D&D 5E DM's Guild: What caught your eye, and why did you buy it?

Connorsrpg

Adventurer
A separate forum is not likely. There is not one for EN5ider. It is all 5E, so it will all be discussed in the 5E forums I imagine.

Just on all of this, there is an Adventure Template, but are there other templates being used, or are authors 'dressing up' their own PDFs? Or are they modifying the Adventure one to use for archetypes etc.

Basically, I have a LOT I want to add, but not the know how on making a good looking PDF - which seems to be important in grabbing attention.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Yes, advertising your products goes in the promotions forum, as always.

Discussion of design help and the like goes in Homebrews.

Discussion of products and stuff goes here.

Generally speaking, ignore the "DM's Guild" part of it and just figure out what's the thread's purpose is. That will tell you where it goes.

This could be a nice niche for the Homebrews forum to develop a little as folks work together on stuff or offer advice on design.

LordWeh

First Post
I grabbed a few items so far... several of the 'D&D Citizens' pieces by Scott Holden (Dwarves and Elves), which I liked. It's always having more options and variety for these NPC's, so I've printed these out to use. I have some gripes about the formatting (class titles starting at the bottom of a column, then details continuing in the next column, for instance), some clumsy double spacing, etc, but content-wise I really like them.

I grabbed 'Recipe Crafting for Consumables' which I liked the sound of, although the document itself intimidated me, some of the sections are pretty complex looking. There seems to be a lot to it, no idea how balanced it may be, it'll take some 'unpacking' I think, but I'll look over it in the next few days.

I also grabbed 'Mockingbird: A Rogue Archetype' which sounded intriguing, but I'm not impressed with. Formatting, rules and flavour-wise it's really sloppy, although the author said he's working on updating it, so I'll hold my breath and check the updated version if it comes.

I also just uploaded a background myself; Keeper of Dark Secrets, I'd be welcome of any feedback, it's PWYW and feel free to go in for $0, I'm not sure it's even any good I just got excited and churned it out. Any feedback / criticism welcome.

Ath-kethin

Elder Thing
I also picked up the Gunslinger, because some old friends and I have been talking about me running a game session for my old group at our 20-year high school reunion. The criteria will be that anybody who was in my core Dragonlance campaign back then can play their favorite of their characters from any campaign I ran them in.

My roommate and I used to run one-on-one campaigns all the time, and in one of the campaigns he played a Gunslinger based off the Stephen King character. The Mercer Gunslinger might need a tweek or two to bring it in line, but it's an awesome start.

zoroaster100

First Post
I picked up the Gunslinger since I saw a couple of recommendations for it on the forums. Still haven't had a chance to read it though. I also picked up the Monster Mausoleum, Monster Expansion, Blast from the Past Monsters and several D&D Denizens files (elves, dwarves, drow, goblins and orcs). I have a feeling the Mausoleum (undead) and the humanoids/demi-humans will get a lot of use in my games).

zaratan

First Post
epic levels, just to look, I don't think the game will work in those levels.

yesterday had 13 pages, today is 22, probably a mistake.

Zalbar The Mad

First Post
...Basically, I have a LOT I want to add, but not the know how on making a good looking PDF - which seems to be important in grabbing attention.

I can do the pdf typesetting for you as long as I can cut and paste / drag and drop into fields and you're not throwing hundreds of pages of text/images at me.

If it's the basic stuff like their white template then that's dead simple. If it's more module/campaign like with full artwork, chapter headings etc like POTA, SCAG, OOTA, etc that would take more time with multiple revisions.

This is an example of my work when we were working on a community module when the WOTC D&D forums were active. Please note it is not optimised, so it's still a bit rough/low res

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B5jpg9WVvWBKM0loekpnMy03dFk/view?usp=sharing

Last edited:

Connorsrpg

Adventurer
I can do the pdf typesetting for you as long as I can cut and paste / drag and drop into fields and you're not throwing hundreds of pages of text/images at me.

If it's the basic stuff like their white template then that's dead simple. If it's more module/campaign like with full artwork, chapter headings etc like POTA, SCAG, OOTA, etc that would take more time with multiple revisions.

This is an example of my work when we were working on a community module when the WOTC D&D forums were active. Please note it is not optimised, so it's still a bit rough/low res

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B5jpg9WVvWBKM0loekpnMy03dFk/view?usp=sharing

[MENTION=6789105]Zalbar The Mad[/MENTION]. Thanks so much for the offer.

I like the work you put into that sample. Right now, I have 2 other members of our group working on something, and I haven't had a look around at any of the PDFs up on the DMGuild yet, so I am not sure what I want yet. But, if our group cannot produce something, I will definitely get back to you on that offer. Cheers, C.

Upon mention by others in this thread, I picked up the Undead Monsters Mausoleum. I like my undead (have a huge Tomb Kings army that I regularly pull models from for combats) and I had noticed that the MM really lacks for 'punchy' undead above CR2 or so. Sometimes you just want a pair of brutes to slam into the players, and the Draugir entry looks perfect for high level combats of this kind.

Serpine

Explorer
yesterday had 13 pages, today is 22, probably a mistake.

They may have expanded it. I know I've added a couple of pages to my Honeymage rules since first posting it there. Something about having a whole bunch of eyes on a document can really fuel a "well it could really use a bit more..." sort of impulse.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases