Digital Telivision Conversion: Ready Yet?

drothgery

First Post
Considering that if you aren't ready, then all of the following is true
1 - You don't get have cable TV
2 - You don't get satellite TV
3 - You don't IP television (most notably AT&T UVerse)

AND either
1 - You live in one of the few areas where you could get analog TV over the air, but not digital TV
OR
2 - You don't have a digital-ready TV (when all new TVs have been required to be digital-ready for a few years now) AND you don't have a $50 converter box

And considering that dire warnings have been all of the airwaves for the last six months or so... well, the only people I have any sympathy for are those who could get analaog TV over the air, but not digital.

frankthedm

First Post
[pumps shotgun]
:rant: get'cher DTV off mah airwaves and outa mah brain! :rant:
[/fires shotgun]

The transition is going to give ConCa$h Cable another excuse to increase the rapes ...err rates.

Last edited:

EricNoah

Adventurer
I'm ready. I am one of those people who does not have cable/satellite or a newer TV. But I did get one of those converter boxes and it's working fine at bringing in the "air digital" channels.

One challenge was arranging my VCR/DVD recorder so it could record from the converter box. Because my VCR/DVD does not have its own digital tuner, I'm using the "line in" to bring in the digital signal, then passing it on to the TV. If I want to record, I actually have to tune the converter box to the right channel and leave it on, then set the recorder to record the "line in" channel at whatever time. If I wanted to tape two different programs on different channels in one night and I wasn't there to manually change the channel on the converter box, I would be out of luck. Fortunately with so much available online, there's really only one program I might need to record each week.

Shabe

First Post
My TV accepts a digital signal, just that we don't get a good enough signal, being in England's second city is apparently not good enough.

Using a small powered ariel, not a roof top one.

So no I don't think I'm ready, unless turning off analogue miraculously makes the signal better.

Ranger REG

Explorer
I'm ready. I am one of those people who does not have cable/satellite or a newer TV. But I did get one of those converter boxes and it's working fine at bringing in the "air digital" channels.

One challenge was arranging my VCR/DVD recorder so it could record from the converter box. Because my VCR/DVD does not have its own digital tuner, I'm using the "line in" to bring in the digital signal, then passing it on to the TV. If I want to record, I actually have to tune the converter box to the right channel and leave it on, then set the recorder to record the "line in" channel at whatever time. If I wanted to tape two different programs on different channels in one night and I wasn't there to manually change the channel on the converter box, I would be out of luck. Fortunately with so much available online, there's really only one program I might need to record each week.
Despite having converted to digital, I rarely used my VCR these days, since I find most of my favorite shows' full episodes on respective network web sites, if not on Hulu.com.

I'll probably will pick up a DVD recorder with digital (ATSC) tuner later this year. Maybe pick up a HDTV with only the digital tuner (minus the analog tuner component so it should cost less than earlier models).

Sighs. The only reason Hawaii made the switch early is because of some stupid birds. Honestly, I can deal with one less indigenous species for better picture especially during emergency.

Remove ads