D&D 5E Disruptive Players Update & Question On Finding Players/Games

Ahriri

First Post
Sorry if update threads aren't a thing. I'm new to the forum. Earlier today I posted about how I was struggling with powerplayers that were being disrespectful and needed help on how to do it. On the advice of many people, I approached them (separately) and tried to talk things through with them. The monk apologized and said that they were being bad players and needed to work on it. The cleric is telling me that "it's just her personality" and that it's unfair to gang up on her when she hasn't done anything wrong (again, I approached them separately and simply told them that the way things were going was stressing me out). I'm debating having one last session since the next session involves a water puzzle and the cleric is a homebrew vampire who takes water damage (what an innocent coincidence).

On a (probably) completely unrelated note, does anyone have any advice on how to find new players or campaigns online to join/set up?

iserith

Magic Wordsmith
If you're using Roll20, it's pretty easy - just set up a campaign, add the description, and turn on the LFG (looking for group) listing. You can also make a post in the Looking for Group Roll20 forum.

For in-person games, there's always social media.

Eltab

Lord of the Hidden Layer
Go ahead and close out the mini-campaign with the puzzle / lock.

Keep your notes about your homebrew world - you will want them again when the taste of this bad experience finally gets out of your mouth.
And, of course, you can invite the apologetic friend to play again - as part of a larger group.

robus

Lowcountry Low Roller
Supporter
I recommend joining a local board game meetup and recruiting players from that (after attending a few meetups of course :) )

JonnyP71

Explorer
The cleric is telling me that "it's just her personality" and that it's unfair to gang up on her when she hasn't done anything wrong

From what I can remember she was the cause of all the problems. It's a bad sign if she tries to turn it around and make out she's a victim....

The last time I had a player problem the argument showed signs of rumbling on and on via our group's message board - all the other players had said I was adjudicating things correctly but he would not have it... until I said:
"Look, xxxx, it's clear you are either wilfully ignoring what I'm saying, or you've simply failed to read it. If you make another post here, or a comment, which shows to me that that you have not gone back, read my previous posts and understood them, then I will not be DMing for you again. Think about it."

The argument ended at that point.

Wednesday Boy

The Nerd WhoFell to Earth
I recommend not doing the water puzzle. From reading your other post it's perfectly fair for you to be ready to fold this campaign. But don't end it with the water puzzle. It's passive aggressive and it will only contribute to bad feelings. If you're done with the campaign, save yourself the negativity and end the campaign now. If you're still interested in running a campaign with your players, start a new one with hard and fast character creation rules and expectations at the table, and let them join or not.

Ancalagon

Dusty Dragon
I recommend not doing the water puzzle. From reading your other post it's perfectly fair for you to be ready to fold this campaign. But don't end it with the water puzzle. It's passive aggressive and it will only contribute to bad feelings. If you're done with the campaign, save yourself the negativity and end the campaign now. If you're still interested in running a campaign with your players, start a new one with hard and fast character creation rules and expectations at the table, and let them join or not.

It depends on how the water puzzle is built but it could be perceived that way by the vampire player...

BTW, "wants to play a vampire" is a red flag IMO. I'm not saying all people who play vampire PCs are bad! I'm sure many are fine upstanding citizens. But it's a warning sign...

schnee

First Post
Nah, be the bigger person and call it a day. Tell them something neutral, like 'you want different things out of a game, that's not going to change, so we shouldn't try to make it work.'

Make a new game, don't invite the bad players, and move on.

Wednesday Boy

The Nerd WhoFell to Earth
It depends on how the water puzzle is built but it could be perceived that way by the vampire player...

I suppose Ahriri could build one that wouldn't be perceived negatively but their "what an innocent coincidence" comment makes it seem intentionally vindictive. To me it's not worth the negativity to build an blatantly vindictive puzzle nor worth spending time and effort to design a vindictive puzzle that's disguised as an innocent one. If the game is done, end on good terms and pour your creative energy to something positive instead.

Remove ads