• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Pathfinder 1E Divine spell failure

Ezequielramone

Explorer
I have a doubt. The rules says that only arcane casters incours in arcane spell failure (asf).
That happens when the arcane caster wears armor and try to cast one spell with somatic component.

I can't find any good reason why clerics or oracles that cast using armor and spells with somatic components doesn't have that asf.

Is there an explanation somewhere?
Am I missing something?

was

Adventurer
...Casting arcane spells is a bit more complicated. Arcane spellcasters are trying to tap into the natural weave of magic, using their own abilities to control and shape that raw power into the results that they desire.

...Divine power comes straight from a cleric's/oracle's connection to their deity. The deity acts as an intermediary, helping the caster to channel and shape the magic to the desired results.

...The assistance of a deity, in terms of controlling the raw power of magic, makes it easier for divine casters to control/cast their spells. Thus, it is less likely that physical encumbrances would negatively affect their ability to control their spells while casting.

...Of course, that's just my take on it.

Last edited:

was

Adventurer
So, for you the only difference is the deity's assistance. Only this fact makes their somatic components easier?

...I don't know if it's the only factor, but I do think that it's the main one. When Clerics/Oracles pray for their spells, the deities shape the magic into the proper form and then deliver them pre-formatted. Thus, divine casters do not have to directly deal with forcing the raw magic into their desired shape.

...Of course, arcane casters do not subsequently have to worry about keeping their deities happy, or following their commands, in order to access magic. Cleric/Oracles with pissed off deities find themselves suddenly devoid of magic.

Arcane spell failure applies only to arcane spells, not to divine spells.

There is no written explanation for why this is, other than, 'them's the rules.'

The explanation given by [MENTION=24488]was[/MENTION] is as good as any.

delericho

Legend
I can't find any good reason why clerics or oracles that cast using armor and spells with somatic components doesn't have that asf.

Bottom line is: that's the rules.

As for why, it goes right back to the earliest versions of the game where Wizards were banned completely from wearing armour (and certainly couldn't cast spells in armour), while Clerics could wear any armour (and could cast spells in that armour).

It's also worth noting that in those earliest versions of the game, Clerics got weaker spells that Wizards, because their casting was a much less significant part of the class. That's no longer quite so true in 3e/PF.

Ezequielramone

Explorer
I see. I remember reading something like that with clerics and hammers, it was like they can't use sharpened weapons because of the blood....
I think the explanations that [MENTION=24488]was[/MENTION] gives could work for me.
Thanks you all.

delericho

Legend
I see. I remember reading something like that with clerics and hammers, it was like they can't use sharpened weapons because of the blood....

Aye. Again, that was a pre-3e thing, where Clerics could only use bludgeoning weapons, and it was indeed justified by being about them not being allowed to spill blood. (The original Cleric being inspired, at least in part, by Bishop Turpin, who was one of the Twelve Peers of Charlemagne. Well, him and Peter Cushing's Helsing.)

Though, again, to a large extent it was a game-balance thing, in that bludgeoning weapons just did less damage, and the ability to use the best weapons was limited to Fighters (and similar). Certainly, in a world with a dedicated god of war, it makes little sense to argue that Clerics are barred from spilling blood! (And that's aside from the assumption that a blow from a morningstar doesn't spill blood!)

Scorpio616

First Post
Divine spells were gifts from the gods, with less options, less directly powerful than arcane spells and with only 7 levels of spell power. As editions went on, eventually clerics got 9 levels of spells and much broader selections.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads