Disney to reboot X-Files (Disney owns an insane amount of Fantasy/Sci Fi IP)

Is it just me or just Disney own an insane amount of IP?

So they are rebooting X-Files. This caught me by surprise. I forgot they own it now.

IP owned by Disney

Marvel
Marvel's Imprints
Pirates of the Caribbean
Treasure Planet
Princess Settings (Aladdin, Little Mermaid, etc...)
Star Wars
Alien
X-Files
Willow
Indiana Jones
Labyrinth
Atlantis
Herbie the Lovebug
Blackboard
Race to Witch Mountain
Tron
The Santa Clause
Planet of the Apes
Pixar Universe
Handmaiden's Tale
The Orville
Splash
Once Upon a Time
The Creator

Did I forget any? (of course I did).

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
I'm not very excited by this.

The X-Files was so good ... because it captured the zeitgeist of its time. It was the '90s, and we were all a little ironic and conspiracy-curious.

Now? Oh no .... I don't need conspiracies on my Tee-Vee, thank you very much.

Wild conspiracy theories used to be fun. But 21st century reality has tarnished them.

pukunui

Legend
Yeah nah. Not interested in a reboot.

That said, this could be an opportunity to give the story (and several of its characters) a better ending and more consistency. I remember Chris Carter saying at the time that they were just making it up as they went along.

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
That said, this could be an opportunity to give the story (and several of its characters) a better ending and more consistency. I remember Chris Carter saying at the time that they were just making it up as they went along.
Honestly, it's almost too late for this. We entered the serialized television era, when even sitcoms had strict serialization, and now have come out the other side again.

cranberry

Adventurer
They extracted every last ounce of interest in the series with 11 seasons and a movie.

There already was an attempt at a reboot a few years ago. I don't think it lasted more than 2 episodes.

Remove ads