(Discussion) Enworld Physics and World Concept

Lichtenhart

First Post
ehm, CS, If I shouldn't have posted here feel free to delete this post, but anyway...

it may be unnecessary realism, but if the sun that lights Enworld describes a fixed path in the sky it means that Enworld's axis isn't tilting like the Earth's one, and there are no seasons. Would you prefer the sun to pass straight over the elemental towers every day or only in some special date (e.g. equinoxes) ?

Last edited by a moderator:

Velmont

First Post
You reasoning is right, but there can still be season. To have some season, it would need that ENWorld planet rotate on an ellipsoid path around a point not center on the sun. If that happen, there can easily be season:

.......@@D@@
...@..............@
A......O............C
...@..............@
.......@@B@@

If O is the sun, when ENWorld is at A, it is summer, B fall, C winter and D spring. Now that's the scientific argument. Now, if you are in a fantastic world, you just need a God who tell "I want to have four season." and we have 4 season :)

Pyrex

First Post
Velmont said:
.......@@D@@
...@..............@
A......O............C
...@..............@
.......@@B@@

Eh? I freely admit to not being an astronomer, but I'm fairly certain that an elliptical orbit like can't be stable. ENWorld would spiral into the sun.
Better have your 'Protection from Fire' spell handy. :D

Graf

Explorer
Kind of on topic, kind of not but...

Do most people think the world is round? Flat? That the central planet isn't the center of the universe?

Creamsteak

Explorer
Gary, Uriel, got any creative propositions about that question? Otherwise I'll field it with a, "The world itself is round, but the sun and moons circle it"...

garyh

First Post
creamsteak said:
Gary, Uriel, got any creative propositions about that question? Otherwise I'll field it with a, "The world itself is round, but the sun and moons circle it"...

Enworld travels on the back of a giant elephant named Enworphant, which marches through the cosmos. The sun and moon are birds that accompany Enworphant on his journey. The stars are brightmoths, insects that are eated by the sunbird.

How's that? :)

Last edited:

Creamsteak

Explorer
garyh said:
Enworld travels on the back of a giant elephant named Enworphant, which marches through the cosmos. The sun and moon are birds that accompany Enworphant on his journey. The stars are brightmoths, insects that are eated by the sunbird.

How's that? :)
Very humerous. Actually, isn't there a writer that has a world called Discworld somewhere? I remember reading a book called "The Last Heroes" by him... hilarious...

Uriel

Living EN World Judge
Terry Pratchett, the funniest man alive (well, OK, along with some of the 'Pythoners') Anyways, that concept came from actual Mythologies, the whole turtles/elephants thing...which makes it all the more funny...

Last edited:

garyh

First Post
Glad you guys like it! :) Yeah, I haven't read Pratchett yet, but I once played in a game with a DM who loved him, and the campaign world was on the back of a giant turtle. So, I had some inspiration!

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases