D&D 5E Dispel Magic & Spellcasting Ability Check

Strider1973

Explorer
Hi everybody! If you try to dispel a 4th level (or higher) spell with dispel magic you have to succesfully pass a spellcasting ability check: do you use your proficiency bonus in this ability check? On one part, the spell description doesn't say anything about it, so maybe you're not supposed to use it, but on the other you're making this ability check as part of a spell you're casting, and you're proficient in casting spells, so...
What am I missing? What is the correct answer, using the RAW?
Many thanks!
Happy Life and Happy gaming!

Dausuul

Legend
Hi everybody! If you try to dispel a 4th level (or higher) spell with dispel magic you have to succesfully pass a spellcasting ability check: do you use your proficiency bonus in this ability check? On one part, the spell description doesn't say anything about it, so maybe you're not supposed to use it, but on the other you're making this ability check as part of a spell you're casting, and you're proficient in casting spells.
There's no such thing as proficiency with casting spells. The spell doesn't say you add your proficiency bonus, so you don't... unless you're a level 10+ abjurer, with the feature that gives you proficiency on these checks.

Last edited:

Henry

Autoexreginated
On the upshot, the target is only 10+spell level, and you can upcast the spell to auto-dispel a spell of higher level.

marcelvdpol

Explorer
A "standard" ability check doesn't add your proficiency modifier. This goes for all ability checks (including initiative roll) unless an ability says otherwise.

Skill checks, saving throws and attack rolls add proficiency only if the character is trained in the skill, saving throw or weapon being used. Otherwise, no proficiency bonus is added.

In the case of Dispell Magic, the roll is d20 + spellcasting ability modifier (depends on class) vs a difficulty of 10 + the level of the spell being dispelled.

neogod22

Explorer
So when attempting to dispell a spell 4th level or higher, you roll a d20 and add either your INT (WIZARD) or CHA (EVERY OTHER ARCANE CASTER) bonus to the roll. The DC is 10+ spell level. If you are an Abjuration Wizard 10th level or higher, you get to add your proficiency modifier to your roll. So a level 20 Abjuror can dispell any spell with a +11 to his roll, while every other caster will struggle with +5 or less not counting magic items.

Sent from my SM-T813 using Tapatalk

neogod22

Explorer
Don't forget things like Guidance and Jack of All Trades will apply to Dispel Magic attempts since it is an ability check.
Wrong, Jack of all Trades only adds to your proficiency bonus and Bards don't get to add that. Guidance, I'm not sure works either because it's a spell's ability check, really it's a spell's resistance, that will definitely be a DM call.

Lanliss

Explorer
Wrong, Jack of all Trades only adds to your proficiency bonus and Bards don't get to add that. Guidance, I'm not sure works either because it's a spell's ability check, really it's a spell's resistance, that will definitely be a DM call.

Jack of all trades specifically says "add half your proficiency to any ability check that does not already add your proficiency bonus." So, if Dispel magic does not include proficiency bonus, it is affected by Jack of all trades.

EDIT: Guidance also does apply, since it works on "Ability Checks", and dispel magic says "Make an ability check"

Last edited:

Remove ads