• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Discussing Draedens

Shade

Monster Junkie
Erik Mona said:
They sounded like draedens to me, too. i was thinking specifically of that reference when I wrote the bit about Ulgurshek being curious about the fates of others of his kind.

Planescape once again delivers the recipe for cool, and Erik meshes it into the classic material to make a tasty modern dish. :cool:

Ripzerai

Explorer
Module IM3: The Best of Intentions, by Ken Rolston, describes a demiplane called Draedenden, a void filled with barely detectable warmth. Five ten kilometer maggots hover in the vacuum, with skin wrinkled like a brain. The immortal Mazikeen believes them to be larval draedens, but isn't entirely sure.

The same module describes Thoke, a plane that's been almost entirely destroyed by draedens, presumedly because its inhabitants posessed knowledge that somehow threatened them.

paradox42

First Post
Kafkonia said:
You may not be able to ascribe our concepts of procreation to something that alien. Look at some alternate methods of creation -- dust bunnies don't reproduce, each one accretes slowly, not unlike pearls or stalactites.
I wasn't, really; I said "one or more" Draedens, which doesn't mean a male and female got together and made a Neth-egg. :) I figure, actually, that it makes more sense for them to do something along the lines of budding (like polyps undersea in our world), or maybe one of the methods requiring three or more genders to create offspring. OTOH, Draedens may literally make their "offspring" by building them from raw materials, or even by simply setting a "seed" in place somewhere and letting it slowly accrete matter (as in your example) to eventually achieve life. The only requirement for Neth to be a child of the Draedens is that one or more Draedens took action (consciously or otherwise) to start the process of making it.

Of course, if you're suggesting that adult Draeden intervention is not necessary at all to make a baby Draeden, that means they can spontaneously arise out of the substrate of the multiverse itself, and are more accurately thought of as literal "children of the multiverse" or even some vital function of its existence. That, of course, raises interesting questions and thoughts of its own.

Ripzerai said:
Module IM3: The Best of Intentions, by Ken Rolston, describes a demiplane called Draedenden, a void filled with barely detectable warmth. Five ten kilometer maggots hover in the vacuum, with skin wrinkled like a brain. The immortal Mazikeen believes them to be larval draedens, but isn't entirely sure.

The same module describes Thoke, a plane that's been almost entirely destroyed by draedens, presumedly because its inhabitants posessed knowledge that somehow threatened them.
That's enough to sell me on the ESD. :) Only $4.95 at RPGNow- can't really go wrong there!

And as a side note to that, RPGNow also has an ESD download of the gold-box Immortals Rules set, along with the other two Immortal-level adventures released for Basic D&D, in their ESD section. For those who are interested in checking these out and don't have original paper copies.

Last edited:

Shade

Monster Junkie
paradox42 said:
Of course, if you're suggesting that adult Draeden intervention is not necessary at all to make a baby Draeden, that means they can spontaneously arise out of the substrate of the multiverse itself, and are more accurately thought of as literal "children of the multiverse" or even some vital function of its existence. That, of course, raises interesting questions and thoughts of its own.

I thought draedens were made out of clay. :p

(I know, I know..Bad Shade, no biscuit.)

Kafkonia

First Post
paradox42 said:

That's more of the line of thought I was following. That draedens develop out of existence directly, rather than from any sort of progenitor -- be it sexual coupling, seed planting, or factory manufacture. :)

I like that idea because it makes them even further removed from our comprehension.

paradox42

First Post
Shade said:
I thought draedens were made out of clay. :p

(I know, I know..Bad Shade, no biscuit.)
If I were Jewish, I would have to slap you with a fish now. :) But since I'm not, I leave that up to other ENWorlders.

But that brings up another point- how exactly do you pronounce "Draeden?" Is it "dray-den," rhyming with clay, or is it "dry-den" rhyming with fly? I've always pronounced it the second way, but I've never seen official word on how it's supposed to be pronounced. The word's like "drow," apparently...

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads