Dexter New Blood (Spoilers)

Stalker0

Legend
The season of Dexter New Blood just finished, and I just want to say.... hot damn. This was the final season we wanted from Dexter, smart, interesting, and an actual neat way to tie up the season.

I'm just going to remove the last season of original dexter from my mind, replace it with this, and be a happy man.

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
The season of Dexter New Blood just finished, and I just want to say.... hot damn. This was the final season we wanted from Dexter, smart, interesting, and an actual neat way to tie up the season.

I'm just going to remove the last season of original dexter from my mind, replace it with this, and be a happy man.
I really disliked the ending............................again. I wish they would have just let him sit in jail while she went to discover the bodies, then ended it there. If they wanted another season, they could have come up with a way that he gets away with it. If they didn't, we could assume he was found guilty. His "sacrifice" and the killing of that officer at the end just went against what he was about. Serial killers don't really deviate from their pattern.

It was overall a good season, though.

Stalker0

Legend
I really disliked the ending............................again. I wish they would have just let him sit in jail while she went to discover the bodies, then ended it there. If they wanted another season, they could have come up with a way that he gets away with it. If they didn't, we could assume he was found guilty. His "sacrifice" and the killing of that officer at the end just went against what he was about. Serial killers don't really deviate from their pattern.

It was overall a good season, though.
To me the proper ending for Dexter was always he goes to prison or he's in a body bag.

The killing of the cop made sense in this context, Angela was too Lawful Good....even if he could convince her he took down Kurt she would never let him go, and once Angel made his way there....its game over. Dexter broke the code to be with his son, the irony of which is what led to the final schism between them.

Dexter ultimately made two mistakes, one very in character for him, and one that if people wanted to nitpick I could agree with.
  • Dexter could have told Angela about Kurt a lot sooner, once he was dead. This would have helped explain a lot of things, Dexter's weird behavior at times, etc etc. However, that's not Dexter's pattern, he doesn't work within the law like that, but outside it. And so that was a flaw for him that is very understandable, but ultimately led to his downfall.

• The screw in the house. This one could be considered a plot blunder. Dexter is a careful CAREFUL person, and he knew about the screw and its possible tie to him. He's a forensic guy, he knows they have serial numbers on them. So the fact that he was super casual with the cops around his burned down house was a bit out of character, even without the screw, there should have been a bit more paranoia about cops getting access to his stuff inside....there would be some paranoid that there was SOMETHING they forgot about. This could have been forgiven more except for the fact that the screw and its inability to burn has already been thrown in Dexter's face by Kurt, and so Dexter now forgetting about that is awfully convenient.

But at the end of the day, those were nitpicks for me, as the overall plot really worked for me. I loved Angela's slow descent into suspicion, and I appreciated that she already knew Dexter wasn't Jim when the little trickle of evidence started to come out. This allowed her to be more paranoid and push on little things in investigations she might normally dismiss, but it being completely justified with her current mindset.

I will also say, that Deb has the highlight of the show for me. I LOVED her being the voice in Dexter's head this season, one minute supporting him, the next ripping him apart. You can tell Jennifer Carpenter had fun with that.

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
The killing of the cop made sense in this context, Angela was too Lawful Good....even if he could convince her he took down Kurt she would never let him go, and once Angel made his way there....its game over. Dexter broke the code to be with his son, the irony of which is what led to the final schism between them.
He wasn't guaranteed to go down for these things, and he could have been killed/imprisoned without his son being involved.
Dexter ultimately made two mistakes, one very in character for him, and one that if people wanted to nitpick I could agree with.
  • Dexter could have told Angela about Kurt a lot sooner, once he was dead. This would have helped explain a lot of things, Dexter's weird behavior at times, etc etc. However, that's not Dexter's pattern, he doesn't work within the law like that, but outside it. And so that was a flaw for him that is very understandable, but ultimately led to his downfall.
Sure, but it was only a potential downfall. The shot marks and ketamine on their own likely wouldn't have been enough to convict him.
  • The screw in the house. This one could be considered a plot blunder. Dexter is a careful CAREFUL person, and he knew about the screw and its possible tie to him. He's a forensic guy, he knows they have serial numbers on them. So the fact that he was super casual with the cops around his burned down house was a bit out of character, even without the screw, there should have been a bit more paranoia about cops getting access to his stuff inside....there would be some paranoid that there was SOMETHING they forgot about. This could have been forgiven more except for the fact that the screw and its inability to burn has already been thrown in Dexter's face by Kurt, and so Dexter now forgetting about that is awfully convenient.
The screw was a mistake, but one he provided a VERY plausible explanation for Kurt "ran" and burned down his house. The argument that Kurt planted the screw in the house creates very reasonable doubt.
But at the end of the day, those were nitpicks for me, as the overall plot really worked for me. I loved Angela's slow descent into suspicion, and I appreciated that she already knew Dexter wasn't Jim when the little trickle of evidence started to come out. This allowed her to be more paranoid and push on little things in investigations she might normally dismiss, but it being completely justified with her current mindset.
Same. As I said in my last post, overall I liked the season. It was just the ending that didn't really make sense.
I will also say, that Deb has the highlight of the show for me. I LOVED her being the voice in Dexter's head this season, one minute supporting him, the next ripping him apart. You can tell Jennifer Carpenter had fun with that.
My wife and I didn't care for the switch from Harry to Deb, but we understood it.

Remove ads