Disney Plus could be rebooting Firefly

Well is it?

• I'll be in my bunk (Yes)

Votes: 12 23.1%
  • No

Votes: 29 55.8%
  • Serenity Curry

Votes: 11 21.2%

I'd place Firefly at an equal level of kid-friendliness as the Indiana Jones franchise (Mola Ram could be roughly as traumatizing as Reavers?), and Disney started featuring that in their parks in 1989.
Yeah, the early to mid-80s saw their change from kids only to entertainment empire. Splash! was their first departure when they showed Daryl Hannah's naked butt in a long shot when she walked out of the Hudson Bay. Now that wouldn't even be talking point. But, every iteration has their standards. I think the Fierfly rumor had more traction now than if this had been announced say, 5 years ago? And with Mr Whedon suddenly in the media crosshairs again, it gives Disney some leverage over rights. A case of 'striking while the iron is hot' so to speak.

Aeson

I learned nerd for this.
Yeah, the early to mid-80s saw their change from kids only to entertainment empire. Splash! was their first departure when they showed Daryl Hannah's naked butt in a long shot when she walked out of the Hudson Bay. Now that wouldn't even be talking point. But, every iteration has their standards. I think the Fierfly rumor had more traction now than if this had been announced say, 5 years ago? And with Mr Whedon suddenly in the media crosshairs again, it gives Disney some leverage over rights. A case of 'striking while the iron is hot' so to speak.
On Disney+ they did a piss poor job of trying to cover her butt. They digitally extended her hair.

Dausuul

Legend
I have no love for the SW prequels, but I don't see where that's even relevant to whether or not I ought to love the SW sequels (or Pirates of the Caribbean LXIII or Avengers: Battle for the Galactic Supercluster or any of the rest of it). Can't a lad dislike both?

Some decent writers and many fewer focus groups: that's about all I think it would take.
I actually wish Disney would remake the prequels, because the failings of 1-3 are mirror images of the failings of 7-9.

1-3 had a fantastic, well-thought-out, intricate plot, in service of a sweeping vision; a grand tragedy encompassing the parallel falls of the Republic and of Anakin Skywalker. Unfortunately, that plot was shackled to terrible writing, bad direction, and acting which ranged from "Christopher Lee exerting all his immense talent to breathe some semblance of life into his lines" to "Hayden Christensen mumbling about sand." Then add massive overuse of early CGI, and some cartoonishly offensive ethnic stereotypes thrown in for good measure.

7-9 was solid in all the areas 1-3 fell short. The nuts and bolts were fine. Disney is good at those. But the plot was an incoherent mess and there was no real vision for any of it. (Episode 8 managed part of a vision, but Johnson left it tangled and Abrams chose the Alexander approach to untangling it.)

A remake of the prequels would, at worst, be just another botched Star Wars trilogy... and at best, it would marry Lucas's grand vision to Disney's craftsmanship and make the movies we were all hoping to see when the curtains rose on "Phantom Menace."

...Anyway. As far as Firefly goes, I think it's well named. It flashed for a moment in the dark and now it's gone. The setting wasn't the source of the magic. It couldn't be remade properly without Joss Whedon, and it certainly won't be made with Joss Whedon after recent revelations, so that's that.

Last edited:

I actually wish Disney would remake the prequels, because the failings of 1-3 are mirror images of the failings of 7-9.

1-3 had a fantastic, well-thought-out, intricate plot, in service of a sweeping vision; a grand tragedy encompassing the parallel falls of the Republic and of Anakin Skywalker. Unfortunately, that plot was shackled to terrible writing, bad direction, and acting which ranged from "Christopher Lee exerting all his immense talent to breathe some semblance of life into his lines" to "Hayden Christensen mumbling about sand." Then add massive overuse of early CGI, and some cartoonishly offensive racial stereotypes thrown in for good measure.

7-9 was solid in all the areas 1-3 fell short. The nuts and bolts were fine. Disney is good at those. But the plot was an incoherent mess and there was no real vision for any of it. (Episode 8 managed part of a vision, but Johnson left it tangled and Abrams chose the Alexander approach to untangling it.)

A remake of the prequels would, at worst, be just another botched Star Wars trilogy... and at best, it would marry Lucas's grand vision to Disney's craftsmanship and make the movies we were all hoping to see when the curtains rose on "Phantom Menace."

...Anyway. As far as Firefly goes, I think it's well named. It flashed for a moment in the dark and now it's gone. The setting wasn't the source of the magic. It couldn't be remade properly without Joss Whedon, and it certainly won't be made with Joss Whedon after recent revelations, so that's that.
Wow, THAT, is probably the most well thought out and humble scathing rip I've ever seen. That's an assassin style murder of not one but two franchises. ^5. 🤣🤣🤣

But on a serious note, you have a point.

delericho

Legend
I disagree. I think a remake of the prequels would be likely to lead to a backlash from the 'fandom' so toxic as to leave the entire franchise irradiated and unusable for a 1,000 years.

(And, unfortunately, I'm not sure whether I'm joking or not.)

It's also just great witty writing.

Lets see:

On this episode the crew of Serenity take on a job from a creepy guy called Nishka, to rob a train. The train heist doesn't go as planned, but Mal and Zoey escape by pretending to be a newly wed couple. Inara's respectible status as a compagnion ends up getting them out of trouble. But while there, they learn that they've stolen medical supplies that the people on that planet badly need. Mal has a change of heart, and decides to return the supplies, but makes a powerful enemy in the process.

By golly, is that a plot structure? I think it is! I wish the Mandalorian had a plot structure
You mean, like if he'd taken on a contract to retrieve a wanted bounty for some unpleasant Imperials, things had gone wrong and he'd had to get helped out by the friends he made along the way, but he eventually completed the job only to realise that he'd handed what was essentially a child over to some very nasty people. So he got the child back, but made a powerful enemy in the process.

That kind of plot structure?

Girls, girls, you're both pretty! :p

I enjoyed the Mandallorian and Firefly. They both have their high points and issues, and both were a cut above standard sci-fi fare.

Remove ads