D&D 5E DMs Expectations for Next

We have all manner of topics going on at any given point but sometimes it is difficult to discern the origin (PC, DM, conflation of both) of concerns, opinions and mechanical preferences. I figured I would create a thread to focus these issues from one side of the screen. Everyone who is posting on this thread, please enter DM stance before expressing any expectations relevant to your current needs as a DM. This is easy for me to do because even though I've been playing for over 20 years, I've literally DMed every bit of it (Cthulu one off evening session and a few other silly one offs here and there notwithstanding). So without further ado, my expectations for Next:

1) PCs

I expect some measure of reasonable, micro-balance within the PC build framework, enough tools for various archetype representation, and I want "what this guy is supposed to do and how he should be expected to do it" (roles?) clearly conveyed. The reasons for this are as follows:

a) I want to know what I can consistently expect from a PC regarding their mechanical output. I want the upper bounds and lower bounds of their proficiency constrained and elucidated in some capacity within the rules text. If I have these two things and I know "what they're expected to do" then I can consistently create encounters (in and out of combat) that are dynamic, compelling and in-line with my climactic expectations. Yes, there will be times when strategic play turns a difficult encounter into a walk-through. However, I would like these situations to be anomalous in the extreme. Never again do I wish (nor do my players) to construct a rich, thematically compelling, tension-inducing encounter for a plot arc climax and have it fail miserably due to the absurd lack of constraints on certain PC resources. Never again do I wish to construct an important encounter that utterly marginalizes one or more PCs due to it having to be a challenge (lest it be a walkthrough) for one overpowered build/class.

b) I want my players/friends to be able to construct and play their favored archetypes and have them be functional. Without the ability to construct them, or if their functionality is limited or incongruent with their expectations, then my PCs will lose heart, interest, and their attention will arbitrarily wax and wane.

* As a tacked-on addendum, I would like it if there was a rules module or clear, well balanced mechanical options (not merely guidelines) to downsize party (all the way to 1 PC).

2) Monsters

I expect my monsters to mechanically represent my expectations of their physiology, their tactics/abilities, and their roles/place within their tribe hierarchy or their ecology/behaviors if they are a non-social creature. I want a diverse and tactically compelling set of monsters to work with. I want their combat relevant abilities/stats self-contained to small blocks. As important, I want their functionality (such as the case with my PCs) and their math to consistently produce in-line with their XP value, CR (however it will be defined in Next) so that my built encounters (from a dynamism and a difficulty standpoint) meet my preconceptions as predicated on the rules text. I already know pretty much every monsters' lore (and I am very independent in my flavor needs) but obviously this must be fleshed out as concisely as possible.

3) Tactically Rich Combat (which, if appearing, will be Modular)

Admit that a single combat round is filled with a myriad of abstractions, from HPs to Attack Rolls to Movement, and don't try to imply the deception of action = direct, linear response from dice roll/process simulation (a singular attack role is a sequence of offensive flurries and defensive parries...not one Rock-Em Sock-Em Robot Swing - or more depending on edition). We're adults. We can handle it. Embrace it. Leverage this Abstraction. As full disclosure, I readily enjoy the tactical richness/composition of 4e Combat Mechanics. In my experience, their elegance supports the ability to easily create dynamic, compelling encounters (swiftly and consistently) filled with variety and interesting PC Decision-Points (and my own) which consistently comport with the challenge level that I expected when I composed it...and as importantly, let my players flex their chosen archetype muscles within the fiction. It doesn't have to be 4e-esque...but the design goals that make 4e tactical richness work need to be brought to bear.

4) Non-Sentient Threats

Traps, Hazards, Poisons, Diseases, Gasses, Suffocation, Environmental, Falling, etc. I want my Non-Sentient Threats to possess clear, intuitive, coherent mechanics that can threaten the PCs throughout the life of the game. It would be nice if most of these could be represented using "Track" mechanics as they functional quite well and produce the required tension (when done right). The more tools I have to create varying, genre relevant threats, the more compelling and dynamic the tension will be within the fiction (and down my players spines hopefully).

5) Divination Constraints and Hard-Coded Mechanics

This can be any of the various power Divination spells (Commune, Legend Lore, Scrying, etc) to the lower powered spells (Detect line) to their painful, at-will analog (if any exists...please no). I've said it multiple times at this point but once more won't kill me. Unconstrained, Powerful, Limited-Use Divination abilities, when adjudicated fairly as RaW, obliterate intrigue or investigatory plot arcs. Mildly-Constrained (or narrow in scope or weak in power), At-Will (or near it due to proliferation of spell slots) Diviniation abilities, when adjuticated fairly as RaW, can send a DM into a never-ending Rock-Paper-Scissors Consideration Game when composing intrigue or investigatory plot arcs. I want to create intrigue and investigatory plot arcs and I would like it if they are compelling and solvable primarily through engagement with the fiction (rather than I win buttons), but I am certainly just fine with hard-coded divination mechanics helping the fiction along. Further, I do not want it to be an exercise in agony during prep as I am attempting to contrive these arcs.

6) Constrained Transmutation (Teleportation, Flight, etc) and Conjuration (Phantom Steed, etc)

I want Exploration and Chases to maintain their relevance throughout the campaign. Unfortunately, Unconstrained, Powerful, Limited-Use Transmutation and Conjuration abilities, when adjudicated fairly as RaW, obliterate the tension/compelling nature of chases, travel to far-to-reach places or travel through inhospitable places (eg phantom steeding out of the Mines of Moria or riding eagles, or turning into an eagle, to fly to Mordor).

7) Simple, Clear, Limited Buff Mechanics

Poorly-Constrained Abjuration/Transmutationg (Buff) Interaction and stacking undermine upper and lower bounds of PC/group viability, thus creating contests that are virtually impossible to forecast. Encounter building becomes dominated by a wing and a prayer.

8) Non-Combat, Closed System, Fiction Resolution Mechanics

I have little hope for these making it into the core (which is fine). But I would like a module for resolving various, genre relevant, DnD scenes that are Meta-Game, Narrative, "Fiction First" driven, and are Closed Systems (Encounters) where players are expected and incentivized to take author stance and mold the fiction (temporarily) without my prodding. This is the best place for Player Agency (outside of some kind of narrative point system) that comes to mind for me. For a much more thorough explanation of this, hop over to Pemerton's "Why I like Skill Challenges" thread. There are a great many posts that are both great and many that illuminate the ins and outs of this sort of resolution mechanic.

9) Reputation/Honor/Fame Module

I've always found these systems (even though horrifically mechanized) to be rewarding mini-games for my players. I would like to not tack-on my own ad hoc version. A functional system with tight math would be a delight.

10) Mass Combat Module

Just as genre relevant scenes (chases) and non-sentient threats (environmental exposure) are wonderful ways to captivate PCs and create dynamic sessions, so too is mass combat (used sparingly for climactic battles). A user friendly system, with clear, concise, balanced mechanics (that allow for players to take on the role of commander of legions) and quick resolution would be ideal.

11) Clear and Concise Rules Texts

Self explanatory.

12) Rich Setting Support

I'll hearken back to 2e for this...and that's all I'll say on that...because I'm tired of writing.

So DMs. Lend me your voices! Your expectations?

delericho

Legend
I'm a DM. My favourite edition is currently 3.5e, which I enjoy a great deal, but I am also only too aware of its weaknesses. Consequently, I'm not really satisfied - I want better.

I have two expectations from 5e:

- It has to be distinctly D&D. Other game styles are absolutely fine for what they are, but I'm looking for a replacement for 3.5e, so I want it to do the same things, but better.

- It needs to be significantly better than 3.5e, good enough to compel me to switch. Moreover, it pretty much needs to do that in the core - if I have to mess about with a whole load of modules (which I read as "official house rules") then I'm almost certainly not interested.

And that's it. Meet those two admittedly intangible and subjective goals and anything else is open for discussion. Fail to meet either of them, and it doesn't matter how good the rest of the game is; it hasn't done what I want it to do.

(I do, of course, have ideas as to how I think it might best achieve those goals. But I'm not absolutely wedded to them. If they ignore everything I say, but meet my requirements, I'm in - I'm happy to admit it when I'm wrong. :) )

I'm a regular DM. Been DM'ing 2nd edition, 3rd edition, 3.5, 4E, Pathfinder, and many other systems. I have three expectations of D&D Next:

- Easy to prep for.
- Easy to run.
- Fast combats.

And two honourable mentions:

- Fun magic items disconnected from expected PC "power" (in 4E and 3E it felt like work selecting and handing out magic items)
- Easy to prep for and easy to run high-level play. (I fully expect this not to be the case.)

The only dealbreaker I have as a DM, is if the game starts to feel more like work than fun.

Last edited:

CleverNickName

Limit Break Dancing
I am a lifelong DM as well, having started back in 1986 when my mom bought me the D&D Red Box Set for my birthday (long live Bargle!) I believe that the Rules Cyclopedia was the best D&D book ever written, and it should be the standard by which all other editions of the game should be judged.

I currently run a 3.5E game with Pathfinder elements, however, because there is no longer any official support for my benchmark version of the game, and because the System Reference Document and Open Gaming License give me the tools and legal standing to modify the game as I see fit, and share it with others.

I expect all editions of D&D to evoke the same "feel" as the original Red Box Rules. I am fine with add-ons and options, like extra classes, multiclassing, non-class races, etc. And I have no problem at all with improving the mechanics, like when they simplified the save throws and got rid of THAC0. The things that disturb me the most are the things that try to change my base assumptions of the game that I have enjoyed for more than three decades: things like touchy-feely hit points, magic being ordinary and everyday, warlords that can shout people healthy, attacks that damage you even when they miss, etc. These are the things I watch for in the playtest, and the things I give the most feedback on.

If D&D Next wants me to drop my custom 3.5E/PF game and pick up their new books, they need to carefully preserve those base assumptions of the game, that old-school look and feel. I don't care so much about how they do the math; I can tweak that easily enough. I don't care about the default setting either; I have been using the same setting for 30+ years without any complaints. Tons of spells, monsters, classes, and races? I'd rather they keep that stuff small, and give me tools for creating my own...but whatever, I can always ignore them if need be. An Open Gaming License would be nice, but it's not a deal-breaker.

But if they want my money, the game must have the same look and feel as the Rules Cyclopedia...not the look and feel of, say, a comic book or Hollywood action movie. Otherwise I will politely decline.

Last edited:

Ahnehnois

First Post
I want a game that gives me character-building tools, campaign-building tools, and then gets out of my way.

I want mechanics that robustly and faithfully describe a believable fantasy reality, including but not limited to character statistics, as well as magical and supernatural elements that break limits in a variety of interesting ways. I want an involved combat system that describes choices more involved than "I attack" and health more substantively than "you take 5 damage", presented as an option but with no arbitrary restrictions or resource management. I want a skill system that simply but broadly describes a wide range of possible behaviors, and integrates with the combat mechanics. I want all the nuts and bolts for the rules presented transparently, so that I can use them as I like.

I don't care about legacy, beyond the fact that one should be able to do "classic" D&D if one desires. I don't care about balance; I'll handle that. I don't care about prep time; that's my responsibility.

Of course, if you want to be literal about it, I expect that we will get a watered-down basic D&D with few improvements and some 4e elements shoved down our throats, one that won't offer enough advantages to be worth switching. But there's always hope.

Li Shenron

Legend
My biggest expectations:

• I want a fairly reliable CR/XP system that makes it a piece of cake to combine monsters together into an encounter and assess its challenge level
  • I want combat rules that are simple enough so that I can run most combat encounters without checking the rules (checking the DM screen tables is ok)
  • I want the game not to assume anything about magic items owned by the PCs, I want to run a settings where magic items are interesting and magic shops non-existent
  • I want lots of options to focus on the exploration phase (my favourite pillar) so that I can make it interesting and engaging to the players
  • I want the game to last a fairly amount of levels before campaign-altering spells (such as Fly and Teleport) are available
  • I want monsters description to be well-organized to support the 3 pillars easily, I want good monsters pictures and a modicum amount of quality fluff
  • I want it to be definitely D&D, with all the traditional classes, races and monsters, and all its sacred cows!

I'm going to use some of your bullet points to continue...

a) I want to know what I can consistently expect from a PC regarding their mechanical output.

From my DM's point of view, I am more concerned with the amount of stuff the PC will get... If they have just enough new stuff at each level then I can handle their capabilities in advance, but if they gain too much each time then I'm sure I won't be able to.

4) Non-Sentient Threats - Traps, Hazards, Poisons, Diseases, Gasses, Suffocation, Environmental, Falling, etc.

Absolutely agree! Those are a major part of my adventures and I want the game to support them well and make them interesting... I want poisons to be device plots, not stupid damage bonuses (as if the game was scarce with them...).

10) Mass Combat Module

Only if they can succeed at providing rules that allow the PCs to affect mass combats with what they do, but not if the rules are just useless mechanics for rolling "who wins" between two armies. If it's not possible, I'll just live without mass combat rules as usual.

Mallus

Legend
I just want 5e to play faster than 3e/Pathfinder/4e and offer a few more mechanical options/customization routes for PCs than AD&D.

I'm simple!

I'd also like it if the rules came were written in a strong voice (voices) with some baked-in flavor. I'm not asking they go the Full Gygax, just a bit more personality, whimsy, and sense of playfulness please.

jcayer

Explorer
I want it to be less mechanical. It's a game played in a collective imagination, I don't need that many mechanics to make it work.

I want magic items to be fantastic again. Not just mechanical modifiers.

I want to be able to to easily create characters without using a computer.

I want a monster builder similar to what we have with 4e, but that runs quicker than molasses in January.

And amen to easy prep.

Crazy Jerome

First Post
Well, I'm not going to get the main thing I want, which would need to be the foundation of the whole design, namely the realization that in game design, sometimes "less is more". Yes, you can have too many races, classes, spells, feats, powers, items, etc. So I'd like a game that wasn't predicated on selling character building information spread over 20 odd books. Maybe if you've got 30 or so ideas in a category, give us the 10-12 best ones, and leak out the other 3-5 borderline ones over the years?

Ahem. So mostly back here on Planet Earth, I'd like the modular pieces to be constructed with serious intent to work, which means that every module joint has at least two or three things plugged into when tested, to prove that the pieces swap. If we get that, then 75% of those aforementioned books that focus on things I'm not all that interested in can be both safely ignored by me and enjoyed by their respective fans.

Then the pieces I'd enjoy would be:
  • Roughly the scope of BECMI/RC rules in combat pacing, adventure focus, etc.
  • But with the organizational/structural cleanup of 3E and the further transparency/cohesion of 4E.
  • Multiple layers of complexity, from bone simple to very complex for both monsters and characters (not necessarily the same, either, but they can be if that works).
  • 1E magic items and sensibilities.
  • An optional set of interaction and exploration systems with real mechanical heft, that really work to do what they say they do.
  • A "Dungeon Craft" series for a mostly sandbox world, constructed over time by someone who knows sandbox cold, and is willing to lay the construction out there, warts and all.
  • DM Advice writting by your wacky Uncle Gary, not Ms. Freedbush, your kindergarden teacher, that tells you stuff straight, but also indicates the reasons behind the advice -- i.e. treats us like adults.
Assuming we have all of that, then I'd also like a resurgence of the Al-Qadim setting done for the more traditional campaign set, adventure series, as this is the one really good setting they haven't revisited yet. If we don't have at least most of that, then I don't really care whether they visit Al-Qadim or not, as it will probably be botched.

I'd also like all the Dungeon adventures from issue #1 to issue #36 , whether reprinted, PDF, reworked for 5E or original, I don't care. (I've already got #26 and #29 - #36 , but the 1-36 is the span I'm interested in.)

Remove ads