Discussion - General Discussion Thread '08

Rae ArdGaoth

Explorer
Permanent Blindness: The creature is unable to see, it cannot see any distance in any type of lighting. It cannot distinguish color or visual contrast. It cannot read. It is immune to gaze attacks, visual effects, illusions, and other attack forms that rely on sight. A blind-born creature is accustomed to its state and does not suffer other drawbacks of being blind. Effects with an instantaneous or permanent effect that would remove the blindness, short of wish or miracle, fail to do so, but still have their other effects.

RAW, it overcomes everything on that list? :uhoh: Seems wrong to me.

Halford

First Post
As I understand it, the CL listed with magic items is not a prereq to be able to make them, it's just the number to roll against for things like SR and dispel magic and such.

Really? Wow, I hope that's right! I am going to have to look that one up.

Robichaud

Explorer
Permanent Blindness: The creature is unable to see, it cannot see any distance in any type of lighting. It cannot distinguish color or visual contrast. It cannot read. It is immune to gaze attacks, visual effects, illusions, and other attack forms that rely on sight. A blind-born creature is accustomed to its state and does not suffer other drawbacks of being blind. Effects with an instantaneous or permanent effect that would remove the blindness, short of wish or miracle, fail to do so, but still have their other effects.

RAW, it overcomes everything on that list? :uhoh: Seems wrong to me.
Well, I don't know.. if you read the text literally enough, stating "does not suffer other drawbacks of being blind" right after "it cannnot see any distance in any type of lighting" is kind of cold comfort. What are the other drawbacks of being blind? Being obliged to carry a white-and-red stick around?

..I'll get my coat.

Knight Otu

First Post
-All checks and activities that rely on vision (such as reading and Spot checks) automatically fail.
That one is definitely not overcome:

-All opponents are considered to have total concealment (50% miss chance) to the blinded character.
That one shouldn't be overcome. The opponents are technically invisible to you, but you have other senses to pinpoint them. For what it's worth, the blindsense descriptions seem to agree:
Blindsense (Ex): Using nonvisual senses, such as acute smell or hearing, a creature with blindsense notices things it cannot see. The creature usually does not need to make Spot or Listen checks to pinpoint the location of a creature within range of its blindsense ability, provided that it has line of effect to that creature. Any opponent the creature cannot see still has total concealment against the creature with blindsense, and the creature still has the normal miss chance when attacking foes that have concealment. Visibility still affects the movement of a creature with blindsense. A creature with blindsense is still denied its Dexterity bonus to Armor Class against attacks from creatures it cannot see.

Also see Blindsight and Blindsense under Special Abilities.
-----
Blindsense: Other creatures have blindsense, a lesser ability that lets the creature notice things it cannot see, but without the precision of blindsight. The creature with blindsense usually does not need to make Spot or Listen checks to notice and locate creatures within range of its blindsense ability, provided that it has line of effect to that creature. Any opponent the creature cannot see has total concealment (50% miss chance) against the creature with blindsense, and the blindsensing creature still has the normal miss chance when attacking foes that have concealment. Visibility still affects the movement of a creature with blindsense. A creature with blindsense is still denied its Dexterity bonus to Armor Class against attacks from creatures it cannot see.

Then again, I'm not sure whether a blindborn should lose its Dexterity bonus to AC.

It should definitely overcome these penalties:
-A -2 penalty to Armor Class
-moves at half speed
-takes a -4 penalty on Search checks
-takes a -4 penalty on most Strength- and Dexterity-based skill checks.

I guess a rewrite may be in order for clarity?

BigB

First Post
Can I get approval for Rhys (3rd level) to use 4 DM credits from Rich Beyond Dreams (13 available) http://www.enworld.org/forum/living...-tracking-interface-thread-2.html#post3074236 for experience ( I believe 4 DM Credits at 3rd level gain 400 exp) this would put Rhys at level 4.

Rhys through contemplation meditation and the influence of Eskon has discerned his purpose in this life. He is to be the chosen of Shural and unite goblinkind under Shural's influence taming the chaotic goblins and showing the need for law and civilization. He is to be a shining example to the world of goblinkind.

He has spent his recently won fortune on equipment to aid him in this purpose. Although he now carries the favored weapon of his god, he still keeps his favorite falchion strapped to his back.

After equipping himself he has travelled to goblin territories and challenged the goblin kings to prove Shurals way is the way of true power. He has met with some success with a few goblins establishing a community not far from his childhood home following his leadership and trading with his village - also being closely watched by his village as they do not completely trust these converts as yet.

Last edited:

Halford

First Post
Attention Judges!

Attention Judges! Well, adventure approval judges at any rate. My 9th level adventure proposal is winging its way to you at this very moment through the complex system of tubes that is the internet. Swift approvoal with nothing but accolades for my genius would be greatly appreciated ;).

Players, do you have a 9th-11th level charcter? Are you ready for a tough combat intensive adventure featuring lions and spiders and tigers (oh my!)? Well then you are in luck! I will be starting "The Lion's Second Face" (title subject to change) as soon as it is approved.

Unfortunately, judges are often the ones with the high level PCs who aren't supposed to look at the adventure summary. But don't fear; help is here.

The LEW judges have asked Covaithe and Trouvere to join the august ranks of LEW judges. And they have kindly accepted. Thank you both, for volunteering to help out this board. I'll go update the judges profiles.

Halford if you send your proposal out again to those two, hopefully, they'll be able to give you the feedback you need. You two may have to provide your emails, though...

Remove ads