Discussions re: RPG Theory

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
Forum threads are public conversations. In a public space you don’t get to demand everybody end a conversation just because you started it. Your choice is to walk away from the conversation.
This is...a very bad stance, but I know you don’t change your mind about such things, so I’ll leave it at that.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
I also want to point out that the general moderation attitude that posters shouldn’t talk about reporting posts, but instead just quietly do so, is a bad position that leads to bad outcomes.

With respect... announcing it in thread leads to bad outcomes, for two reasons:

1) "I'm telling Daddy!" does not convince anyone to back the heck off.

2) More importantly, if moderators don't agree that the issue needs moderator action, the reporter now has a severe positioning issue in the thread.

I'm not signing up for being weaponized, and then taking blame when I don't come down on the reporter's side of the question. Sorry.

But if someone points it out as worth reporting, more people actually pay attention and either lend support, also report, or both.

We already look at every single report. Multiple reports of the same issue do not hurt, but they don't help, either.

doctorbadwolf

With respect... announcing it in thread leads to bad outcomes, for two reasons:

1) "I'm telling Daddy!" does not convince anyone to back the heck off.

2) More importantly, if moderators don't agree that the issue needs moderator action, the reporter now has a severe positioning issue in the thread.

I'm not signing up for being weaponized, and then taking blame when I don't come down on the reporter's side of the question. Sorry.

We already look at every single report. Multiple reports of the same issue do not hurt, but they don't help, either.
Damn, man. Really good and cool to see mods talking about reporting in the same terms a schoolyard bully would use. Very encouraging.

point 2 is...just false, IMO. The reporter is in the same position as anyone who points out bad behavior.

The attitude that bad behavior shouldn’t be pointed out is directly contributive to further bad behavior.

doctorbadwolf

Again, as I’ve said in every discussion relating to this topic I’ve ever posted in, an Internet forum is not an in person conversation. Trying to treat it as if it is (“IRL you can’t just close a conversation”, which isn’t even really true) will lead to uneven moderation that favors bad actors over people who just want to have normal discussions without jerks constantly trying to troll and derail them.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
Really good and cool to see mods talking about reporting in the same terms a schoolyard bully would use.

Moderators are for failure cases in human behavior, not successes, so when you ask us to talk about how folks in arguments behave... the language is of people behaving poorly. Go figure.

People in conversations gone awry act rather like they are in a schoolyard squabble. If you find that insulting, I am sorry, but if folks were being empathic, thoughtful, kind and mature all the time, I'd have nothing to do, and be happy for it.

point 2 is...just false, IMO.

Okay. Your opinion is noted.

doctorbadwolf

Moderators are for failure cases in human behavior, not successes, so when you ask us to talk about how folks in arguments behave... the language is of people behaving poorly. Go figure.

People in conversations gone awry act rather like they are in a schoolyard squabble. If you find that insulting, I am sorry, but if folks were being empathic, thoughtful, kind and mature all the time, I'd have nothing to do, and be happy for it.
You’ve misunderstood. You referred to the act of reporting bad behavior in the same way that a bully would. Mocking reporting bad behavior as if it is childish to report bad behavior.

which is...not great.

JiffyPopTart

Bree-Yark
Again, as I’ve said in every discussion relating to this topic I’ve ever posted in, an Internet forum is not an in person conversation. Trying to treat it as if it is (“IRL you can’t just close a conversation”, which isn’t even really true) will lead to uneven moderation that favors bad actors over people who just want to have normal discussions without jerks constantly trying to troll and derail them.
I think you are fighting against basic human nature here. There are tons and tons of people here who can have a nice conversation and even a well thought out debate and not take things personally. Then there are some posters who, it seems to me, clearly have no idea the difference between an opinion and a fact and are incredibly difficult to even have a basic interaction with because it becomes so difficult to communicate. People you want to punch are just part of being on the internet (and the reason I literally NEVER touch the multiplayer content in any videogames).

Oftentimes threads will morph and change into a different topic than that which was originally stated. I think this mirrors exactly how a normal IRL conversation goes. It twists and turns and ends up in a different place than it started. If you allow OPs to close threads (because they are bored, or mad, or for whatever reason) you allow them to shut down a conversation between two or more others that may just be getting started.

But I do also see, in @lowkey13's defense that it would be nice to have a space to link to where you can work on a project (Building a Warlord for 5e for example) and not have to put up with 35 posts saying "But why?" and "Warlords are stupid." and "Just use a bard" every single time you try to start one.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases