DM Brainiac's Prison of the Firebringer (Updated 12/21/05)

Who is your favorite character in "The Firebringer?"

• Allanon Harpell

Votes: 1 4.3%
  • Berek Onyxstout

Votes: 2 8.7%
  • Gillian Lightfoot

• Grundar

• Jelani Sandulf

• Rhys Thurn

Votes: 2 8.7%
  • Rumar Destare

• Terenon

Votes: 14 60.9%
  • Other (explain in post)

Votes: 0 0.0%

ltclnlbrain

First Post
Actually, getting somebody else to cast true resurrection isn't that much more expensive then casting it yourself, relatively speaking. The major cost of the spell comes from the material component: a diamond worth 25,000 gp. Even if Rhys could cast the spell, he'd still need that component. You'd save a little more than 1500 gp each time, though.

ltclnlbrain

First Post
Hmm, I think I much prefer these short updates to the massive ones you guys are used to getting. They may not contain as much material, but at least I can get them out faster. Enjoy this latest installment. :)

Chapter 27

The battle raged on around him, but Terenon was not worried. The magic of his cloak had been successful, and the wizard’s mind was now split in twain. Thoughts raced back and forth between Bazim-Gorag’s skulls in the blink of an eye as he formulated a plan.

A blast of cold lightning sprang from Allanon’s fingertips, tearing open vicious wounds in the dragons and their riders and leaving them rimed with frost. More rays sailed through the trees as Terenon, with the benefit of a fly spell he had already cast, rose into the air. The mage saw Grundar, though horribly wounded, manage to dodge aside a black ray. Rumar, who had just managed to get untangled from the tree branches, was struck by a yellow ray that seemed to slow his movements, and Rhys grunted as a green ray tore into his shoulder. Then Terenon was above the treeline and could see the source of the rays.

The bulbous form of Orichalxos the beholder-mage floated in the clearing. Eight images of the aberration twisted and danced about as the aberration continued its horrid spellsong. The mage spared the beholder only a passing glance before swiveling around to face the three dragons, already beginning to barrel toward him, claws outstretched. The githyanki riders lowered their lances, ready to skewer the apparently defenseless target.

The fools.

“You picked the wrong mage…” began the first of the slaadi skulls as Terenon’s hands began a series of complicated gestures.

“…to mess with,” completed the second as Terenon released his spells.

He made a grasping motion with his left hand, and the githyanki riders suddenly froze in place, paralyzed by the powerful spell. He then thrust forth his right hand, shooting forth an enormous cone of bitter cold coupled with shards of tearing ice. One of the dragons plummeted from the sky, its wings torn asunder by the spell. It spiraled down into the forest, snapping its neck against a tree before impacting the ground with enough force to sever its rider’s spine.

With but a thought, Terenon released the spells he had stored in a sequencer earlier that morning. Twelve rays of sonic force sprang from his forehead, six crashing headlong into each of the remaining wyrms. The dragons wailed in anguish as the energy rays battered them about, wails that were abruptly cut off as their bodies reached the threshold of the punishment they could take. Two more holes were torn in the canopy as the wyrms fell from the sky.

Down below, Jelani and Rhys completed their summoning spells. Jelani had conjured forth two glowing balls of light, lantern archons, and he instructed them to head out into the clearing. A few celestial griffons emerged from Rhys’ portal, and the priest had them remain nearby as the rest of the group advanced on the clearing.

Grundar grunted as he staggered up to a tree and activated his ring of blink. He had learned his lesson from the lance strike, and he wanted to be sure he was well protected once he reached the clearing. As he looked up, though, he heard a crackling noise and instinctively pulled back. The elf winced as an enormous bolt of lightning struck Jelani and knocked the theurge back before arcing over to Allanon and Rhys. All of them cried out in pain as the electricity played over their bodies. Grundar began to move over to help them, when their came several flashes of light.

When the light cleared, four creatures stood in the party’s midst. They appeared to be crosses between githyanki and red dragons, with scaled red skin, shaggy black hair, and large, ridged ears. They raised greatswords that seemed to be made of liquid silver and prepared to strike.

“Look out!” the elf cried.

ltclnlbrain

First Post
Chapter 28

Rhys stepped back in surprise as the four draconic githyanki materialized nearby. He parried one of the creature's strikes with his dragon-headed staff as he put his back against a nearby tree. He managed a glance off to his right, where the celestial griffons he had summoned were milling about, awaiting orders.

"Griffons of Torm! Take them out!" he called. The great winged beasts wasted no time, pouncing upon the gith warriors and savaging them with their leonine claws. The aasimar smiled in satisfaction as the griffons beat back the three warriors...wait, three? Where was the fourth one?

A noise behind Rhys alerted him to danger, and he whirled around to see the final githyanki warrior behind him, its silvery sword already angling in toward his midsection. The gith grinned in savage satisfaction, but the grin abruptly turned to a snarl and his eyes widened as the point of a rapier exploded through his chest. Rhys stepped back from the githyanki's now-futile swing as the warrior toppled over, revealing Grundar standing over his fallen form.

"Thanks," said Rhys.

Grundar smiled and shot him a brief salute. "Let's get those other three," the elf said, but he had to turn his head as a blast of freezing cold filled the woods. When the frost cleared, the celestial griffons were standing triumphantly over the frozen corpses of the other warriors.

"Already taken care of," Jelani said smugly, floating several feet off the ground.

Meanwhile, Rumar had untangled himself from the trees was making a beeline straight for the clearing. From his vantage point, he could see the source of the previous lightning bolt: a female githyanki clad in tight linen wrappings that didn't seem to be filling their primary purpose. Near her floated a large disk of force upon which rested two large chests and a scepter; the scepter of the ar-magus, the very scepter that Yarrick Zan had procured from the hoard of the Firebringer.

But the paladin's focus was on the vile beholder-mage. Unfortunately, it seemed that Orichalxos' focus was on Rumar as well. Three of the aberration's eyes angled upward and fired off green, red, and black rays respectively. The paladin grunted as the magic tore at his flesh and his soul. The beholder-mage altered the pitch of its spell-song, and several missiles of magic energy and a large lightning bolt shot forth at Rumar.

"We need to take it out!" Rumar called. "Now!"

Terenon surveyed the destruction he had wrought on the dragons and their riders with satisfaction. The battle continued to rage around him, but he didn't seem to take notice. However, once Rumar called out for aid, the mage calmly swiveled in the air and looked down into the clearing. He nodded, and the two slaad heads began chanting in unison. Terenon held both of his hands straight out, and the mage was nearly knocked back as twin lightning bolts shot out from his hands and straight at Orichalxos.

Surprised, the thing was caught by both bolts; its song abruptly became a screeching scream of pain as the energy coursed through its body. Its eye stalks began to melt and burst, and through its empty central eye, the adventurers could see arcs of electricity playing about the cavity. Smoke rose from its fried carcass as it slowly drifted to the ground and was still.

The githyanki woman spat something in her own tongue as she hustled over to the disk of force. She grabbed the scepter and began to concentrate, her form growing insubstantial. Then, she was gone.

ltclnlbrain

First Post
Chapter 29

Grundar blinked a bit to clear the disorientation from the teleportation spell. One would think that he'd be used to it by now, but there was still something unnatural in traveling hundreds of miles in the blink of an eye. An icy wind blew across the cold grasslands, announcing winter's steady approach.

The elf looked around a bit to get his bearings. The only thing that divided the fields of white snow on his left and right were the tracks of wagons, horses, and boots that had passed this way before. Falling snow stung his face with the bite of frost, needlessly reminding him of the lateness of the season.

Only a few days had passed since the battle in the Selskar Vale. Though Orichalxos had been slain in the fight, the githyanki mage had absconded with the scepter of the ar-magus. As the party had approached the barracks house, they could see that it had been fixed up somewhat from their last visit. Iron shutters now adorned the windows, and it seemed that the roof had been repaired. The doors were hot to the touch, and they were assaulted by a blistering heat when they opened them.

Inside was a ghastly sight; a sunken pool of boiling mucous filled the room with a horrid stench. Partially immersed in the foot-deep pool were dozens of large gray eggs covered with red speckles. Terenon announced that they appeared similar to red dragon and githyanki eggs, possibly belonging to the hybrid warriors they had fought. Unfortunately, there was nothing beyond the eggs to signify what the githyanki had planned for the Vale. Taking the eggs to a safe location, the party was forced to withdraw from the Vale with no solution to this mystery.

And from that place of heat and flame, they came now to a land of wind and snow. The tiny hamlet of Finch was the northenmost outpost of humanity south of the Spine of the World, far to the north and west of Silverymoon. They had come here hoping to find clues to the location of the lair of the white wyrm Acessiwal. The dragon had secretly been the one who had hired them to take on the Acolytes of the Hidden Flame and the slaad lord Bazim-Gorag, the Firebringer. With the cultists out of the way, the wyrm was now free to pursue his own schemes of domination. The party was determined to make surer that this did not come to pass.

Grundar turned to his companions, smiling wryly. "Hey Terenon, aren't you glad we are dressed appropriately for the trip this time?"

Terenon couldn't help but grin. The elf was referring to the time that they had entered a teleportation circle in the Dungeon of the Ruins that had transported them to the Sea of Moving Ice...but their clothing and equipment had been left behind. Fortunately, the mage had another teleport spell prepared to bring them back before anything untoward could occur. This time, each member of the party had purchased heavy fur clothing to insulate them from the cold. Each of them also sported a pair of magical boots that allowed them to travel over snow and ice without difficulty.

"Indeed," said the mage. "It would have been even more interesting if Allanon had accidentally transformed himself into a woman before we stepped into the circle."

The wild mage, who sported new magical robes of the purest white, feigned anger at the remark. "You're just mad that I looked better than you did," he said indignantly.

All three friends laughed at the good-natured joking. Ahead of them, Rumar turned his helmeted head over his shoulder, his golden eyes showing obvious disapproval. Beside the paladin, Rhys smiled and shook his head. "Let them have their fun," he said. "Laughter is good for the soul. The time will come for duty soon enough."

Rumar turned forward once more, his heavy armor creaking as he walked. "I only hope that they can quell their passions long enough this time to remember their duty. The battle with Bazim-Gorag may not have been so disastrous if they had waited long enough for me to return."

Rhys said nothing. The priest had been one of the casualties of that fight, along with both Grundar and Jelani. The entire party could have easily been wiped out had Torm not been with them that day. What would his parents have thought of him then, Rhys wondered.

The priest's musings were interrupted as Jelani descended in front of him. The mystic theurge adjusted his wide-brimmed feathered hat and gestured to the north.

"There's a small village up ahead. It must be Finch. It seemed like a lot of people were heading this way, and in a hurry."

"Then let us not delay," said Rumar, striding off through the snow.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It was only a few minutes later that the party intercepted the group of emigrants. They looked to be simple villagers, mostly humans except for a gnome woman who led them. They were moving quite quickly, and the majority of them bore fearful expressions. Some of them--including the gnome--were armed. The woman hailed the group as they approached. "Turn back! A demon has taken Finch!" she shouted.

Grundar stepped forward in the gnome's path, forcing her to stop her panicked flight. "What is this demon you speak of? We may be able to help you get rid of it."

"I'm Cirilli," said the gnome. "Cirilli Treetopweaver. I'm the constable's deputy in Finch, the village there. My home.

"You have to turn around! Finch isn't safe. An hour ago, a great white demon flew down from the sky! It landed right outside Saul's store, next to the old shrine! We all ran before it could kill us...

"Constable Helmyr and I usually handle things like drunken trappers and hunters, not demons. It looked like a massively muscled man covered in white scales, with icy breath that spewed forth from its mouth as it roared. We've heard rumors of this demon before. According to some of the rumors, villagers returned to their town after a few hours to find nothing missing and the demon gone.

"Those are just rumors though, and we can't take that risk. We're heading to another settlement southeast of here to wait out the creature, then we'll come back in a few days. I suggest you do the same."

Rhys spread his arms in a calming gesture. "Please, people, do not let despair take hold. I am Rhys Thurn, a priest of Torm. My companions and I will see what we can do about this demon."

Jelani nodded. "I shall fly ahead and see what's going on in the village." He glanced at Rumar. "Care to join me?"

Rumar's gaze had been locked on the village in the distance ever since the first cry of 'demon.' He nodded as he readied his shield and sword. "It would be risky to go alone. If you wish to travel there I will come along to make sure nothing goes awry."

The two took to the air and were gone.

Last edited:

ltclnlbrain

First Post
Chapter 30

Smoky plumes rose from the chimneys of Finch, but nothing stirred among the stone houses or humble dwellings of wood and thatch. The village looked abandoned, and there was no sign of the threat that drove the people away.

As the mystic theurge and paladin landed in the hamlet's central square, Rumar cocked his head to the side. Noises were coming from a nearby building labeled "Tratern's Goodstuffs." The aasimar gestured to the building, and Jelani nodded before silently creeping to the window. Peering inside, he could see that the store was cluttered and cramped. Boxes laid stacked about the walls and carpets, coats, and furs littered the floor without any apparent organization.

Standing near one wall was a six-foot-tall humanoid creature wearing a breastplate that was either painted white or polished to such a degree so as to create the effect. Indeed, it was difficult to distinguish at a glance where the armor ended and the creature's scaly white skin began. A thin red cloak added the only color to its appearance. At a distance, the creature might have passed for a pale human. Up close, the sharpened claws, reptilian eyes, and long teeth marked it as...something else.

The creature was buisly looking over the shelves along the far wall. A small collection of things--mostly foodstuffs--had been stacked on the floor next to the creature.

Jelani looked the creature up and down, a thin smile coming to his lips. He had to give the fellow one thing: he was quite the snappy dresser. He turned to Rumar and gave an 'all-clear' signal, then strode brazenly into the store. "You don't look like much of a demon to me, but maybe that's just the life experience," he said aloud.

The creature turned to regard the two men as they entered the shop, its nostrils flaring as its gaze fell upon them. "My name is Taigiel," it said in unaccented Common. "You do not have the look of a villager about you. And you are not afraid. You have no reason to be: I will not hurt you. People tend to run before I have a chance to explain myself though. The curse of my heritage no doubt."

"Maybe it's rude to ask, but I just have to know: Why did you stop at the shrine first?” Though Jelani's tone was matter-of-fact, there was just a touch of a grin on his face.

"My mother always taught me to honor the gods. It is a good practice in this unforgiving land. Wherever I go, I am feared and reviled. Demon, they call me. Devil. Monster. I am none of these, yet no village, town, or city of men will accept me. I am the son of Acessiwal, the infamous white dragon of the tundra. I traveled far from these cold lands to escape my terrible birth and the curse my father bequeathed to me. Now, I have returned to fulfill my destiny. You are adventurers, yes? I am curious as to your reason for being here."

“Soon you will not be the only one feeling the curse of your father," said Jelani. The theurge leaned against the store's wall, arms crossed. "We have learned of plans that he has to conquer this area, all the way down past the great city of Silverymoon. I’m not in the business of limiting people’s choices; the goddess would not look kindly upon that. So we are here to stop your father and his minions, before he imposes his will upon too much of the world. And what of your own plans…this destiny of which you speak?”

Taigiel nodded, his face set with grim determination. "I have trained and readied myself, searching for a band of heroes to help me slay my father. By ending the dragon's terrible reign, I pray that the gods will grant me peace. Perhaps then, people will see me as something more than a monster. I beg for your help. I want nothing in return--no glory, riches, or fame. I just hope that once Acessiwal is dead, the gods shall grant me peace and rest."

Rumar watched the interchange impassively, unobtrusively narrowing his eyes. Mortal flesh could be deceiving; the half-dragon's soul would reveal the truth.

Jelani only partially suppressed a laugh at Taigiel’s words, instead just letting out a snort. “People will see you as a monster whether or you slay your father or not. But it is worth doing in any case, and there will be those who know of your great deed, which could help a bit. Those who’ve seen more of the world will be more likely to see you as a person than a monster; but they would have before. Your help would be welcome but we’ve learned that he has at least one child helping him; your brother or sister. Just how far are you willing to go with this, Taigiel?"

Taigiel thumped his right hand across his chest and stared at Jelani with determination in his reptilian eyes. "I swear by Tempus that I will fight beside you until either I or Acessiwal lie dead and bleeding on the icy plains. I will slay all of his vile progeny, all of my brothers and sisters, if it means being able to confront my father once and for all. I can take you to Coldheart, the lair of the white wyrm, if you decide to fight alongside me. Together we can rid my father's stain from this world."

"A bold statement," Rumar said abruptly, sheathing his sword. He had found no problem with the dragonspawn nor his claims. "Let us go rejoin the others then - best you remain behind us initially, so they do not grow alarmed at your sight and attempt to slay you. At least until we explain you mean no harm."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Why now?" asked Terenon. "What has changed, that you race to destroy your family?"

Taigiel fixed the mage with a solemn expression. "I was forced to flee my hometown of Latona at the age of ten. I kept to the wilderness, ashamed of my heritage, and waging a private war against orcs, ogres, and other evil creatures of the lands. Three months ago, wracked with despair and loneliness, I came across an abandoned shrine to Tempus. There, I heard a voice. It could only have belonged to the god himself. The voice pronounced that only with the death of my sire could I be free."

Taigiel thumped his hand to his chest and nodded. "Acessiwal must die. That is all there is to it."

Terenon gave a slight smile and said, "Who am I to argue with a god?" He turned to his other companions and looked into each of their eyes. "Well, as the barbarians say, 'don't look a gift horse in the mouth.' But we can't run around with him looking as he does. We will need to disguise him. I have nothing long-lasting to accomplish that. Perhaps we can get him an item to aid in that." Terenon knew it was a bit rude the way he talked about their new addition, but such half-breeds were distasteful to him. Like a wild animal, one could turn on you at any moment.

Terenon addresseds Taigiel once more. "It would seem we have the same goals. I have no objections to you joining us. However, I do not speak for everyone. If you are to join, tell us your skills and what you can bring to our cause. Information? Sword arm? Magic?"

"I am quite skilled with sword and bow, and I know the ways of the tundra well," said the half-dragon. There was no pride evident in his voice: he was merely stating facts. "I am adept at staying alive in the wilderness and tracking creatures across the frozen plains. I can also cast a few spells, though nothing too spectacular. I also know the approximate location of Acessiwal's lair. A few weeks ago, I was met by a pair of my father's servants outside of Latona and told how to reach Coldheart so that I might return to my father's side and help him enslave the southlands. I spat on their offer and fled."

"An extra blade by our side certainly won't hurt," said Grundar. "I say we let him join us."

"Aye," seconded Allanon. "Welcome to the group."

Taigiel nodded. "You will not regret this decision."

"We'll see," said Terenon. "Now, we need to--"

The sound of heavy footfalls interrupted whatever the mage was about to say. Whirling to the north, the party saw three nine-foot tall creatures striding toward them. Glistening against the icy background, they resembled humanoid skeletons either encased in or composed of solid ice. Their arms ended in wickedly sharp claws.

"Servants of Acessiwal!" cried Taigiel.

"So soon?" asked Grundar.

Last edited:

Grundar

First Post
A new adventure begins

It took awhile, but we finally started a new module. Reading it again brought back some memorable moments.

ltclnlbrain

First Post
Chapter 31

Rhys peered at the icy monstrosities, holding forth his holy symbol. "They are constructs, not undead. May Torm's celestial flames reduce these things to water!" A roaring column of divine flame engulfed the ice golems, melting the snow at their feet. The golems, while not damaged, were slowed by the spell, and their movements turned to jerky lurching as they approached.

Grundar loosened his bow and fired off an arrow toward the golems, but the projectile merely broke against its thick hide. "I hate constructs!" the rogue cursed. "Stupid boneheads."

"These things are resistant to normal weapons and most magic," said Taigiel. "It will take some time to wear them down directly."

Rumar leveled his blade at the creatures, backpedaling as they slowly, mindlessly advanced. He looked over his shoulder at the others, disbelief evident in his golden eyes. "We could always just walk away from them, I suppose."

"I've got an idea," said Jelani, smiling thinly. He stepped up beside the paladin and unleashed a spell, sending a cone of cold at the golems. It did not hurt them, but that was not the plan. Rhys' flame strike had melted the snow and ice around the golems' feet, and now their legs were mired in the slush. The melted snow flash-froze again as Jelani's spell hit it, and the golems' feet were stuck fast in solid ice.

"Nice work!" said Grundar. "That should hold them for a while."

"Let's leave them here," said Terenon. "No need to risk ourselves needlessly. They seemed to me to be attuned to Taigiel; no doubt Acessiwal sent them to track him down."

Rumar stepped back, wearing an expression of worry. "I take little heart in our inability to defeat Acessiwal if we are unable to vanquish its minions," the paladin says unceertainly, turning to give the golems a second glance, "Especially if they were sent expecting to encounter only one warrior. The fact that we will now have to worry whether or not these things will free themselves and fall upon us at an inopportune time is also hardly a good thought."

"If they are like most golems, they will be vulnerable to adamantine weapons," said Allanon. "We should find some before we go much further, if we wish to have a means of hurting these things later on."

Taigiel nodded. "We will head north to Latona. Let us be on our way." With that, the half-dragon began leading the group across the winterlands.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Helios stood before an amethyst pedestal carved to resemble a coiled purple worm, a bright crystal orb clutched in its toothy maw. He gazed intently at the image the orb showed him: three of his ice golems buried in ice and snow, struggling to be free. The wizard grimaced as he stared at his creations' failure. He was certain Taigiel would have been captured had it not been for the resourcefulness of the band of adventurers who arrived a few minutes before his golems did, the very band of adventurers he had been keeping an eye on for over a month now.

It was now quite obvious that the bribe had not been successful: Terenon and the others were coming for Acessiwal, and they would be here soon. Helios tapped a finger against his chin as he thought about what to do next, then nearly jumped as a pair of hands clasped him by the shoulders.

"You really are tense, little one," a sultry voice whispered in his ear. Helios looked over his shoulder to see the snake-woman Akasa standing behind him. The wizard let out a sigh and turned back to the crystal ball.

"Having to deal with a demon that is constantly and suddenly appearing behind me doesn't do much to alleviate that," he retorted.

Akasa's upper hands begin to massage Helios' shoulders, while her middle hands kneaded his back and her lower hands wrapped around his waist. "You need not fear me, Helios. If I had wanted to kill you, I would have impaled you with my swords and crushed your puny bones with my tail weeks ago." The demon smiled coyly, eliciting a shudder from Helios.

The wizard squirmed his way out of Akasa's grasp, causing a pout to spread across her beautiful features. "Look, do me a favor and get those golems out of the ground. I have business to attend you and I don't appreciate you snooping around."

"Snooping?" Akasa asked, a wounded expression on her face. "Oh, how polite you are! I look out for your interests, keep Acessiwal in the dark about your plotting on the side, and you accuse me of snooping? That's no way to treat a friend."

"You are not my friend," said Helios coldly, then he sighed. "Fine then, what are you doing?"

The demon smiled, her eyes glittering dangerously. "Snooping," she said, then she disappeared.

Helios rubbed his temples with the heels of hands. That demon-bitch was a severe risk to his operations; given the chaotic nature of demons, there was always a chance she would go straight to Acessiwal and rat him out, but as long as he kept her happy and kept the true extent of his plans unknown to her, her aid was worth it. Looking back into his crystal ball, he saw Akasa helping the golems be free of their imprisonment. He mentally commanded them to follow the group north, hoping to overrun them, but now that they were getting close, extra steps needed to be taken. It was time to call in the wild card.

Helios waved his hand over the crystal ball, and the image changed to show a sparsely furnished room. A beautiful half-elf woman sat cross-legged on a plush pillow. Her eyes were closed as if in meditation, but after a few seconds they opened and stared directly at the scrying sensor. "I have been waiting for you to contact me," she said. "What would you have me do?"

Helios muttered the brief words to a spell to allow him to communicate with the woman over the great distance between them. "Terenon and his friends will be in Latona in the next few days. Do not let them leave."

The woman nodded. "Of course. Latona will be the end of their journey, in more ways than one."

Helios waved his hand once more, and the crystal ball went dark. These adventurers were canny, but should they escape the trap, he still had one more ace in the hole. The girl...

Faulkin

First Post
More! More!

I was referred to your site by Terenon, and I must say the story is awesome! I read the entire thing in about 2 days, and loved every minute of it.

When are you going to post some more?!

BTW, since I work with Terenon I've convinced him join the game again, so he should be back soon!

Remove ads