Dispel Magic + Extend Spell?

gamecat

Explorer
Being the alpha munchkin of my munch-pack, we duel quite often. Is it possible to extend your dispel magic spell so that my usurper munchkins are now wielding masterwork weapons for more than 1d4 rounds?

If not, i smell a new spell...

Dr. Zoom

First Post
The extend spell feat cannot be applied to spells with an instantaneous duration. Dispel magic has a duration of instantaneous. Therefore, dispel magic cannot be extended.

Crothian

First Post
gamecat said:
Being the alpha munchkin of my munch-pack, we duel quite often. Is it possible to extend your dispel magic spell so that my usurper munchkins are now wielding masterwork weapons for more than 1d4 rounds?

If not, i smell a new spell...

Ya, make it 6th level and max the check at +10. And then havea greater one that is 9th level hat maxes at +20 disple check.

gamecat

Explorer
You are a Lifesaver, Crothian!

Westenberger's Dweomer Dampener
Level: Sor/Wiz 6
Casting Time: 1 action
Components: V, S
Duration: 3 rounds/level

As dispel magic, only with a longer duration and can only be used to suppress magic items.
Verbal Component: you vocalize "Ah-ah-ah!"
Somatic Component: Your right index finger pointed up with your other fingers folded, waved back and forth.

Suck on that, usurping bastards!

bitbug

First Post
Pielorinho said:
Extend might not work -- but I'd think empower would.

Daniel
Empower Spell doesn't apply to caster level checks (see description). Maximize Spell, on the other hand, doesn't have that restriction (unless you rule 0 it and say that Maximize is just a better Empower). Note that, in the rules text, Maximize Spell is not described "as Empower, but better in this way".

Pielorinho

Iron Fist of Pelor
Yeah, it occurred to me that empower and maximize might change the caster level check, but I was too lazy to look it up :D. I do think that both feats would affect the duration that a magic item's powers are suppressed; any clear answers on whether it would affect the caster level check?

Daniel

hong

WotC's bitch
Pielorinho said:
Yeah, it occurred to me that empower and maximize might change the caster level check, but I was too lazy to look it up :D. I do think that both feats would affect the duration that a magic item's powers are suppressed; any clear answers on whether it would affect the caster level check?

Both Empower and Maximise Spell specifically state that they don't affect opposed rolls, and both mention dispel magic as an example of such.

However, we're talking here about the duration of a suppression effect, rather than the initial caster level check. I see no reason why these feats wouldn't be applicable to the duration, which is certainly a "variable, numeric effect".

Remove ads