• Welcome to this new upgrade of the site. We are now on a totally different software platform. Many things will be different, and bugs are expected. Certain areas (like downloads and reviews) will take longer to import. As always, please use the Meta Forum for site queries or bug reports. Note that we (the mods and admins) are also learning the new software.
  • The RSS feed for the news page has changed. Use this link. The old one displays the forums, not the news.

4E Discussion: Character Portraits & Requests

Fragsie

Villager
Hey everyone, I was putting together a portrait for my new character (I hit level 2 very soon :lol:), and was reminded how much fun I have doing photoshop mods. A while back I spent a lot of time helping people out on the What do YOU think MY character looks like thread over on the WotC boards and I would like to help out people here in the same way.

If there are any guys out there in L4W that also have some photoshop skills and would like to help out; great :cool:, Or if anyone wants to show off portraits they've done themselves; get some nice comments or critique.

If you want to make a request, it helps if you can give me an image to start from, then let me know what changes you want and i'll see what i can do for ya!;)

Here is the mod i did for my first L4W character; Cheysuli Sage a Tiefling Feylock
[sblock=Original]
by OchreJelly - Deviant Art[/sblock]
[sblock=Finished Portrait]
[/sblock]
And my new character; Psais a Deva Invoker (MC: Shaman)
[sblock=Original Image]
by JinxedKitten - Deviant Art[/sblock]
[sblock=Finished Portrait]
[/sblock]

Last edited:

CaBaNa

Villager
Nifty!

I'll shoot you an image tonight. I've got the perfect shot to start from, but it's on my girlfriend's camera.

That deva invoker looks spectacular! Psais even has a better bird!

Well done.

Last edited:

Kalidrev

Villager
I'd love to get a portrait of Crag going! The base picture is attached below. If you could make the warforged chassis all rocky/pebbly, and earthy, get rid of the spiked chain and make it a longsword, and make the shield more earthen looking that would be awesome. If you could also somehow blend the ground with his feet so that it looked like earth was flowing upwards onto him, that would rock!

Attachments

Theroc

Villager
Well, I have absolutely no photoshop skills, but a portait of Rujah would be pretty awesome. My google-fu sucks, so finding a base image hasn't gone too well. Seems Dragonborn do not have any love of one handed hammers. Or hide-armor.

I'm not sure how skilled you are at photoshop or how difficult my request will be, but I'll throw it up anyway.

http://th07.deviantart.net/fs42/300W/f/2009/138/a/5/Dragonborn_Paladin_Kosh_by_charreed.jpg

If you could remove the magical-glowy effect from the hammer, make the dragonborn's skin color more of a forest green, and make the armor appear more like hide rather than plate, that'd be awesome. Also, making the shield appear like particularly thick hide rather than metal. If possible, the addition of a tail would be wonderful.

If this is not possible with a Dragonborn(adding a tail might be very difficult as opposed to removing one), I could likely try looking up Lizardfolk rather than a Dragonborn for an image.

Thanks for your time, it's much appreciated.

Kalidrev

Villager
Spiked chain?? the warforged in that picture is wielding a flail
Heh, I guess that would be a flail, wouldn't it? I never pictured a flail being THAT long, but I guess the fact that the Juggernaut is wielding it one handed should have given me a clue. I just saw it as a long chain with a bunch of spikes and thought "spiked chain"... now that I look at it again... I agree... totally a spiked flail cause there is a handle on one end.

Fragsie

Villager
I'd love to get a portrait of Crag going! The base picture is attached below. If you could make the warforged chassis all rocky/pebbly, and earthy, get rid of the spiked chain and make it a longsword, and make the shield more earthen looking that would be awesome. If you could also somehow blend the ground with his feet so that it looked like earth was flowing upwards onto him, that would rock!
That does sound like it would look awesome; I'll see what I can do, but i'm not as good as some :p
Making the armour into hide would be quite hard work i think, I'll give it a go, but i may have better result modding a picture of a different class dragonborn in hide. I'll see what i can find.

Theroc

Villager
Making the armour into hide would be quite hard work i think, I'll give it a go, but i may have better result modding a picture of a different class dragonborn in hide. I'll see what i can find.
Hm... I would have thought creating a tail would have been more difficult than modifying the armor, but honestly, whatever works for you should be fine. ;) Your other pics seemed pretty darn cool.

CaBaNa

Villager
Kamotz is a shifter (first generation), he looks stuck immediately in between shifting. The picture attached is "when he is using longtooth shifting".

He is a cleric of Death, using a triple headed flail. His sheet is in my sig, and this is copied from there;

Kamotz resembles his Shifter heritage in face and body, silver gray hair adorning his skin. He wears a dark ashen robe with smoky pink accent, when the hood is up his heritage is hard to notice.

Under the robe he wears a cruddy old scale mail wrested from an undead body in Bacarte. The smell of old death therefore clings to Kamotz, and he finds it comforting. The mail is quieted by his robes, however that doesn't stop it from making an unfortunate amount of noise at the worst times possible.

Strapped to his back are two javelins. On the other shoulder rests a scythe that seems well worn, and not by farm work, with dried blood still streaking the handle and blade. At his waist hangs a Triple-headed Flail, shiny and brand new.

Between the javelins and scythe rest a shoddy slingback pack, that snakes around his shoulder and ties in the front of him. Carrying rope for hangings, as well as parts of his climbing gear.

Inside his robes are a number of sewn pouches containing ground bone, ink, paper, feathers, mystic salves, and adventuring supplies. Creating a more pungent odor of death.

END COPY/PASTE

The picture doesn't really have much of that stuff.

Really, I'm just impressed enough with your work above that I'd like to see what you could do with creative license. So go wild, I can always rework the description, because he is a living character.

Thanks for the offer, it seems to have gotten very popular very quickly!

Use either picture that suits your fancy, thanks!

[sblock=Base picture]

[/sblock]

[sblock=Other Possible Base]

[/sblock]

Fragsie

Villager
How are you guys uploading these pictures? I can never get it to work.
There are a number of ways, the quickest, if the pic you wanna show is already online is to grab the url of the picture (get this from right-click menu on some browsers, on others you'll have to open the image in its own page/tab then copy the url) then place it between ['img] ### ['/img] (without the apostrophes). The other is to get an account with a picture hosting site like photobucket or flickr, then copy the code across from there. If you want the picture to be in an attachment or on your character sheet then you have to upload the file to the wiki.

I've nearly finished Crag; just scouting for a good looking sword for him;)

Fragsie

Villager
Here ya go Kalidrev. I had fun doin the feet, the swords not perfect, but if you find a better one (more in the right perspective) let me know and i'll swap em over ;)
[sblock=Original]
[/sblock]
[sblock=Finished Portrait of Crag]
[/sblock]
Theroc, If either of the following pic will do you (but with dragonborn heads, hand and feet) let me know; I'll prob have some time for yours tomorrow evening.
[sblock=Suggestions for Rujah]

[/sblock]
Personaly, I think the second on would work best (body shape, shield already present etc), I can change the mood of the pic with colour and some effects quite easily if you don't want it so... Fluffy:p

Voda Vosa

Villager
Well, I'm begining to learn how to use photoshop for my characters. I have a deviantArt page, if you want to check out. I'm just begining to put color and background to my pencil draws. Tell me what you think:
Original

Work in progress:

The link to my deviantart page is on the blue image of my signature. If you have sketches I could try to color them. Will use the training!

Last edited:

Kalidrev

Villager
Awesome work on Crag, Fragsie! Is there any way you could make Crag's shield look like it was shaped out of stone/earth rather than being metal? I love the feet, that looks AWESOME! Would it be hard to add that same effect to his hands/arms or even the rest of his body?

Advertisement