• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Disintegrate + Glyph of Warding + Demiplane. HELP WITH POWER GAMER

So I'm running a homebrew campaign 5th edition, and one of my players is a...bit of an optimizer. Long story short, he found a way to deal several THOUSAND damage by way og spell storing a demi plane, lininging the demi plane with disintegrates, and sending people into the space thus triggering all the glyphs.

hejtmane

Explorer
So I'm running a homebrew campaign 5th edition, and one of my players is a...bit of an optimizer. Long story short, he found a way to deal several THOUSAND damage by way og spell storing a demi plane, lininging the demi plane with disintegrates, and sending people into the space thus triggering all the glyphs.
Anti magic field yep have not with that laughs as they charge through

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Caliburn101

Explorer
Hardly power gaming - it is a very costly trap that doesn't force anyone to go inside it... there are easier ways to instakill enemies at high level with elaborate pre-preparation.

Force Cage with level boosted Flaming Sphere cast inside being an easy one. You even get to hear them scream as they burn...

Fanaelialae

Legend
Are you charging him the 200 gp material component per casting of glyph of warding? If he's making 50 glyphs at a time that's 10,000 gp every time he uses this.

Additionally, note that the door to the demiplane must be on a flat, solid surface. It's useless against flying or swimming enemies, or even in an area where the ground isn't sufficiently flat. The door to the demiplane is also medium sized, so it's useless against bigger enemies.

Finally, I assume that he is casting this and then holding it, using his reaction to place the door in front of a moving enemy? I would probably allow the creature a dexterity saving throw to stop short if that is the case.

jaelis

Oh this is where the title goes?
If glyph of warding abuse is genuinely a problem, house rule that you can't have more than one glyph within say 20 ft. If your player objects, fill a room in your dungeon with glyphs of your own and aak again :)

Jaelommiss

First Post
Oh i believe he wishes to plane shift them in.

What's wrong with this? If the victim isn't able to Plane Shift under their own power then he doesn't even need to Disintegrate them. Just leave them there a few days to die of dehydration. Let him waste close to two months, several thousand GP of reagents making needless Glyphs of Warding, and one of his highest level spell slots on that adventuring day. There's still a saving throw involved, and pretty much any legendary monster is going to NOPE away from an offensive Plane Shift.

If it's a problem, add a feature to a monster that lets it turn a spell back on the caster after a successful saving throw. Or, instead of using a single, powerful enemy (something that has been known to fall victim to the action economy for several editions now) use two not-quite-as-powerful-but-still-rather-dangerous enemies. Or four of them. Or thirty of them.

Balance is a numbers game, and the DM has a far larger range of possible numbers than the players ever will.

See, this player is trying to play smart, but he's doing tons more work than he needs to. His plan is to Plane Shift an enemy into a death trap. Foolishly, he believes that he has to create the death trap, as though the multiverse wasn't already filled with them. There are far easier ways to do this. Fighting a demon? Plane Shift it to Mount Celestia. Slaadi? Send it to Mechanus. Dragons, especially firebreathing ones, tend not to do too well under twenty miles of ocean in the Elemental Plane of Water or an equal amount of mountain in the Elemental Plane of Earth. If a player wants to waste his resources for literally no benefit, why not let him?

Oofta

Legend
Maybe I'm missing something but how is he doing this? Demiplane has a duration of 1 hour, it takes 1 hour to cast a glyph of warding (in addition to costing 200 GP).

Assuming he has his own personal demiplane (how?), it's still going to be time consuming. Glyph would have to be cast at 6th level for the Disintegrate. He could only do a couple a day.

In addition Demiplane has to be on a flat solid surface; whether or not it can be moved is open to debate (and was debated in another thread with no real conclusion that I remember). You can always rule that it can't be moved.

EDIT: reread the spell, you can use the same demiplane. :blush: You could get picky and say that a demiplane is not a plane so plane shift doesn't work.

Last edited:

ClaytonCross

Kinder reader Inflection wanted
Your home brewing the campaign according to your first post. The spell says "if the object is moved more than 10 feet from where you cast this spell, the glyph is broken and the spell ends without being triggered." just make it so that the demi plains that he summons drifts slowly in the spaces between plains and as such the glyphs become unstable and fail after 1 hour, so he can still use his creative idea if he has time to prepare and he uses quickly but its limited to his spell slots and with cost as Fanaeliable pointed out. Then if he doesn't use it or pull it off the waste of both will be to painful for him to use most of the time.

Remove ads