +1 Fort --- +1d10 --- Smite

(*NOTE: It is indeed intentional that paladins get more bonuses to defenses than other prestige classes, since their powers largely don't help them out, only their allies, and sometimes even hurt them.)

Lay on Hands: As a standard action, you touch an ally and give it up to half of your current hit points. Each creature can only be subject to this ability once per day. (You lose the hit points you give.)

Protective Aura: Adjacent allies get a +2 bonus to AC, Fortitude and Will.

Smite (recharge 16+): As a full action, make a melee attack vs. Fortitude. If you hit, you knock the target prone and deal double damage.

Ranger
A ranger focuses on wilderness skills and mobility. To become a ranger, your base melee and ranged attack bonuses must both be +1.

RANGER ADVANCEMENT
When you gain a ranger level, add 3d10% to your Dexterity and 2d10% to your Constitution. Once this reaches 100%, your ability score increases by one point.

1 --- None --- +1 Ref --- None --- Wilderness lore
2 --- None --- +1 Fort --- None --- Ranger's stance
3 --- +1 melee or ranged --- None --- +1d8 --- Expert ranger's stance

Wilderness Lore: You gain a +1 bonus to skill checks involving the wilderness. If you already have wilderness lore, this stacks.

Ranger's Stance
As a move action, you may shift half your speed.
Expert: You gain a +2 bonus to initiative. When you are at least 15' from where you started your turn, you gain a +2 bonus to all defenses until the end of the round.

Shield Bearer
A shield bearer focuses on using a shield in combat. To become a shield bearer, you must know the weapon and shield fighting style.

SHIELD BEARER ADVANCEMENT
When you gain a shield bearer level, add 3d10% to your Wisdom and 2d10% to your Intelligence. When this reaches 100%, your ability score increases by one point.

1 --- None --- +1 AC --- None --- Shield expertise
2 --- None --- +1 AC --- None --- Shield expertise improves
3 --- +1 melee --- None --- +1d8 --- Shield expertise improves

Shield Expertise: While you wear a shield, you gain a +1 bonus to AC and Reflex. At 2nd level, you also reduce the severity of critical hits from attacks vs. AC, Fortitude or Reflex by 2d6. At 3rd level, you also reduce the distance an enemy maneuvers you by 10' and your bonus to AC and Reflex improves to +2.

Slayer
A slayer focuses on weapon skill. To become a slayer, you must have a +1 base melee and ranged attack bonus.

SLAYER ADVANCEMENT
When you gain a slayer level, add 3d10% to your Strength and 2d10% to your Dexterity. When this reaches 100%, your ability score increases by one point.

1 --- None --- +1 AC --- None --- Weapon mastery
2 --- None --- +1 AC --- None --- Weapon mastery improves
3 --- +1 melee --- None --- +1d8 --- Weapon mastery improves

Weapon Mastery: You get a +1 bonus to initiative and attacks when wielding a weapon you are proficient with. At 2nd level, you also get a +1 bonus to damage when wielding a weapon you are proficient with. At 3rd level, your bonus to attacks increases to +2 when wielding a weapon you are proficient with.

Slinger
A slinger focuses on becoming an expert with the sling- an unlikely choice, but one that a dedicated individual can make pay off. To become a slinger, you must be proficient in the sling, have the missile weapon fighting style and have a +1 base ranged attack.

SLINGER ADVANCEMENT
When you gain a slinger level, add 3d10% to your Dexterity and 2d10% to your Wisdom. Once this reaches 100%, your ability score increases by one point.

1 --- None --- +1 Ref --- None --- Rapid reload, rapid shot
2 --- None --- +1 AC --- None --- Expert slinger
3 --- +1 ranged --- None --- +1d10 --- Slinger's headshot

Rapid Reload: When you use a missile weapon that has reload standard, you can instead reload it with a minor action. When you use a missile weapon that has reload minor, you can instead reload it with a free action.

Rapid Shot: You can make a ranged attack with a sling as a minor action.

Expert Slinger: When you use a sling, you double your basic critical range and get a +1 bonus on attacks and damage.

Slinger's Headshot (recharges on a 12+): When you hit with a ranged attack with a sling, the target is also dazed until the end of the next round.

Sniper
A sniper focuses on making ranged attacks from hiding. To become a sniper, you must know the sneaky stance and have a +1 base ranged attack.

SNIPER ADVANCEMENT
When you gain a sniper level, add 3d10% to your Dexterity and 2d10% to your Wisdom. Once this reaches 100%, your ability score increases by one point.

1 --- None --- +1 Ref --- None --- Sniper
2 --- None --- +1 Ref --- None --- Hidden shot
3 --- +1 ranged --- None --- +1d6 --- Sneaky

Sniper: When you are hidden and you miss with a ranged attack, you may make a Dexterity check against each potential observer's Wisdom check to remain hidden (you choose the dice).

Hidden Shot: When you are hidden and you hit an enemy with a ranged attack, you deal an extra 1d6 points of damage.

Sneaky: You gain a +1 bonus to skill checks involving being sneaky or hiding.

Spearman
A spearman focuses on spears (some spearmen call themselves “pikesmen” or the like instead). To become a spearman, you must know the long stance.

SPEARMAN ADVANCEMENT
When you gain a spearman level, add 3d10% to your Dexterity and 2d10% to your Strength. When this reaches 100%, your ability score increases by one point.

1 --- None --- +1 AC --- None --- Tripping thrust
2 --- None --- +1 Ref --- None --- Fend
3 --- +1 melee --- None --- +1d10 --- Spear Expert

Tripping Thrust (recharges on a 10+): You must be wielding a spear. As a standard action, make a melee attack. If you hit, in addition to dealing damage, you knock the target prone.

Fend (recharges on a 6+): As an interrupt, when an enemy enters a square adjacent to you while you are wielding a spear, you may make an attack vs. Reflex. If you hit, you deal no damage but push the enemy out of your spear's reach. (If the target has movement remaining, it may still be able to close with you.)

Spear Expert: When you wield a spear, you gain a +2 bonus to attacks and a +1d8 severity bonus to critical hits.

Spy
A spy focuses on disguise and information gathering. To become a spy, you must know the liar stance.

SPY ADVANCEMENT
When you gain an iron mage level, add 3d10% to your Charisma and 2d10% to your Wisdom. Once this reaches 100%, your ability score increases by one point.

1 --- None --- +1 Will --- None --- Spy skills
2 --- None --- +1 Ref --- None --- Empty mind
3 --- +1 melee or ranged --- None --- +1d6 --- Escape artist

Spy Skills: You get a +2 bonus on skill checks to disguise yourself and to notice or find things.

Empty Mind: Trigger (interrupt): A creature attempts to read your mind. Effect: You make a Wisdom check opposed by its Charisma check to prevent the mindreading attempt (you choose the dice). If you win, the triggering enemy cannot preceive your thoughts. If you beat the target by at least 5, it cannot succeed at attempts to read your mind for 1 day.

Escape Artist: You get a +4 bonus on skill checks to escape bonds or grabs. Additionally, when making an opposed check to escape a grab, you always choose the dice.

Staff Savant
A staff savant focuses on the staff as an implement, using it to improve her defensive abilities. To become a staff savant, you must be proficient in the staff as an implement and you must have a +1 base spell attack.

STAFF SAVANT ADVANCEMENT
When you gain a staff savant level, add 3d10% to your Dexterity and 2d10% to your Intelligence. Once this reaches 100%, your ability score increases by one point.

1 --- None --- +1 AC --- None --- Staff defense
2 --- None --- +1 Ref --- None --- Deflect
3 --- +1 spell --- None --- +1d4 --- Staff defense improves

Staff Defense: While you wield a staff, you gain a +1 bonus to all defenses. At 3rd level, this bonus also applies to adjacent allies.

Deflect (recharges on a 15+): Trigger (interrupt): A ranged or ranged spell attack hits you. Effect: The attack instead hits a different creature of your choice within 20'. (If there is no other creature within 20', you may not use this power.)

Sunpriest
A sunpriest is a cleric who chooses to emphasize the Sun domain. To become a sunpriest, you must have access to the third valence of the Sun domain.

SUNPRIEST ADVANCEMENT

When you gain a sunpriest level, add 3d10% to your Charisma and 2d10% to your Intelligence. Once this reaches 100%, your ability score increases by one point.

1 --- None --- +1 Will --- None --- Daunting radiance
2 --- None --- +1 Fort --- None --- Sun domain advances
3 --- +1 spell --- None --- +1d8 --- Sun domain advances

Daunting Radiance: Whenever you hit with an attack that deals radiant damage, the target grants combat advantage until the end of the next round.

Sun Domain Advances: You become a priest of the sun domain at 2nd level (gaining access to the 4th valence of the domain) and a high priest at 3rd level (gaining access to the 5th valence of the domain).

Swordsman
A swordsman focuses on heavy blades (some swordsmen call themselves “glaivemen” or the like instead). To become a swordsman, you must know the swordsman stance.

SWORDSMAN ADVANCEMENT
When you gain a swordsman level, add 3d10% to your Strength and 2d10% to your Dexterity. When this reaches 100%, your ability score increases by one point.

1 --- None --- +1 AC --- None --- Heavy blade mastery
2 --- None --- +1 AC --- None --- Heavy blade mastery improves
3 --- +1 melee --- None --- +1d10 --- Heavy blade mastery improves

Heavy Blade Mastery: Your critical range doubles while you wield a heavy blade. At 2nd level, the bonuses your swordsman stance grant increase by +1. At 3rd level, you gain a +1d8 severity bonus when you score a critical hit with a heavy blade.

Tamer of Beasts
A tamer of beasts has a companion creature that fights alongside it. In order to become a tamer of beasts, you must singlehandedly subdue a beast two (or more) levels lower than you with an Intelligence of 3 or lower.

TAMER OF BEASTS ADVANCEMENT
When you gain a tamer of beasts level, add 3d10% to your Charisma and 2d10% to your Strength. Once this reaches 100%, your ability score increases by one point.

1 --- None --- +1 Will --- None --- Beast companion
2 --- None --- +1 Fort --- None --- Beast companion improves
3 --- +1 any --- None --- +1d8 --- Beast companion improves

Beast companion: The beast you subdues accompanies you and more or less obeys your commands (although it is a beast, and still follows its instincts). Although your beast prefers to avoid a fight, you may spend a minor action each round in combat to get your companion to join in the fight. At 2nd level and 3rd level, your beast companion gains a level (the dm will adjudicate this).

Thief
A thief focuses on stealing. To become a thief, you must know two of the following stances: stealthy stance, thief's stance and trapfinder stance.

THIEF ADVANCEMENT
When you gain a thief level, add 3d10% to your Dexterity and 2d10% to your Intelligence. Once this reaches 100%, your ability score increases by one point.

1 --- None --- +1 Ref --- None --- Thief skills
2 --- None --- +1 Ref --- None --- Thief skills improve
3 --- +1 melee or ranged --- None --- +1d6 --- Thief skills improve
Thief Skills: You get a +1 bonus on skill checks to be sneaky, pick pockets, open locks and find and disable traps. At 2nd level this bonus improves to +2, and at 3rd level it improves to +3.

Tome Initiate
A tome initiate is someone who focuses on the tome as an implement, mastering it in order to boost their mystical powers.

TOME INITIATE ADVANCEMENT
When you gain a tome initiate level, add 3d10% to your Intelligence and 2d10% to your Wisdom. Once this reaches 100%, your ability score increases by one point.

1 --- None --- +1 Will --- None --- Grimoire knowledge
2 --- None --- +1 Will --- None --- Gain 1 school
3 --- +1 spell --- None --- +1d4 --- Overwhelming knowledge

Grimoire Knowledge: Scribing a spell into your spellbook costs you only 50 gp x the highest level valence you can cast. You get a +2 bonus on skill checks involving books.

Gain 1 School: You gain access to a new school of magic. Unlike gaining a school as a wizard, you need not have access to a spell of that school, but you must have had some contact with that school. You may choose instead to advance one of your existing schools to the next valence (up to 3rd).

Overwhelming Knowledge (recharges on a 14+): Trigger: You hit an enemy with a spell attack. Effect: That enemy is also dazed (save ends on a 15+).

Wand Magus
A wand magus focuses on the wand as an implement, improving his accuracy. To become a wand magus, you must be proficient in the wand and you must have a +1 base spell attack.

WAND MAGUS ADVANCEMENT
When you gain a tome initiate level, add 3d10% to your Intelligence and 2d10% to your Wisdom. Once this reaches 100%, your ability score increases by one point.

1 --- None --- +1 Will --- None --- Wand of accuracy
2 --- None --- +1 AC --- None --- Conduct magic
3 --- +1 spell --- None --- +1d4 --- Lethal accuracy

Wand of Accuracy (recharges on a 16+): When you miss with a spell attack using your wand, you may reroll the attack.

Conduct Magic (recharges on a 10+): As a minor action, make a recharge roll for one of your spells or metamagic abilities.

Lethal Accuracy: Your spell attacks' base critical range doubles.

Warlock
A warlock is a creature that has gained magical powers through a pact with supernatural forces. To become a warlock, you must make such a bargain, offering service and soul to a powerful entity of your choice via a ritual that takes a day and requires 1000 gp in components. Your new supernatural patron periodically makes demands of you in return for the magical might that it gives you.

WARLOCK ADVANCEMENT
When you gain a warlock level, add 3d10% to your Charisma and 2d10% to your Intelligence. Once this reaches 100%, your ability score increases by one point.

1 --- None --- +1 Will --- None --- Eldritch blast
2 --- None --- +1 Will --- None --- Pact sacrifice
3 --- +1 spell --- None --- +1d6 --- Eldritch blast improves

Eldritch Blast: As a standard action, you can make a spell attack vs. Reflex against an enemy within a range of 60'. If you hit, you deal 1d10 points of force damage. Your eldritch blast is subject to metamagic as if it were a spell. At 3rd level, your damage increases to 2d8 and you get a +2 bonus to hit with your eldritch blast.

Pact Sacrifice: When you kill a creature, you regain hit points equal to its level.

Warlord
A warlord is a warrior who inspires and aids his allies. To become a warlord, you must have a Charisma of 11 and a base melee attack of +1.

WARLORD ADVANCEMENT
When you gain a warlord level, add 3d10% to your Charisma and 2d10% to your Strength. Once this reaches 100%, your ability score increases by one point.

1 --- None --- +1 Will --- None --- Inspiring Word
2 --- None --- +1 Fort --- None --- Stand Tough
3 --- +1 melee --- None --- +1d10 --- Commander's Strike

Inspiring Word (recharges on a 10+): One ally within 60' gains 5 temporary hit points that last until the end of the next round.

Stand Tough: You and allies within 25' get a +2 bonus on saving throws.

Commander's Strike: As a standard action, choose an ally and an enemy that are each within 30' of you. That ally makes an attack against that enemy.

the Jester

Legend
Jesus, that was a lot of formatting... and that's a long post.

I'm sure there are a couple of cut & paste errors in there somewhere, and none of this has been tested for balance or anything yet.

You know what I said about option overload? I'm hoping that a pc's stats, chosen weapons, etc will channel him towards a few prestige classes, helping to make for easy choices. Also, I'm huge on custom building stuff for individual pcs.

Other prestige classes I'm mulling (but haven't written up yet) include the tempest, for two-weapon fighting, a shifter class (for shapechanging), additional prcs for other cleric domains and wizard schools, etc. Speaking of schools and domains, that's what I will post next- it's part of the advancement section, but damn, that post was already too big. SRSLY.

Remove ads