DF's "The Slaying Stone" 4e

Alkirk sighs. "These are not rational beings. They cannot be reasoned with. They have occupied our home for far too long. They must be destroyed. If you can convince them to leave peacefully, of course that would be better. But it cannot be done."

Inspiratorium

First Post
"I could try negotiatiions," Mathariel offers, "I've been trained as a diplomat, and admittedly, I am a bit uneasy about magical 'mass slaughter' myself."

Voda Vosa

First Post
The wizard had been silent for the last few hours. "I am certain such a powerful device must be at least interesting to look at. But it strikes me; why wouldn't you, Terona, weaver of spells, of such renown that even I, Sindabar, a humble practitioner of the Art, from the far east, have heard of you; why wouldn't you retrieve the artefact? With a few well placed spells you could walk undetected and untouched among the goblins, while you search for the stone. Why sending the unlike collection of persons that we are in search of this object? Why doesn't Lord Alkirk, in his wolf form, sneaks in and kills whatever resistance he finds? am I to guess the goblins have such powerful means of destruction that Mistress Terona and Lord Alkirk are afraid of them? If so, what are the odds four our mismatched fellowship to succeed? There is much you, friend priest of Ioun should worry to know, before you embark blindly in this quest; at least I thought Ioun favoured knowledge, and there's nothing but void of it as far as now." the mage concludes, holding his crafter staff at his side.

Inspiratorium

First Post
The eladrin waits patiently for Sindabar to finish, then offers, "Ioun teaches one to seek out knowledge. Whether it is through learning or experience is her disciple's decision, not her commandment. But you have a point," he looks at the Alkirk and Treona, "If we are to take on this task, there is much you need explain first. I suppose we should start with this man's questions."

"Very well, very well," says Alkirk, taking a seat and motioning that you should do the same. "Firstly, allow me to dispel the rumor that any lycanthropic blood runs through my veins. I am not inheritor to my cousins' curse, and I would prefer you not leap to conclusions. And you are right to believe Treona once could have have obtained this stone on her own. But, to put it delicately..."

"I'm old!" she chimes in. "Far too old for that sort of thing."

"Indeed," Alkirk confirms. "As am I. And never have I had any combat training. I would be as useless on this expedition as any other fifty-year old civilian. And you," he turns to Mathariel. "You seek peace with the monstrous races? Though I weep for the many women and children the goblins murdered during their rampage, I understand your trepidation. But hear this: once you've been to Kiris and seen the evidence of their dark deeds with your own virginal eyes, you will hate them with as much vigor as I do."

Phaezen

First Post
Banmarden considers what has been said

"We agree that something must be done about the goblins, but feel that the slaying stone may only be a temporary fix. What will you use the next time? If our companions agree we will investigate the rumor of another stone and see what we can do to get rid of the goblins. Is this acceptable?"

Voda Vosa

First Post
"I think this explains a big deal. I'm fine with this quest, I really have nothing else now, so some coin will suit me just fine. Its the unknown that disturbs me." states rather plainly the mage, with a side smile to Treona. Admitting she was too old was surely a painful deed for her. Sindabar 1, Treona 0.

Inspiratorium

First Post
"I would be satisfied with that offer," Mathariel offers, "Besides, that stone is a piece of history, it would be a shame to use it if there were other alternatives." He looks towards Patrin expectantly, waiting on the Dragonborn's word of approval.

"Good, good," replies Alkirk. He pulls a bundle of identical maps from a drawer in his desk, and hands them to Mathariel. "Pass those out, would you?"

He clears his throat and continues. "The town is large and well infested with vermin. Treona's research suggests you begin by looking in the library, though you may choose where to hunt. In order to facilitate the process of locating the stone, Treona will provide you with the reagents for a ritual."

Treona steps forward and distributes a trio of small leather pouches. "Be careful with these, dearies. Don't lose them!"

"Yes, yes," Alkirk interrupts impatiently. "Once you've found the stone, you may activate it yourselves or bring it to us. Either way, be sure to return here for your reward and debriefing. Any further questions?"

Remove ads