Diagonal Movement

axp_dave

First Post
What is the cost for diagonal movement and where can I find the rules?

I believe it is 5 feet for the first Diagonal Square and 10 feet for the next, and then alternating between 5 and 10 feet per diagonal squares even if they are not concurrent diagonal moves. I just cannot find where I think this rule exist.

My DM and group are using 7.5 for every diagonal square and I would like to provide more information on the above movement. Is this a rule, or am I wrong? What are you thoughts on this?

Our current method means if you move one diagnoal you lose 2.5 feet because your mvoement would get to 27.5(4 regualr moves and a 7.5 diagonal), but you cannot go another square or you move 32.5. The method that I would like to move towards (no pun intended) is more generous on the first square counting it as a 5, but I need to have more documentation and thoughts on it.

Crothian

First Post
I don't think this is covered in the rules. At least I have never seen nor heard about one. However, we use the rule you've suggested and it works well.

KarinsDad

Adventurer
There is no rule on this.

There was discussion on the 5/10/5/10 over a year ago. Some of the WotC people at the time (Monty and Sean I think) said that you should use this rule, but I do not think anything official ever came of it.

Marion Poliquin

First Post
KarinsDad said:
There is no rule on this.

There was discussion on the 5/10/5/10 over a year ago. Some of the WotC people at the time (Monty and Sean I think) said that you should use this rule, but I do not think anything official ever came of it.

The most important thing is that 5/10/5/10 seems to work just fine.

Altalazar

First Post
At first, as DM, i just made each diagonal 5 and didn't worry about it. It really only comes up occasionally. Now we're to the 5/10/5 rule, and that's fine too. The most important thing is to be consistent, I think. In the long run, the 5/10/5 might work best for complicated tactical situations with a lot of manuevering.

I wouldn't recommend 7.5 - that just gets too complicated and comes out about the same anyway.

When I play, as DM or not, we try to stick to the squares and do the best we can. If we're a little off, so be it. As long as everyone has fun.

CRGreathouse

Community Supporter
By my literal reading of the rules, a diagonal move counts as 5 feet; obviously, this isn't very accurate.

The 5/10 rule was suggested by some of the designers, and I reccomend it highly. 7.5 is a bad idea, as it severely limits tactical 5-foot steps.

My group uses 5/10 and it works great. Just for clarification, we don't keep track from round to round. If you move one diagonal every round, for instance, you're paying 5 ft of movement each time, not 5 one round then 10 the next. Not worth keeping track round to round and people usually have more pressing concerns than maximizing their diagonal movement over the course of an entire combat.

Remove ads