• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Divine Spells with Arcane Material Component?

Kai Lord

Hero
Oh brother. Its "munchkin" to expect a divine spellcaster to not have to pay an arcane component cost? So I guess an Arcane Archer just needs a level of cleric to satisfy the "must cast 1st level Arcane Spells" prereq? After all, for non-munchkins the words are apparently interchangeable....

Laslo Tremaine

Explorer
Anubis said:
That said, the book clearly states on page 151 (under the description of "Divine Focus") that when "M/DF" is listed for a spell (i.e. Identify, Invisibility, Horrid Wilting), that means Arcane casters use a Material Component (listed as Arcane Material Component for reference) while Divine casters use a Divine Focus (holy symbol).

Perfect! Thanks Anubis, that's exactly what we were looking for, she will be glad to know that I have been proven wrong!
;)

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
Stoneskin, provided by the Strength(?) domain, also has an arcane material component. However, it is a 6th level spell for that domain. For a 2 level bump, I say it is ok to not have the component.

Strength and Earth Domains.

Components of Stoneskin are "V, S, M", not "V, S, M/DF".

The granite and diamond are listed as "Material Components", not "Arcane Material Components".

Clerics pay 250gp per casting too :)

-Hyp.

Anubis

First Post
No problem. I try to help as much as I can. Sometimes it's just a matter of the person who knows the rule happening upon the thread, a matter of luck.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads