• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Difficulty Playing D&D: Player Still Waiting Off Screen After 3+ Hours

Jaelommiss

First Post
Before I ask my questions allow me to share with you an experience I suffered while playing D&D last night. Our sessions last around four hours. This will be relevant later in the post.

As a party we had been becoming more and more aware of an approaching orc army. After a number of side missions, we found a large warband as a random encounter. The majority of the party decided to flee to town and help them prepare for the assault. Instead of following them, I rode my awakened (bard 3) horse as fast as I could in another direction after privately telling the one party member I trusted to buy for time and to "look to my coming on the first light of the morrow, at dawn look to the north." That's right. I was headed to a nearby allied fortress to pull a Gandalf on these orcs. Since we were playing online it was easy enough to keep my plan private between myself, the DM, and one other player. After a private Persuasion roll to get past the guards, I explained what I was asking the castle's commander. Relevant modifiers from political knowledge meant that I did not even need to roll to convince the leader to lend me soldiers. This entire process took about a dozen private messages back and forth, and was concluded less than fifteen minutes into the session. This includes telling him how I planned on deploying the soldiers I got and the exact strategy I would use upon reaching the town. I now just had to let everyone hold them back until dawn.

Before continuing I should mention that I had, as a ranger, set orcs as one of my favoured enemies. I used downtime to follow orc scouting parties and study them. To the best of my knowledge I knew more about their tactics and strategy than anyone for a hundred miles. Before riding off screen I had even asked what I could surmise about their plan of attack in case they wouldn't be aiming for a protracted siege. Everything I had been given suggested that the assault wouldn't be a quick raid and that I could safely spend the night riding to get help.

Five minutes (at the table) later the others had returned to town and were preparing defences, searching for healing potions, and generally digging in for the long haul. The orcs arrived, made their demands, and gave the party an hour to respond. At this point I still thought that I would be able to help since everything was happening on the scale of hours.

After some cheating during the negotiations (involving the Grasping Vine spell to rescue a captive), the DM spoke the words I had been dreading: "roll for initiative." I knew that fighting would occur, but I also knew that modelling it in six second increments would not end well. The army was instantly converted into a pile of hit points that could be forced to retreat with enough "I attack the orcs." The reinforced and barricaded gate fell twelve seconds after they starting hacking it with their battleaxes. Clearly our defences were made of cardboard. By the fourth round (24 seconds in) they had flooded into the streets. I'm not sure how they can cross the couple hundred feet to our walls, batter them down, and all charge inside that quickly, but these orcs managed to do it.

I would occasionally bring up thoughts like "why did none of the civilians go to the keep after being warned that an army was approaching and then having an entire hour after the orcs arrived to walk five hundred feet to safety" but was regularly beaten down for being unfun (apparently never having been attacked before prevents people from knowing that multiple feet thick stone walls can protect you from murderous orcs). Instead, I got told to mute myself (I really wish I were exaggerating, but the DM actually said "name, can you mute your mic and let us get back to the game?") and got to sit there for three and a half hours listening to them reduce an entire siege to a number of rounds, hit points, and attacks. I had expected to be waiting somewhere between an hour and ninety minutes for the night to pass while the others managed the defenses abstractly on a broad scale, with the occasional side mission where they would secure a breached wall or fall back from a compromised position.

When I confronted the DM after the session about it I was told that I got given stuff to do and chose not to. Looking back through the chat log (that I wasn't bothering to look at since I had no interest in watching everyone else roll their attacks for three hours) I found a private message saying that I ran into complications on the road. Okay, that's fine. My mista- Wait. Orcs? You mean like the orc scouting parties that would hang back and observe? Or the orc raiding party that is miles away and probably already defeated? The slow, on foot orcs that have half the movement rate of my awakened horse that could cast Longstrider on itself if it thought it needed even more speed? You mean those orcs? Your defence for my not being able to do anything this session is an encounter with enemies that I can (and should) safely ignore without adding more than a few seconds to my journey?

In case you can't tell, I'm pretty frustrated by this. A session gets canceled when unexpected things come up. Someone might get sick halfway through the session and it has to be delayed until the following week. Those, while disappointing, are justifiable. Inviting your players to a game only to have one player actively excluded for almost the entire session is NOT. It wasn't even like I had decided that I didn't want to go to that dungeon and instead stayed in the tavern. I didn't decide not to go on the ship because I thought it would be faster to walk. Based on the available knowledge I developed a plan (possibly even a reasonable plan) that involved interacting with the world to a greater degree than applying pointy pieces of metal to creatures, and for my efforts essentially got told to sit down, shut up, and wait for the end of the night. Perhaps worst of all is that this is not an isolated incident. Following a character death I waited to get back in. After two hours of sitting and doing nothing the party had a TPK and the session ended. It was an post-cataclysmic exploration based game taking place on a mostly isolated island so it makes sense that I'd have to wait a while, but even then two hours is a long time to sit and do nothing.

My questions are pretty simple:
· As a DM, what would you do in this situation to ensure that everyone is included? (I DM a couple of games and I want to avoid doing this myself)
· Given the risk of being excluded, should plans that involve taking players off screen for more than a minute or two be prohibited? If plans that take a player off screen for an extended period are allowed, how much effort should the DM take in fast forwarding through that time?
· As a player, how would you respond if your DM did this? Is confronting the DM appropriate? Although we did have a Session Zero where people expressed an interest in playing a more strategic game, most players quickly decided that it is impossible to have fun without hitting things.
· Is my indignation justified? At this point I am seriously considering quitting the game. I can understand and accept a plan failing if it has a fatal flaw or if the dice don't allow it. If there is a missing piece of information that causes it to fail that is fine too. But when a player makes a decent plan (was it a decent plan?) based on invested time researching, their class features specific to the situation, and knowledge of game world politics, is it reasonable to expect it to at the least take place at some time during the session instead of being shunted to the side?

In case anyone was wondering, I got given 20 goblins and 10 hobgoblins. I myself am a seventh level Mounted Combatant Polearm Master Spell-less Hunter Ranger with a Belt of Stone Giant Strength, mounted on an awakened 3rd level Bard horse. My plan was to have the goblins fire a volley of arrows at the orcs while the hobgoblins follow me. My horse (still a third level bard) would cast Thunderwave to create a breach in the orc line. I would then widen the gap using maneuvers and four attacks (Attack, Extra Attack, Horde Breaker, Haft). The hobgoblins would rush in and fight tightly together to maximize Martial Advantage for 1d8+2d6+1 with each longsword attack. The goblins would hide each turn (if possible) and continue providing ranged support. Pinched between the my force and the defenders, the orcs would almost certainly fall apart.

My DM reads follows these boards, and I have already told him that I will be posting this. It is possible that he will end up posting his version of events later on. What I have written is my own perspective on the session and is undoubtedly tainted by my own bias and perception.

Last edited:

delericho

Legend
I was headed to a nearby allied fortress to pull a Gandalf on these orcs.

Ick. Split parties are a pain. Especially when the nature of the split is deliberately set up such that one character is going to be absent for an extended period of time.

I hate to say it, but from my perspective the person most responsible for you being excluded in this case is you. After all, you took your character off on your own days-long side-quest. Now, that said, I do think your DM handled something badly:

Five minutes (at the table) later the others had returned to town and were preparing defences, searching for healing potions, and generally digging in for the long haul. The orcs arrived, made their demands, and gave the party an hour to respond. At this point I still thought that I would be able to help since everything was happening on the scale of hours.

Had it been me, I would have delayed this event until several days had passed in-game, so that your PC was well on his way back, so that you could return in good time. And I'd have placed the delay before the orcs showed up. The moment the negotiations started, there was a real good chance it was going to go south.

My questions are pretty simple:
· As a DM, what would you do in this situation to ensure that everyone is included? (I DM a couple of games and I want to avoid doing this myself)

Make sure the players are well aware of the timescales involved. If the orcs are going to arrive in hours and one PC is planning to absent themself for days, make it clear they're going to miss out on the fun. But if they still choose that route, then that's on them.

In the event that a PC is unavoidably absent from a scene that's going to take a long time to play out, I'll find something else for the player to do - be it run a couple of friendly NPCs, run some of the bad guys, or something. Because it does indeed suck if they can't do anything.

· Given the risk of being excluded, should plans that involve taking players off screen for more than a minute or two be prohibited? If plans that take a player off screen for an extended period are allowed, how much effort should the DM take in fast forwarding through that time?

Prohibited? No. Strongly discouraged.

· As a player, how would you respond if your DM did this? Is confronting the DM appropriate? Although we did have a Session Zero where people expressed an interest in playing a more strategic game, most players quickly decided that it is impossible to have fun without hitting things.

People are too quick to jump to confrontation, IMO. Discuss it with the DM.

· Is my indignation justified? At this point I am seriously considering quitting the game.

If you're not having fun, walk away. Life's too short to play in bad games. But if it was just a glitch in an otherwise enjoyable game, put it down to experience and play on.

But when a player makes a decent plan (was it a decent plan?) based on invested time researching, their class features specific to the situation, and knowledge of game world politics, is it reasonable to expect it to at the least take place at some time during the session instead of being shunted to the side?

When dealing with a split party, I'll try to slice my time between players as far as possible. Which means that if you (1 player) are off doing your own thing while the others (4 players) are doing something else, they'll get 20 minutes for every 5 I'll give you (on average). I'll try to slice the time up such that you're never waiting too long without some sort of activity.

But with the timings involved, it's difficult to see how things could have happened differently - your character simply didn't have time to complete his side-mission in the timescale of the adventure. So I suspect the best I could have done was to give you an early 'escape hatch' for your plan, where you see something that indicates you need to get back, coupled with some means to actually do that (orc reinforcements on magic carpets, or something, with one carpet landed for a comfort break?).

My DM reads follows these boards, and I have already told him that I will be posting this. It is possible that he will end up posting his version of events later on. What I have written is my own perspective on the session and is undoubtedly tainted by my own bias and perception.

Kudos for recognising that you may not be entirely objective. You'd be surprised at how rare that is.

Gnarl45

First Post
D&D is a game that works best when played as a group.

You wanted to be the lone wolf that saves the day and it backlashed. You're the only person to blame for it.

Next time, tell the others your plan and work together as a team.

Seriously, why didn't you bring the others along? They could have helped and everybody would have had fun.

kalil

Explorer
Yes. Barging off on your own on a self-invented side quest can have that effect. Gandalf did not participate in the battle of Helms Deep.

Jaelommiss

First Post
Had it been me, I would have delayed this event until several days had passed in-game, so that your PC was well on his way back, so that you could return in good time. And I'd have placed the delay before the orcs showed up. The moment the negotiations started, there was a real good chance it was going to go south.

Make sure the players are well aware of the timescales involved. If the orcs are going to arrive in hours and one PC is planning to absent themself for days, make it clear they're going to miss out on the fun. But if they still choose that route, then that's on them.

I didn't explain the distances and time properly in my first post. The castle I was headed to is in a forest roughly 25 miles north of the town. We came across the orcs at around 2pm, roughly 30 miles NE of town and 20 miles ESE of the castle. All of us were mounted, so I made it to the castle in 4 hours (6pm), spent an hour talking to the leader (7pm), Long Rest because I'm up to nine hours travelled already (3am), four hour ride to town (7am/dawn). The orcs, I assumed, would reach the town around 10pm at a fast pace and on foot. If the fortified town would fall in nine hours then the presence of a single extra fighter would have likely made little difference overall.

I agree that it would have been entirely my fault if I had planned on being gone for even longer though. The timing just happened to work out perfectly for what I wanted to do. We'd known that the orcs were coming at some time since we'd found advance parties as long as fourteen months previous, but we didn't have an exact date. When the DM rolled a 20 followed by a 17 for a random encounter he decided that it was time for something big.

Last edited:

jrowland

First Post
As a DM, what would you do in this situation to ensure that everyone is included? (I DM a couple of games and I want to avoid doing this myself)

Any number of things depending on the adventure I was running. We don't know what your DM was running, but we can surmise a few things. First, IF the adventure was meant to be a "prepare the defenses" skill type challenge, which I think you presumed it to be, then your actions would have taken place in turn. Typically inscenarios like that I handle things in 4 hour blocks:
Block 1: You ride to allied keep, rest of party rides to town
Block 2: You plead for help, rest of party prepares for defenses
Block 3: You ride to town with help (or not) close behind, rest of party prepares for defenses
Block 4: You arrive in town, rest of party prepares for defenses
Block 5: Siege begins, adv/dis based on # defenses prepared

However, perhaps the orc warband was moving too fast, was too close etc. In that case, I would inform you that you wouldn't have time, the attack could be over before you arrived with help.

And so on. The point being The DM should portray what is possible, and while it may seem railroading, sometimes as a DM you have to say: Sorry, that's just not possible. And if, as a DM, I allow you to wander off course, I need to adjust to make sure you are included.

Given the risk of being excluded, should plans that involve taking players off screen for more than a minute or two be prohibited? If plans that take a player off screen for an extended period are allowed, how much effort should the DM take in fast forwarding through that time?

DM should be willing to prohibit off screen actions if its not viable for what is in store. DM knows/controls the timing of events and a PC wander off-screen and missing those events is a concern. If, as DM, you are unwilling/unable to ad-hoc "split-screen" events you didn't plan for, prohibit it. If you are willing/able then make sure to cut-scene to the other character, preferably at tense decision points for the now off-screen characters. Switching back and forth the tension is a great technique!

As a player, how would you respond if your DM did this? Is confronting the DM appropriate? Although we did have a Session Zero where people expressed an interest in playing a more strategic game, most players quickly decided that it is impossible to have fun without hitting things.

As a player and DM, I am very forgiving of DMs. Sometimes you have an off night. Sometimes you :):):):) up. Sometimes the on-screen is very fun/rewarding and you simply forget the off-screen. It happens. Confronting a DM is never appropriate. Having a friendly conversation about your concerns is. And yes, sometimes the other players are annoying. Play nice.

Is my indignation justified? At this point I am seriously considering quitting the game. I can understand and accept a plan failing if it has a fatal flaw or if the dice don't allow it. If there is a missing piece of information that causes it to fail that is fine too. But when a player makes a decent plan (was it a decent plan?) based on invested time researching, their class features specific to the situation, and knowledge of game world politics, is it reasonable to expect it to at the least take place at some time during the session instead of being shunted to the side?

Your indignation is not justified based on a single bad (for you) night. Unless you are being hyperbolic and simply mean frustrated. Frustration is a valid emotion and you don't need to suppress your feelings. You need to find a constructive way to deal with those emotions. Quitting the game may be necessary, but that seems destructive not constructive. It may be necessary if its a pattern with this group, but based on one nights game, quitting isn't the answer.

To quote the movie Cool Hand Luke: "What we have here is a failure, to communicate".

Savevsdeath

First Post
This is bad DM'ing, mostly due to laziness on the DM's part. You mean to tell me that he couldn't spare you even a few moments to give you an interesting and relevant encounter, or think of anything else that you could have done during this time? Then he basically told you to shut up for three hours? I would've been gone after thirty minutes. If I'm not having fun, then I'm not gonna bother, period and the end. Did you even get to save the day after the rest of the party stupidly got themselves killed? The moral of this story is: don't pay with douchebags, and ignore that elitist crap the other posters said. Maybe DM yourself, and show them how it should be done.

Last edited:

GameOgre

Adventurer
Shake it off man, You gambled and lost. It's no big deal. You assumed all over the place and paid the price for it. Once I did the same thing and wanted to run back to town and grab a item I had left behind. Had to abandon that character and make another as before I could make it back the entire party took off in the wilds outside of Waterdeep in a fragging Spelljammer! My next character was a Griff for Gods sake! Who could have called THAT?

Don't split the Party!

I didn't explain the distances and time properly in my first post. The castle I was headed to is in a forest roughly 25 miles north of the town. We came across the orcs at around 2pm, roughly 30 miles NE of town and 20 miles ESE of the castle. All of us were mounted, so I made it to the castle in 4 hours (6pm), spent an hour talking to the leader (7pm), Long Rest because I'm up to nine hours travelled already (3am), four hour ride to town (7am/dawn). The orcs, I assumed, would reach the town around 10pm at a fast pace and on foot. If the fortified town would fall in nine hours then the presence of a single extra fighter would have likely made little difference overall.

If you want to be included then don't exclude yourself. How many PC's are there in your group? If there are 4 and the session is about 4 hours long then going off alone should get you roughly and hour of play time and three for the group. That is how I handle split groups. Equal time for all players. Anyone wanting more than their fair share of time can suck it.

You were aware that rest of the party was heading to a place that was about to be ATTACKED. Combat is not only likely but pretty certain and a large one eats up a lot of table time. The DM PM'd you an encounter for the road but you chose to avoid the encounter and keep moving, which is a completely valid play choice. Being away from the group AND turning down an offered opportunity to participate means yes, you will be sitting and twiddling your thumbs for a while. Learn from that.

DEFCON 1

Legend
Supporter
If I had to make a guess, I'd say the DM might not have had any idea of how long "mass combat" was going to take. I know the once or twice I've done city sieges and the like... any thoughts of how long the battle was going to go were grossly incorrect. So the DM might not have originally thought the battle was going to take as long as it did. Yeah, you ended up sitting on the sidelines for longer than you expected, but it was probably longer than the DM expected as well. But once the fight was on... retconning your arrival might not have made sense?

Does it suck to have to sit there while the others fight? Sure. But you *did* get to do all of the stuff you wanted to do first, so it's not like you just showed up to the session and sat on your hands. Could the DM have perhaps gone back and forth between your stuff and the battle itself, thereby keeping both sides active throughout the course of the night? Maybe. But depending on what/when you were doing stuff in the timeline, maybe not?

But I can't necessarily fault the DM for trying to service both groups as much as possible. And as you say in your last post, the random encounter rolls seem to be what triggered the orc invasion so it's not like he was even purposely trying to screw you over to have the attack exactly when you weren't there. Part of DMing is having to make split-second improvisations that we did not plan for... so we have no way of knowing what the consequences of those improvised actions are going to be. In this case... it was that a fight that might not have been planned to have occurred, took longer than what was originally expected, without a party participant that was unknown to be missing from the battle at the start of the session. It's only now with hindsight can we see that the improvisations he did to create the encounter the dice set up for him were going to result in the dissatisfaction that it did. And that's the thing about improvisation-- 10% of the time will be the greatest scene you've ever seen... 80% will be completely fine and adequate... and 10% will really suck. This was that 1 out of 10 times for you that it was the latter.

Now that being said... if you want to quit the game because this is just one of many things you have a problem with... you do what you feel is best. But speaking as a DM, I'd see this whole thing as mainly just a learning experience for both the DM and for you, and put it in the rear-view mirror. The odds of something like this happening again seem small (because you will probably think twice about putting yourself in this kind of solo situation again, and the DM will think twice about going forth with a big "set piece" encounter when not everyone at the table is prepared to participate.)

Live and learn is what I'd take from this night.

Last edited:

Remove ads