DM refuses to switch; players want to

Jack99

Adventurer
Wormwood said:
Of our core group of seven, *five* of us wanted to run 4e.

In fifteen years together, that's unprecendented.

I only mention this because I really, really hope it's the shape of things to come. But then again, I've recently become an optimist.

Yeah. We have been playing together for nearly 20 years, but the last 12 or so, I have been the only one willing to DM (more or less). Now, at least two or three others have mentioned interest in DM'ing again. I am very much looking forward to it, even though it will be a good while until my campaign is done, since we just started yesterday.

Regarding the OP's problem, I must admit that it is a hard one to answer. I would say that it depends a lot on what kind of relations you have with the group and most importantly with the DM.

My group has, as mentioned above, played together for nearly 20 years, and some of us has been friends for almost 30 years. And when I say friends, I mean best friends, we are each others best men, we see each other constantly outside gaming, dine together, party together, go on vacations together, watch and play football (the real kind, you know, soccer) together etc etc.

Therefore, our decisions regarding gaming is based on votes and debate. Luckily we usually agree on most things, so there aren't really any problems. When 3.0 came around, I said: Let's switch, I have been following the news at this awesome internet site (guess where!) and it looks like it will improve our gaming experience. The rest said: okay, and bought the books when they were released. Come 3.5, I said: Okay, you know some of the issues I have with 3.0? well it looks like they are fixing them, so we are going to switch, if that is alright with you guys. Same responce, same result.

Then 4e came along. I was getting tired of 3.5, so I said: I know you guys are fairly okay with 3.5, but it is getting a bit much to run. So I am going to switch to 4e, meaning that if you want me as a DM, it will be 4e. I will of course play 3.5 with you guys...
Everybody bought the gift set on release day.

However, I do think that groups like mine are a minority - at least, from reading on messageboards, it does seem that a lot of people game with strangers, or at least with people with whom they have little in common besides the game. If that is the case, go for what makes you happy. If you and most of the group prefers to play 4e, play that. The (former) DM can come around or not, either way, I see no reason to settle for the lesser choice. On the other hand, if the system doesn't matter, don't switch.

Cheers

nerfherder

Explorer
Storm Raven said:
If a group of players wants to play a different game, but none of them are willing to step up and GM, then I have no sympathy for them if the GM they are looking to says "I don't want to run that game system".

GMing is work. It is a labor of love for most GMs, and they do it because they enjoy it. But it is work. If you, as a player, aren't willing to step up to the plate and GM a system you want to play that the current Gm doesn't want to run, then it isn't the current GM who is selfish. It is you, and the other players.
Couldn't agree more.

Going to say I would not run a system I did not enjoy.The DM spends time making his world come alive for the players. Offer to run a few games but don't try to force a good DM to run anything he dislikes.It will lead to hard feeling and a carelessly run game no one enjoys.

Lord Zardoz

Explorer
Halivar said:
The DM recently told me he has no intentions of switching, and will not be running any 4E games. He actively dislikes the powers system (fighters, in his opinion, now cast spells), and wants nothing to do with it. This is a conundrum for us because about half the group has been vocally gung-ho on switching for months now, and has no desire to continue 3.5 whatsoever (the other half is rather ambivalent about the whole thing and just wants to push dice).

You can lead a horse to water, but you cannot make it drink. That does not mean you still have to ride it, however.

So you have an impasse, and there are a number of solutions.

1) Play 3rd Edition with that DM. You have been playing that system for years, and I presume having fun. You have someone willing to run the game, so why not go with it.

2) Play 4th Edition with a different DM. Your current DM does not like the system should not be a problem unless his presence is critical to the game being able to happen. The only person who absolutely must show up every game is the DM. The solution would then be to use a new DM.

Based on what you have said, the one thing that absolutely will not happen is getting the current DM to run a 4th edition game.

You could have the DM try 4th Edition as a player on a one off / short term game between campaigns. If he is not up for that, you will need to try to set up a new game. The only moral quandary is do you want to play 4th Edition badly enough to ruin the 3rd Edition Dm's game?

If no, then run your game on a different day of the week, or do not actively poach players from that DM's game. If you do not care, than invite everyone in the current DM's game to your game. If you get nearly all of the 3rd Edition Dm's players, his game will collapse, not leaving him with much in the way of options.

END COMMUNICATION

Remove ads