Pathfinder 1E Dming Pathfinder for the first time.

sheadunne

Explorer
The only issue with a 15 point buy is that it hurts characters like the Monk. The monk really needs at least a 20 point buy to be on par with other classes, the same with any MAD character type.

If you're allowing archtypes, just remember that it changes what the characters can do. Rangers opening locks, Monks shooting bows, etc and that they might not be able to do what you would expect since they had to give stuff up to get the new things. You'll need to make sure they you haven't locked down the game because there's a locked door and you expected the rogue to be able to open it, but then realize that the rogue gave up the ability to get something else.

Also don't assume that PF fixed any particular problem you had with 3.5. They only fixed some stuff and left other problems alone. Make a list of the issues you had with 3.5 and then see if they were addressed with PF. I found that many of my issues weren't addressed and I had to house rule almost as much stuff as I did with 3.5, which made me wonder why I bothered to switch at all (other than the ease of running games with the APs).

Thotas

First Post
Absolutely figure out what your comfort zone is and stay in it; that's good advice for any GM no matter the game or the GM's experience with it. Any time you're not sure, err on the side of caution. Also, as has been said, know your player's PCs. Read up on all their Feats, Skills, Special Abilities and Equipment. Make a quick cheat sheet of any rules (or at least where to find them) that your read up makes you think it's likely you'll need to reference in play.

Reecius

First Post
Awesome, this was really helpful! I am returning to 3.5/PF after a long hiatus and am running my first campaign, too. My players are all really experienced, but they are not trying to create OP characters. We're using 20 points and I am allowing archetypes as well as non-core classes. I was pretty dang knowledgeable on 3.5 (at least I like to think so! haha) and with the help of my PCs, I think we will get through it without much issue. Plus, we're all good friends, so I feel like this will be good fun.

I had a question for you sheadunne, you mentioned you had to house rule a bunch of rules issues with PF, what were some of them if you don't mind? Reading through the PF books I see so much cool stuff that I like and feels like an improvement. I would like to avoid any landmines if possible. Thanks!

codpeace

First Post
I wouldn't start with RotR for your first adventure, I'd start with a dungeon crawl like crypt of the everflame or something to shake out all the rules and get accustomed to them. That way you'll be less likely to screw up a plot point in the AP that may affect the game later down the road. Just a thought.

Remove ads