• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Desolation RPG

Thanee

First Post
Did anyone ever play this?

It's a rules-light post-apocalyptic fantasy roleplaying game.

I have seen, that Crothian wrote a review about it. But apart from that (and a few other reviews on RPG.net), I havn't seen much about this game, yet.

Definitely looks like a fun game to me (bought the book a few days ago, when I noticed it in one of the FLGS around here). A bit like Earthdawn meets Fallout (w/o guns or radioactivity; it's a fantasy world that is beginning to recover after a magical cataclysm).

Bye
Thanee

Crothian

First Post
I ran it as a one shot. The people had played Hollow Earth Expedition so the rules were mostly niot that new to use. There are a few differences as always. The setting is cool and the hopelessness people feel can be a big theme. I really like the opening short story as it sets a dark tone.

Rel

Liquid Awesome
It was my major purchase at GenCon year before last. I love the premise and I also like HEX a lot.

However I ended up not really digging the magic system. This may be more of a "way it reads" rather than the "way it plays" because I haven't gotten around to playing it yet. Instead I ran my 4e game as a post-apoc fantasy game.

Still it has been great as a sourcebook for ideas and inspiration.

Thanee

First Post
Well, I guess I'm gonna give it a try soon, to find out how it turns out in play. :D

I like, that magic is drastically limited by Burn. This way it won't get out of hand (most likely), despite offering a lot of flexibility to the magic-wielders.

Bye
Thanee

Thanee

First Post
Have been taking a closer look at the rules every now and then during the last couple days.

Is it just me, or does it look like they heavily borrowed some elements from d20? :D

Size modifiers, Talents (Feats; often they work quite similar to D&D3E feats).

Overall, of course, it is totally different to d20, but some details seem strangely familiar. ;)

Bye
Thanee

P.S. Orderered Survivors today. :)

Remove ads