• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

DMs Don't Kill PCs. PCs kill PCs.

eXodus

Explorer
well this evening we all got together for another session of d&d.

my party was trekking towards some sort of secret mysterious grove after beign assaulted in the last session by an elite striketeam of orcs.

well en route to the grove winding deep into the wilderness they decided to camp. and for one of the first times i rolled something sort of neat on the random encounter table i had.

two owlbears. those guys are cr 4. and the entire party was sixth level characters. no problem. or so i thought.

the halfling cleric/rogue cast bull's strength on the human fighter/barbarian and he tore into the first owlbear who had been previously pegged with a crossbow bolt. the elven mage dropped a flaming sphere onto the poor creature. end result, dead owlbear.

the party rogue tumbled towards the other owlbear and ended up hit and pulled into it's mighty grip. the rogue ended up at -3 hit points from all of this. thing continues, our lone owlbear was being beaten into a pulp.

and then you know what the crafty evoker does?

without even thought or hesitation he moves his flaming sphere into the square occupied by the dying owlbear and the grappled rogue. owlbear fails save. grappled rogue gets no save.

roll damage.

10 points. hmmm. by my math skills that puts our rogue at -13 hit points. and by my understanding of the rules, that makes him very very dead.

on the next round the barbarian/fighter easily dispatched the beast. and he would have easily even if the errant flaming sphere had not been moved.

so the end result was one dead rogue.

yep.

dms don't kills pcs. pcs kill pcs.

beware the killer pcs!

elf with a 19 intelligence my arse!

Malin Genie

First Post
No.

The worst deaths are not PC-caused deaths.

They are certainly not enemy-caused deaths.

The worst are deaths caused by an NPC ally who the DM decides will clear the enemies from around your fallen character by casting a fireball with you as ground zero. Casting a fireball which happened to be the spell embedded in the one charge in a wand none of the PCs saw on the evil altar (whose guardians did not include an arcane spellcaster) which he managed to get hold of and use unnoticed and unimpeded by our enemies, the 'evilness' of the wand slaying him just as he cast the spell.

If you're going to do a deus ex machina one would think you wouldn't kill one of the PCs. It's different if the PC nobly sacrifices him- or herself for the survival of the party, but to have the DM do it to you.......

tleilaxu

First Post
i don't understand why so many players have a negative relationship with the dm. my dm is good, and he is willing to play in a game some one else dm's. if you don't like your dm, then why don't you try to run the game? :)

Numion

First Post
eXodus said:

without even thought or hesitation he moves his flaming sphere into the square occupied by the dying owlbear and the grappled rogue. owlbear fails save. grappled rogue gets no save.

Although I'm a bastard DM who managed to off 25+ PCs during the return to the temple of elemental evil adventure, I would have asked at this point if the evoker really wanted to do it.

Or was he positive of the consequences of his action?

StalkingBlue

First Post
Re: Re: DMs Don't Kill PCs. PCs kill PCs.

Numion said:

Although I'm a bastard DM who managed to off 25+ PCs during the return to the temple of elemental evil adventure, I would have asked at this point if the evoker really wanted to do it.

Or was he positive of the consequences of his action?

I agree. I would have asked the player whether he was sure he wanted to steer the flaming sphere to the place *where the owlbear was grappling the rogue*. Did you play with a battlemat? Not all players have an excellent visual memory.

Leopold

NKL4LYFE
my pc's call me the player-killer DM, one guy remarked that he had never played with a DM that is out to kill PC's. I simply tell him "I don't kill you, You kill yourself." I gave them a nice long lecture on how running away is an option as well as parlaying. Arguing with someone with a 6ft great sword is not always the best policy..

in the end they prefer charging into a glorious, albiet stupid, end instead of talking...

to each their own but make they realize THEY are doing it not you..

Remove ads