• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Dice Games vs Computer Games

Satori

First Post
Because my work involves a lot of time around a computer, I've become sort of a forum hog. I frequent a bunch of different discussion groups to kill time throughout the day, and I was prompted to start this thread because of a comment I saw on another forum.

The forum was a martial arts/sport combat site that I frequent because when I'm not pretending to be a gigantic bloodthirsty barbarian, I enjoy getting punched in the face and choked into unconsciousness.

The comment was fairly derogatory towards "Dice Gamers", and a specific line stated, "Wasn't DnD supposed to be replaced by new, cutting edge video games?"

This got me thinking about the critical differences between Computer Games and Dice Games. In the end, I found a lot in favor of our favorite past time.

1. Dice Games encourage creativity.
-Computer games show you EXACTLY what is happening. While you may have some options in character creation or even character action...ultimately someone else decides what and how you do something by hardcoding it. It takes quite a stretch of the imagination to deviate from what a video game tells you is happening.

-Dice Games, on the other hand, rely completely on personal ingenuity during play and conception. While some rather boring players create generic "Bob the Fighter" PCs, most experienced gamers tend to stretch the boundaries of their imagination in creating dynamic, interesting, and multi-layered characters...on a roleplaying AND mechanics level. Actions are tailored to the PCs, and a DM often has no idea what will happen next...unlike a video game, which has extremely scripted responses even in the loosest game types.

2. Dice Games encourage reading.
-Computer games have become the next form of TV. Everyone is playing them, and the audience ranges from pre-teenagers to 70 year old grannies. The ever shifting environments, character actions, colors, pictures, dialogue, etc...all simulate TV in a sense. Sure, it is interactive TV...but still a form of rapidly changing pictures to reinforce ADD type attention spans.

-Dice Games require a bit more focus. While we all have had obnoxious, hyperactive players running crazy...this tends to be a minor occurence. Most games rely heavily on listening skills, problem solving, and creative action. Players are almost universally encouraged to read pertinent material about the game, and many settings read like geographical/historical texts.

3. Dice Games are social.
-How many people have sad stories about their old friend they lost due to Everquest...or that creepy neighbor kid that never showers and spends entire days at a time sitting at his computer. While many games encourage social behavior, a great deal are solo events that simply require one person in front of their TV/Computer. Even "Social" events within Computer games take place with non-physical, in game people that the player will likely never meet in person.

-The popular image of the overweight, acne-covered, socially inept DnD nerd is hard to shake...but no matter how you slice it, YOU NEED FRIENDS TO PLAY! Aside from online systems like OpenRPG, you need real, physical people to be present in order to get a game going. DnD is a social event, and while it may not fit certain societial standards for "Parties", it at least ensures that the most reclusive player at least has a handful of real friends and a regular "Social" experience.

4. Dice Games are ongoing.
-I have a dozen or so video games that I really enjoyed...yet remain unfinished in storage or in a drawer simply because I didn't want them to end. Sound silly? Sure it does...but the fact remains that after I kill that final boss, the game really has nothing new or refreshing to offer. In order to continue the experience, you need to continually shell out more cash for expansions, updates, and sequels.

-The three core books for DnD offer an ETERNITY of possible game creations for imaginitive DMs and players. After that initial investment, everything else is basically optional and unnecessary...and capable of running decades long campaigns for possibly endless entertainment for a group of people. There are no hardcoded limits, and no required expansions to purchase.

---These are just four advantages in favor of Dice Games that rolled off the top of my head this morning.

What are some of your thoughts?

Scribble

First Post
In Dice games, YOU create the experience rather then simply experience it. It's similar to why for me, while I love movies, books will always be better.

Dice games have limitless possibility... Limited only by your imagination. In a dice game, you can walk into an inn or tavern and say/do just about anything, whereas with a computer game there are always limitations. They are getting betetr at that, but still...

Look at the D20 based games already... Like KOTOR... To "speak" to NPCs you pretty much have a set number of things you can say.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
Just in case you hadn't gotten the local terminology -

Around here, "dice games" are more commonly called "pen and paper" or "tabletop rpgs". The video games are "CRPGs" (for "computer role playing games")

Thornir Alekeg

Albatross!
With a good group and especially a good DM, the PnP gaming experience can be tailored to suit your needs. With CRPGs the games are suited to fit the target demographic as best they can.

With CRPGs you can usually pick up the game whenever you feel like it and play for as much or as little as you like. No need to coordinate the schedule of four or more people.

With most CRPGs the game is balanced. You cannot access certain levels, features or opponents until you have what you need to handle it.

I think there is plenty of room for both PnP games and CRPGs, I just don't have enough time for either.

Satori

First Post
Sorry about the terminology discrepency. I was going to use "Tabletop" or "PnP", but I realize that now a days Play By Post and OpenRPG style games are extremely popular. Even though it is technically the same thing, there is no "Tabletop" or even "Pens and Paper" in a PbP or OpenRPG game...so I felt silly for using it.

Also, I wasn't just specifically targeting Computer RPGs...but ALL Computer Games in general.

The horrid, painful, blunt truth is that ALL video games are "Role Playing" in one form or another. Sure, you may not play a 3rd level Elven Archer when you plug in HALO...but you are essentially assuming the role of a Space Marine type character.

Even Sports Games let you "become" a favored athlete during the course of the competition, and strategy games let you assume the roll of a world creator or god-like General (in the case of non-character centered strategy games like Command and Conquer).

If it makes more sense on this board to use PnP and CRPG regardless of the above reasoning...then I submit to the majority :p

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
Satori said:
The horrid, painful, blunt truth is that ALL video games are "Role Playing" in one form or another.

Depends on your definitions, perhaps, but I expect that's not really true - unless you figure that one's playing the role of a naval officer when playing Minesweeper, or a card shark when playing solitare. I hate to think what you must be when playing Chuzzle...

If it makes more sense on this board to use PnP and CRPG regardless of the above reasoning...then I submit to the majority :p

Sometimes it pays to use new terms, sometimes it doesn't.

In this case, I was only trying to insert a little information to help ease potential confusion. I don't personally give a hoot which term you use. But, since play-by-post and OpenRPG or other online rpg forms often don't use physical dice either, I submit that your term is no more accurate than any other :)

Allandaros

Explorer
To be fair, some compyGames promote reading and allow for (limited) creativity. Planescape: Torment comes to mind (although obviously it's the exception and not the rule).

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads