• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Dire Animal Redux Part II.

Krishnath

First Post
I just remembered that I never finished my old Dire Animal thread before my absence, so in this thread I am going to continue what I started, and I will eventually cover a few dire animals you wouldn't expect to see. And besides, why should Erica have all the fun ;)

I will post one or two dire animals per week, starting with the Dire Raven now, and followed by the Dire Squirrel this weekend (hopefully).

Anyway, onwards to the Dire Raven!

----------

Dire Raven
Small Animal
Hit Dice:
1d8+1 (5 hp)
Initiative: +3 (Dex)
Speed: 10’ (2 squares), Fly 60’ (average)
Armor Class: 15 (+1 Size, +3 Dex, +1 natural); touch 14, flat-footed 12,
Base Attack/Grapple: +0/-5
Attack: Claw +3 melee (1d6-1)
Full Attack: 2 Claws +3 melee (1d6-1) and bite –2 melee (1d4-1)
Space/Reach: 5’/5’
Special Attacks: Blinding strike,
Special Qualities: Low-light vision, Disease resistance, Scent,
Saves: Fort +3 (+7 against diseases), Ref +5, Will +4,
Abilities: Str 8, Dex 17, Con 13, Int 2, Wis 15, Cha 8,
Skills: Listen +4, Spot +4
Feats: Weapon Finesse
Enviroment: Any forest, hills, plains, and mountains
Organization: Solitary or unkindness (5-12)
Challenge Rating: 1/2
Alignment: Usually neutral
Treasure: None
Advancement: 2-3HD (Small)

Dire ravens resembles oversized ravens with black feathers and glowing red eyes.
Domesticated dire ravens often learn the language of their masters.
A wizard or sorcerer with the Improved Familiar feat can get a dire raven as a familiar, provided that the arcane spellcaster is of at least 5th level.
A dire raven can be summoned by Summon Natures Ally II.

Combat:
Dire ravens fight much like their lesser kin, but are far more aggressive.
Blinding Strike (Ex): A dire raven that scores a critical hit with it’s bite attack permanently blinds their opponents. For the effects of blindness, see the DMG page 300. Wearing a helmet automatically protects against this attack.
Disease Resistance (Ex): A dire raven gets a +4 racial bonus on saves against diseases.

----------

And as always, comments and critizism is appreciated. :D

Krishnath

First Post
What no comments? I feel rejected

:(

Anyway, here's the updated Dire Squirrel!

----------

Dire Squirrel
Tiny Animal
Hit Dice:
1d8 (4 hp)
Initiative: +3 (Dex)
Speed: 30’, Climb 30’
Armor Class: 16 (+2 size, +3 Dex, +1 natural)
Base Attack: +0/-5
Attack: Bite +4 melee (1d4-1)
Full Attack: Bite +4 melee (1d4-1)
Space/Reach: 2½’/0’
Special Attacks: -
Special Qualities: Low-light vision, Scent,
Saves: Fort +2, Ref +5, Will +3
Abilities: Str 8, Dex 16, Con 11, Int 2, Wis 14, Cha 6
Skills: Climb +12 (+8), Hide +17 (+14), Listen +3, Move Silently +10 (+6), Spot +3,
Feats: Stealthy, Weapon Finesse: Bite (B),
Environment: Any forest
Organization: Solitary, pair, pack (5-8), or avalanche (50-80)
Challenge Rating: 1/4
Treasure: None
Alignment: Always Neutral
Advancement: 2-3HD (Small)

Dire squirrels are larger more aggressive kin to the common squirrel.
Dire squirrels usually have a sandy brown color, but generally range in color, from white as snow to black as night. All dire squirrels can be recogniced for what they are by their larger size, feral look, and two dark stripes, running down their backs.
Dire squirrels are omnivorous and have been known to attack humanoids in large numbers.
A wizard or sorcerer with the Improved Familiar feat can get a dire squirrel as a familiar, provided that the arcane spellcaster is of at least 3rd level.
A dire squirrel can be summoned by Summon Natures Ally I.

----------

Well, what do you think?

Edit: Fixed feats.

Last edited:

demiurge1138

Inventor of Super-Toast
I don't really see the Improved abilities for that familiar. It's just marginally good at combat. And Weapon Finesse should be a bonus feat (requirement is BAB +1)

Demiurge out.

Krishnath

First Post
demiurge1138 said:
I don't really see the Improved abilities for that familiar. It's just marginally good at combat. And Weapon Finesse should be a bonus feat (requirement is BAB +1)

Demiurge out.
Ack! So it does, and as for improved familiar, trust me, it is more powerful compared to regular familiars. Adding another feat and changing Weapon Finesse to bonus.

Boz: Nope, nut the nutkin, a nutkin is a anthropomorphed version of this creature though... ;)

Remove ads