D&D 5E DMG help with converting Pathfinder adventures to 5e?

techno

Explorer
Still waiting, like many others, for my DMG. Now that it is out, is there anything in the DMG that will help make converting Pathfinder adventures to D&D 5e easier--particularly monsters, NPCs, and traps? Thanks.

fjw70

Adventurer
There are no rules for converting from any other game or edition to 5e. However, there are rules for creating those things for 5e.

Tormyr

Hero
The DMG is the finishing piece in the puzzle to be able to convert adventures to 5e, but it does not work in the manner of, "I will plug my earlier edition thing in and get what the 5e version looks like." Basically, you need to assess each encounter; replace creatures, magic items, and traps from 5e versions where available; create 5e versions from the guidelines where there is not a 5e equivalent; and adjust encounter balance to the difficulty called for in the adventure.

techno

Explorer
It would seem that making it easy for those playing your #1 competitor's (and market leader's) game to convert their adventure path content to D&D 5e would be a shrewd move on WotC's part.

Emirikol

Adventurer
Here's how you do it in the meantime:
* Look at the monster from Pathfinder
* Use an equivalent monster from the 5e monster manual.
* Perfect match is irrelevant and a waste of your time
* The heavy use of massive stat blocks in 3.5/Pathfinder for NPC spellcasters and whatnot are the same: use the "Evil Mage" from the Beginner box and run with it from there. Need a tough fighter? Use a bugbear or hobgoblin stat block.

Traps are a bit more difficult b/c we dont' have much to work with.

IMO, wasting a lot of time attempting to convert something perfectly serves zero purpose. Grab a pencil and a post-it, and make quick reference notes to your DMG.

Skill checks should also be easy to convert. They're either a 5,10,15,or 20.

I completely intend to do this for the EGYPTIAN adventure path and will probably use the pathfinder adventure paths for my future play in 5e. They're simply better playtested and have more depth of play than "simpler" dungeon crawls.

Further thoughts?

jh

DSC_0057.JPG

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
It would seem that making it easy for those playing your #1 competitor's (and market leader's) game to convert their adventure path content to D&D 5e would be a shrewd move on WotC's part.

Violating another company's trademarks is a very, very long way from a shrewd move.

Remove ads