• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Discussing fighters (forked from martial power)

Larrin

Entropic Good
I think, in the end, the fighter class is pretty non-synergetic with ranged combat. Its whole philosophy of stickiness, opportunity attacks, etc just don't seem like they'd work at all at range. You could write some fixes, but in the end you'll end up with a different class. I think thats the conclusion that should be reached. If you want a ranged (either archery or heavy thrown) heavy armored brute, you need a new class for it (If you want a ranged light armored striker....well why re-invent the ranger when you already have it). I Think that a tank like hurler of some sort would be a great 5 martial class. Give it a smattering of STR based mellee OR thrown (like sly flourish, one power lets you smack with an axe at adjacent or ranged enemies), some brutal close range archery things for crossbow/longbow builds, marking abilities that give you potshots at easy targets or ones that harrass your friends. Heavy armor, defender hitpoints Its not something you could recreate with a fighter OR ranger...its different enough for its own class. (maybe if we're lucky its called a warden ;) )

Basically, 4e is not going to be able to warp fighters into ranged fighters, its not the way they work. Either multiclass (and have good dex) or work on a new class. Or twist a ranger until he fits your dream.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads