DM question: how much do you incorporate PC backgrounds into the campaign?

hawkeyefan

Legend
Bayesian probability analysis. Estimate the likelihood that someone would have made a given decision on the basis of honest character interpretation, compared to the likelihood that they would make that decision on the basis of some other motive. If an observation is too improbable, then we can feel a degree of confidence in how it came about.

The likelihood of an adventurer walking into a dungeon and immediately proceeding to the treasure, without hesitation and without triggering any of the traps along the way, is too small to really consider. Call it one-in-a-thousand, if we're being generous.

The likelihood of a player having their character act in such a manner, if they've read the source material, is much greater. Call it one-in-ten.

Given the relative likelihood of the observed outcome, given those possible motivations, we should believe that it's one hundred times more likely that the player is cheating than that they are not.

This one I'll give you, because that player has a challenge before them, and they've acquired an unfair advantage to defeat that challenge. In this case, sure, I'd agree that this is a form of cheating, and I wouldn't advocate for it.

But this kind of example wasn't really what we were discussing.

And likewise, with a DM manipulating the background to contrive drama for the players. If there are a dozen evil cultists, then there would be a one-in-twelve chance that the character's brother is the one sent on the mission to where the PCs happen to show up, if the DM was acting impartially. If the DM was acting on a bias to create drama, then the likelihood of that outcome is much closer to eleven-in-twelve. Thus, given the observation that the brother does show up, we should believe that it's eleven times more likely that the DM is acting with bias than that they are not.

Okay.....how does a DM not contrive drama for the players? Do your characters all remain on the farm and you play out their weekly trips to market?

You act as if coincidence is bad......but it'd all be coincidence, wouldn't it? Oh, you guys showed up in a new town.....there just so happens to be a bandit problem here! Oh, you went on to the next town.....my, my there are some ruins nearby where strange things are happening....imagine that!

You're making up stuff for the players to engage with. It's all made up.....it is not a real world.

It also exists in the therapist's office, the war room, and any number of other scenarios where our true goal is to understand what someone else is thinking. Sometimes, it even exists in this very forum.

Right! Here you yourself explain that role-playing is a tool. It is the means used and the goal is to understand someone else. Understanding is the goal of therapy, not inhabiting a role.

The point of playing a game.....any game....is entertainment. For a RPG, adopting a role is one of the ways that you achieve that goal.

Just like so-called "players" who prioritize story-telling over role-playing.

And here's where your bias shows. Even if you don't agree that they are role-playing, they are still players in a game....your insistence to refer to them as "players" is a bit much, no?

There are lots of ways to play an RPG, but only one of those ways is actually role-playing. I'm not going around and forcing everyone else to role-play, unless they want to play at my table, in which case they've already agreed.

I'm also not going to let people get away with using weasel words to imply that out-of-character decision making (for whatever motive) is actually role-playing. Words have meaning, and to claim otherwise is disingenuous.

Words can also have multiple meanings. You've shared what you think role-playing is. You've brought up out of hobby uses, and none of those have actually fit your description, so I don't know why you introduced them to the topic.

Obviously, people have disagreed with your insistence that your definition is correct. People has asked you to cite where you get this definition. You have not done so.

So at this point, I think that it is on you to explain why we should all accept your rather specific definition of role-playing.

And that's one more little veiled insult....."weasel". This is a third time I'm going to ask you to please be respectful.

If we're going to ignore history and common sense, then nobody can ever claim to be role-playing. Labels are only meaningful if they facilitate communication, and you insist on rejecting that. Whatever. The key idea is still in the underlying process, which the label is supposed to represent.

The point of an RPG is to engage with the world as our character does, as though it was a real place, and not just a story. That's the unique thing, which distinguishes an RPG from any other type of game.

That may be a point to roleplaying, but that doesn't make it the point. Perhaps I role-play to spend some time with my friends and have fun. That's the point of it all, to me.

Meta-gaming is bad because it means you aren't doing that anymore. You aren't engaging in the world as your character would, if they were a real person, living in a real world. Once you start operating on story logic, then all you're left with is a story. It no long reflects that unique thing, which is only possible in an RPG.

Hey, I'm glad that your immersive approach to roleplaying works for you. Keep on doing it. Just stop telling others who don't adhere to that approach that they're cheaters, or weasels, or that they don't know what "true roleplaying is" and so on. Because all of that is really pure nonsense.

As if you didn't know this would be insulting?
The part where you should have moved the hell on. Because your 0 level nobody being involved with people who are powerful and important enough to be involved in high mid or high level adventures is ridiculous. And if as a GM you havent been able to build up enough shared history by then to have everyone bought in without having to drag up some backstory from way back when then you suck.

You should have done far more important things by then as part of your collective history as a group, things which are better to have as reasons for the adventure because they are from the SHARED HISTORY that was actually played rather then one characters silly origin story.

And I think 5e sucks, so referring to it as a mechanical source for a roleplaying issue is not going to get you anywhere.
So once you achieve "great things", your friends and family are dead to you? That just because you can punch things really hard or cast rare and powerful spells, that mundane concerns of life, baggage from your past, and really just being a normal, functional person are beyond you?

Well, then I hope you find some sort of greatness in your life, so your family and "friends" no longer have to deal with you.

Last edited:

Just because a playstyle differs from yours doesn’t make it cheating, doesn’t make them weasels. Different styles for different tables, right?
Hey, I'm glad that your immersive approach to roleplaying works for you. Keep on doing it. Just stop telling others who don't adhere to that approach that they're cheaters, or weasels, or that they don't know what "true roleplaying is" and so on. Because all of that is really pure nonsense.
If one of those cheating weasels shows up at my table, then they will absolutely be shown the door, because agreeing to role-play (per the understood definition) is a pre-requisite for playing in my campaign. I'm not going to waste time on someone who only shows up in order to ruin the game for everyone else.

And if the DM is the one wasting everyone else's time, by pretending to run a fair game (per the agreed-upon rules) while secretly contriving coincidences behind the scenes, then they'll quickly find themself without any players.

Meta-gamers are a plague on this hobby, who do nothing but contribute to rampant mis-trust. They have no place within the role-playing community.

If one of those cheating weasels shows up at my table, then they will absolutely be shown the door, because agreeing to role-play (per the understood definition) is a pre-requisite for playing in my campaign. I'm not going to waste time on someone who only shows up in order to ruin the game for everyone else.

And if the DM is the one wasting everyone else's time, by pretending to run a fair game (per the agreed-upon rules) while secretly contriving coincidences behind the scenes, then they'll quickly find themself without any players.

Meta-gamers are a plague on this hobby, who do nothing but contribute to rampant mis-trust. They have no place within the role-playing community.
You're really not helping your case by giving off the impression that you have paranoid delusions.

hawkeyefan

Legend

Ha okay. I’ve made several points in my posts, and you’ve chosen to ignore them, as well as my requests for reasonable and respectful discussion. Instead you double down on the loaded terms and your one true wayism.

Your posts really give off a delusional vibe. I don’t say this as a joke or a parting shot....you seem irrational and you may want to give that some thought.

Good luck to you.

Fenris-77

Small God of the Dozens
Supporter
Y'all need to stop tapping the aquarium.:p The difference between the common definition of a TTRPG, or even a very academic definition of a TTRPG, and the other definition in play here is one best measured in light years.

Ha okay. I’ve made several points in my posts, and you’ve chosen to ignore them, as well as my requests for reasonable and respectful discussion. Instead you double down on the loaded terms and your one true wayism.

Your posts really give off a delusional vibe. I don’t say this as a joke or a parting shot....you seem irrational and you may want to give that some thought.
No offense, but are you sure that you aren't describing yourself? I was the one actually resorting to logic as a means of decision-making. You're the one pushing an unreasonable agenda to alienate role-players.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
There are lots of ways to play an RPG, but only one of those ways is actually role-playing.

Mod Note:

You should be aware - the owner of this site does not buy into "One True Wayism" - and while you put a disclaimer here, that's what you are doing. If you do not have room in your head and heart for what others do, you will be asked to leave the discussion. Gatekeeping like this is not acceptable.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
You're really not helping your case by giving off the impression that you have paranoid delusions.

Mod note:

You are done in this thread. You are taking a week off from the site, as well.

Anyone else want to step over the line? This is not a time to treat each other poorly, people.

Last edited:

Remove ads