• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Dinopriminals and Phantasy Prehistorium (Nym/Omarka)

xidoraven said:
Not that I am arguing because I think it is helpful and very balanced, but what prompted True Seeing as a Su ability - or really at all? I would love to know what thoughts caused that to be a final choice.
It's (Su) because I copied it directly from the avoral. I look at the other guardinals for inspiration on abilities and spells.

I had also been considering other spell-like abilities, but i was afraid I was giving it too many.

xidoraven said:
"+10 acting in character"? Why and where from? If it is racial, it is not listed in racial skills yet. Perhaps a synergy from a Profession? None is listed. Is it from at-will disguise self?
That's synergy from Bluff I believe.

Please give me a while to process all your critique-ing before I can create a more detailed response, edit the existing creatures, and start posting new dinopriminals.

xidoraven

Explorer
Not even a problem - I was inspired to review today. Take your time. I am no taskmaster, I swear. ;)

I do have one other question for you: if I attempt to put together a publication about Nym / Prehistoria / and the Dinopriminals, would you have any concerns, considerations, or questions about it? It would be totally independent (since I can put together whole publications with images - which I can make - and everything, in MS Word and formatted in Adobe InDesign, which I can then put through a self-publishing printer like authorhouse.com, etc.) Before anything like this happens, I would make a similar posting to get the input of the other ENWorlders, Wizards forum members, and Mark Goodwin (Bathos Beastiary) to make sure no one would get on me about "stealing" their content.... I just want to put together a decent, player-made campaign setting that is something I have been working on for years and just decided it would be worth it to go for the gusto and ask questions when it is nearly completed.

I would make mention of helpful names/people, and make a point of saying that it couldn't be done without the help of many talented players and creators on the web, and give links to all the major web resources currently being used to post content like this.... The physical publication would feature campaign setting content that would not be openly viewable everywhere on the web (hence and incentive to get it) and I would most certainly make a pdf version available to anyone who wanted it when it was complete..... This is just a plan right now, but it gets closer and closer to fruition with every statistic of something prehistoric. I would probably publish under the name of xidoraven studios, since it is my business moniker and current doing-business-as title for my creative works, including websites, graphics media, and a potential billboard design ad campaign for the Detroit area for HIV/AIDS awareness and education (I pray I get that job).

I don't have any real concerns about you using my work in a publication as long as I'm credited and I keep rights to any of my intellectual property.

Well here's my responses to your responses:

I'm OK with giving the sabrenal one more Hit Die, better ability scores, and some more spells, but I'm not too sure about giving it hold animal or soften earth and stone. Why did you suggest soften earth and stone?
I didn't give it Sigilry skill bonuses because I gave it full ranks in the Sigilry skills. Would you like it if I gave it a +4 bonus to Craft (sigils) and Knowledge (Nymian sigilry), and shifted 2 skill points from each into Handle Animal?
Can I see the sigil feats before I add them?

I'm fine with everything you've suggested for the Coelodal, except the touch of weakened evils. If we boost its Hit Dice I'd boost it to 4 HD.

I had originally conceived of the Pterinal as looking like a Pteranodon with opposable thumbs, but I had changed my mind because I envisioned all the dinopriminals as humanoid or semi-humanoid. I suppose a non-humanoid Pterinal could be workable.
I'm fine with the feat changes. What would you suggest in place of Multiattack?

xidoraven

Explorer
Very good. I also see Pterinal still has Multiattack, and after considering it once more: if taking a sigilry feat instead of any other more fitting feat, it would be either Fast Scriber [General] or Imbue Sigil [Item Creation]. I think the final prereqs on the latter one will be very easy for the creature to meet (Con 12, Int 11, Cha 14, Art of Sigilry), and the former's prereqs are: Dex 13, Int 13, Concentration 4 ranks, Art of Sigilry. I think it should meet them all perfectly fine as is.

Any dinopriminals you know you don't want to have a hand at anytime soon (it will give me a better idea of my next priority creature)? Even one or two that simply doesn't inspire you? Also, I have a write-up in draft for a Seraphim that I am gonna want to have reviewed... Would that be totally out of place here? I know this is a prehistoric thread and not an angelic thread, but they are in the same campaign setting and I am mid-stats for it atm. I am still no good at guessing CRs and LAs... :/

Sivanal is totally not right, but I am seeing too many nitpicks about it to do them all right now... How lazy is that? :p Going camping this weekend, so might not get much done on here, but more on paper.

Remove ads