• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Detect Magic Spell?

buchw001

First Post
Just a rookie question from a new 3ed player.

Can the spell detect magic reveal the qualities of a magical weapon (say a +2 long sword) even if the spell that crated the magical enhancement to the weapon was cast long ago.

The spell states that the "arua" lingers at most 6 days.

Our DM wants us to really know our characters well and I don't want to look stupid when I cast this spell and expect it to reveal something ii can not.

Thanks for any replies in advance.

hong

WotC's bitch
The spell will reveal that the sword is magic, and after a round, that it's Transmutation magic (unless it's got some other funky enchantment). For anything more, you need the identify spell.

Alchemist

First Post
Your DM is a wise DM. I wish my players put more forethought in to pre-reading their spell lists.

"What do you mean my sleep spell failed? I rolled 6 HD worth of bad guys! There's no way that any one of them is 6 HD!" Sigh. Your DM will appreciate you having a clue as to the capabilities of your spells, and be prepared when your turn comes up. Don't wait for your initiative to ask the other players what you should cast. That's a good way to make the DM cranky. It makes me cranky, that's for sure. :)

buchw001

First Post
Thanks!

Thank you, and yes I think my DM is also wise. We spent an entire evening discussing each players character and the house rules that he will be using. He also told me about this wonderful site! I only wish I had found it sooner.

Since I am playing a first level druid and my detect magic spell will only reveal the school of magic involved, is there another way I can determine the specifics of a magical item.

I am also a little confused about the types of actions allowed in a round. My druid is a worshiper of Meilikki and as such is allowed to weild a short bow. Would it take an entire round to switch weapons from my scimitar to my bow before I could loose an arrow.

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
Re: Thanks!

I am also a little confused about the types of actions allowed in a round. My druid is a worshiper of Meilikki and as such is allowed to weild a short bow. Would it take an entire round to switch weapons from my scimitar to my bow before I could loose an arrow.

Sheathing your scimitar is a move-equivalent action, as is drawing your bow (without the Quick Draw feat).

Dropping your scimitar is a free action.

So in one round, you can either

a/ sheathe and draw, or

b/ drop, draw, and fire one arrow.

-Hyp.

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
Re: Thanks!

Since I am playing a first level druid and my detect magic spell will only reveal the school of magic involved, is there another way I can determine the specifics of a magical item.

Yup...

... pay a wizard to cast Identify...

-Hyp.

buchw001

First Post
Thanks again!

O.K.

Thanks to all. With your help and my researching I should be an excellent addition to this campaign. I'll be back with other questions (I'm sure)

Kae'Yoss

First Post
Note that identify will only discover the single most basic function of the item. For full identification, you need Analyse Dweomer. But that would not be to bad at first, as you surely won't encounter +1 anythingelse weapons to soon, since they would effectively be +2 weapons if it comes to pricing.

Darklone

You can draw a weapon while moving (and if the DM allows it, sheathe it while moving) if your BAB is at least +1. That means for you: second level.

If you want any other proposals or ideas or rule help for your character, just ask. The monkeys here are glad to answer.

Ack. Nearly forgot this. If you walk around, wield the bow in the off hand and the scimitar in the mainhand. That way you can quickly react to melee attacks by slicing back and sheathe the scimitar and shoot in one round. (Assuming your DM allows this)

Last edited:

hammymchamham

First Post
now I know Identify only reveals the lowest level of magic on the item, is their a spell that reveals everything? If so, I missed it, becuase I have house ruled it for when I DM that it reveals everything (this way I don't have to worry about what it does and keep track of all of the magic items).

Also your DM is wise. I do a "mini RP time" with my players to do background story with the players (like 20-30 minutes each) just to set the stage for the campaign and how they got to where the campaign starts.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads