Did anyone else run high level campaigns in 2e ?

Greggy C

Hero
We had a 2Ed campaign that got into 25+ level PCs after almost 20 years. Sometimes, the PCs were as dangerous to each other as their foes…
I can't remember how it came about but we definitely had one session with PvP, that was a lot of fun and fairly balanced despite a wide variety of classes.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
I can't remember how it came about but we definitely had one session with PvP, that was a lot of fun and fairly balanced despite a wide variety of classes.
It was less about PvP- though that DID happen sometimes- and more about friendly fire. Emphasis on “fire”.

Ath-kethin

Elder Thing
I never had a 2e campaign go from 1-20 or anything, but we played high level games all the time. we'd start characters at 12th or 15th level and go to town. We loved it, and we still talk about those campaigns today (as in, my friend and I were talking about one yesterday).

GuyBoy

Hero
Played a long term game which concluded with completion of Return to the Tomb of Horrors. The dead city of Moil was terrifying and the "lone wolf" rogue character learnt a very fatal lesson by leaving the party behind to tackle a Winter Wight.

I had a 2e campaign that went as far as 12th-16th level, depending on the character. It started in 1e, and switched to 2e at around 7th level or so.

I had really just started to develop and grow as a DM in 2e, so I wasn't really prepared to handle high-level play. Had I been better, I would likely have continued the campaign even further.

Mark Hope

Adventurer
Yes. I've had a few characters in my games make it up to 20th level or higher, with several others in the mid to high teens. Some have even managed to ascend to divinity. It's pretty cool to see someone play a cleric of a character who was in the game 20 years ago and is now a deity. I love high-level AD&D - there's not much else in the fantasy genre that's quite like it.

Greggy C

Hero
Yes. I've had a few characters in my games make it up to 20th level or higher, with several others in the mid to high teens. Some have even managed to ascend to divinity. It's pretty cool to see someone play a cleric of a character who was in the game 20 years ago and is now a deity. I love high-level AD&D - there's not much else in the fantasy genre that's quite like it.
nice, we have a Lich, but my players were too competitive to allow one to become a deity lol, the others would have to become ones too.

TheSword

Legend
1173C75E-AB18-423C-A24B-AAE66AD781E0.jpeg

Loved this book. Really good advice for high level campaigns and some interesting options. One of the few 2nd Ed books I didn’t sell.

nevin

Hero
highest my 2e campaign got was around 18th. I found that once you got passed 10 that as a DM I had to keep a running tab of who the players action hurt and helped all the way up to the Gods and down to the hells. My wizard got really cocky and arrogant and the last few levels was them trying to get out of Hades after a really bad snap decision sent them there. To this day I can't get that group of players to leave thier home plane....

Remove ads