Dilemma: Quiver of Ehlonna or Heward's Handy Haversack?

Bobbystopholes

First Post
I can only have one at the moment, but will eventually have both.

I have a 6th level Cleric/Ranger and have about 2600gp to burn through. I want to spend it. This particular game worries about encumbrance, so these two items pop out at me.

He is a cleric of Mayaheine with a 15 strength (66lbs light load) and carries two bastard swords and uses a mighty composite long bow with Rapid Shot and such. I wanna keep my encumbrance light for the movement.

Out of these two which would be the best, and why. Is there a better item for 2600gp for this kind of character?

Thanks for any help.

kreynolds

First Post
Take the haversack, and if you must, put a bundle of quivers in it. Granted, it may take some time to replace an empty quiver on your back, but you can at least grab a fresh one as a free action. :)

kreynolds

First Post
Bobbystopholes said:
Is there a better item for 2600gp for this kind of character?

A ring of sustenance (sp?) is only 2,500gp. You don't need to eat or drink and you only need 2 hours of rest to gain the benefits of a full 8 hours of rest. At least you won't have to carry around rations or water. :)

Dr. Zoom

First Post
HHH is a little more versatile and can hold more or bigger things. It always weighs just 5 pounds. I would choose it over a Quiver of Ehlonna. Unless you just want a place to store arrows, wands, spears, staffs, etc.

Bobbystopholes

First Post
This is for Living Greyhawk and you don't have to worry about food and such. In 4 hours, the modules pay little mind to things like that ;) Regular arrows, torches, and rations are relatively free. So, I need to figure out how to carry my (2) Bastard swords, Net, gobs of alchemist's fire, tanglefoot bags and such, potions, scrolls, etc.

In my home game, the ring of sustenance will be the best thing. I'll probably pick that up very soon.

The sack looks the best for the rope, etc. but the quiver is great for weapons like long spears and grabbing my magic arrows more easily... what to do!

Don't you hate when you have money and it burns a hole in your pocket ;)

FANGO

First Post
Don't forget (as was pointed out to me just recently), that it only takes a free action to get anything from an HHH, according to the DMG errata. So you could maybe put arrows in there or something, and still get them as a free action, so it sort of acts like a quiver anyway (of course, if you worry about that whole piercing the thing from inside rule that some people seem to like using, then I guess this would be a little harder...)

anyway, I like HHHs a lot, so that's where my vote goes (unless you have TONS of really heavy things that look like spears, wands etc.)...I think the quiver is more a cosmetic thing, and HHH more for utility...so if you have only a little to spend, I would spend it on the HHH first and the quiver later.

Bobbystopholes

First Post
Wow! I forgot to check the errata! That free action thing totally sold me! Sweet!

Thanks for the input!

As far as the piercing thing, I know the bag of holding says that, but the HHH doesn't. It says that, "...each (compartment) is like a bag of holding...", not works exactly like a bag of holding. The backpack is hardened leather, unlike the bag, and should hold sharper things (probably not loose arrows though, but who knows how tough the leather is!)

Oh man, I'm starting to get as literal as others on this board... NOOOO!!! ;)

Remove ads