Discussions re: RPG Theory

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
I was just moderated for threadcrapping ... my own thread. That's ... special. I mean, I can see all sorts of moderation reasons (like not being nice) but threadcrapping the thread that I created? That's new.

I don't know what situation you're referring to specifically, but one doesn't threadcrap a thread; one threadcraps in a thread. Doesn't matter who started the thread; we don't recognize thread ownership. Threadcrapping is an activity directed at the participants, not the thread itself.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
You could try the + thread thing. See how it goes? I mean I don’t know what happened in the thread you’re talking about, so it’s hard to comment.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
There are some times when a collaboration is not at its best when wide open to the entire world. And, unfortunately, we don't have the functionality for threads with limited/curated membership.

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
There are some times when a collaboration is not at its best when wide open to the entire world. And, unfortunately, we don't have the functionality for threads with limited/curated membership.
Yes we do, actually. The conversation system is literally an invite only thread. Only things it lacks are mod access, and polls.

doctorbadwolf

......oh.

Well, about that. I re-introduced that idea to try and have a productive thread about creating a new Leader class (you may know it by another name).

...you can probably guess how that worked. So while I pushed the idea, I don't think + threads are the answer. :(
Speaking as someone who recently had a rather heated falling out with lowkey, the above is absolutely correct.

@lowkey13 I don’t know if you reported them in the marshal thread, but if not maybe that’s the way to go.

also thread ownership should be a thing. We should be able to close our own threads, at the least.

doctorbadwolf

I also want to point out that the general moderation attitude that posters shouldn’t talk about reporting posts, but instead just quietly do so, is a bad position that leads to bad outcomes.

in nearly all contexts, most people don’t report most of what they see that should be reported. But if someone points it out as worth reporting, more people actually pay attention and either lend support, also report, or both. The habit of vocally reporting poor behavior also increases the more general habit of reporting poor behavior.

Otherwise civility trolling, threadcrapping/hijacking and then reporting attempts to tell the trolls to knock it off or leave the conversation, etc, just continue with little recourse.

Remove ads