(Discussion) Enworld Physics and World Concept

Macbeth

First Post
I was thinking of posting in this thread, and then I saw the Pratchett refrence, and I HAD to post in this thread. I'v read all of the Dicworld books except Pyramids, and Pratchett is by far one of may favorite authors. Ever.

On the topic of the planet that Enworld is on, my feelings tend to go towards one of these three options mentioned in other posts:

1. F
orget
the Scientific laws, the world is round, and it dosen't wobble, but it has seasons.
2. I actually like the world turtle (Pratchett names it A'Tuin I believe, ours could be called Morrus..hehehe...) Yeah its weird, so others probably don't like it, but I'm fine with it.
3. Divine Seasons. If we don't want to start messing with the laws of physics, just say one of the gods (Verdante would be a good fit) makes the seasons.

Any way, I just had to chime in since Pratchett was mentioned.

Macbeth

First Post
One other thing about Pratchett's Discworld. Discworld actually rests on the backs of 4 elephants, who in turn stand on the turtle. Just a minor thing, but wirth mentioning.
Also, if the physics of a discworld are in question, Pratchett explains having time zones by having very slow moving light due to a strong magic field. I forget the reasoning behind seasons, but he has an explanation for why the planet has seasons.
Hope that helps.

Lichtenhart

First Post
I like Discworld a lot too, but though we can start from that concept, I'd rather we adjust it to our taste and needs.

I'd like an original explanation on how time can flow in a somewhat chaotic way, because that would help us explain, say, why 4 adventurers left for a 4 days adventure and came back 2 weeks later. :)

Another thing that comes to my mind is that we could make it so that when somebody falls over the edge of our 'disc'world, he ends up in an outer plane.

Uriel

Living EN World Judge
Er...are we going with a flat Disc,then?

And Macbeth, Pyramids is one of my favorite Discworld novels, having read them all as well. It explains just why Camels are the smartest animals in the World. Not since 'The Luggage' has there been such a cool companion (The Camel) for a Discworld Protagonist (Sucker is a more apt term, seeing the sorts of 'Adventures' they get into).

Macbeth

First Post
Cool, I like the disc idea. THe info on elephants was just for general knowledge, I wasn't suggesting that we use it.

Uriel, I'm looking forward to reading Pyramids. I actually have it sitting on my bookshelf, I just haven't got around to reading it, what with school work and my new copy of Arcana Unearthed. Have you read Maurice and his Magnificent Educated Rodents (or something like that, I always manage to mangle that title)? Its a slightly more child-oriented Discworld book, and its one of my favorites. He's also got a new kids book out called Wee Free Men, all about the Nac Mac Feegle. I haven't read it yet, but I'm looking forward to it, mostly because the Nac Mac Feegle are great.

Creamsteak

Explorer
Lichtenhart said:
I like Discworld a lot too, but though we can start from that concept, I'd rather we adjust it to our taste and needs.

I'd like an original explanation on how time can flow in a somewhat chaotic way, because that would help us explain, say, why 4 adventurers left for a 4 days adventure and came back 2 weeks later. :)

Another thing that comes to my mind is that we could make it so that when somebody falls over the edge of our 'disc'world, he ends up in an outer plane.
Got anything in mind yet? I remember time functioned in a similar way in the Birthright setting in the elves domain. I'm going to go re-read that passage when I get the chance...

Thels

First Post
Eclypse ain't stable, but you can have a circle with the sun not being in the center so you still have seasons. Of course that makes no sense with a flat world. Perhaps have the sun grow in spring and shrink in autumn?

Personally, I rather have a 3dimensional world than a flat world, but I don't mind all that much.

Pratchett rocks. The only thing coming close to Discworld is Hitchhiker's Guide to the Universe, but unfortunately, the writer died :-( Pyramids is indeed one of the better episodes/

Remove ads